How are we doing?

  • Gary N Orpe
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
      Been a while since any post's. How are we doing with the new 5 year Rotax
      thing. How are we doing with the whole sport thing. Any good/bad stories to
      tell? How about Oshkosh, how many went? Tell us about it.

      I need something to read folks.

      Gary N Orpe
    • Helen Woods
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
        What 5 year Rotax thing?

        Helen

      • medicbill@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
          I went to Oshkosh. Seeing the Dreamliner was good. Nice machine. Also saw the new 4 place aircraft from Tecnum and Remos. actually the Tecnum was further along. The Remos was just a mock up. Unfortunately 2 people lost their lives in a J-3 Cub when they crashed into Lake Winnebago. Also has an F-16 run off the end of the runway and messed that aircraft up. Another jet ran off the end of the same runway later in the day. No injuries in either accident. Only big announcement was that Tom Porberzny was totally retiring from the EAA so for the first time in the EAA's history their will not be a Poberzny directly running the organization.  Did think we might have another Sun and Fun episode when one afternoon a cell came through kicking the wind to 40 mph. No aircraft were damaged but it tore the grounds up flipping tents, tables, papers and empty ice cream cones everywhere. Other then that it was another Oshkosh.

          Bill Bower

          In a message dated 8/3/2011 4:05:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Helen_Woods@... writes:
          What 5 year Rotax thing?

          Helen

          On 8/3/2011 5:47 PM, Gary N Orpe wrote:
          > Been a while since any post's. How are we doing with the new 5 year Rotax
          > thing. How are we doing with the whole sport thing. Any good/bad stories to
          > tell? How about Oshkosh, how many went? Tell us about it.
          >
          > I need something to read folks.
          >
          > Gary N Orpe

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Sport_Aircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Sport_Aircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bob Comperini
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
            On 04:05 PM 8/3/2011, Helen Woods wrote:
            >What 5 year Rotax thing?

            This is the new rule mandating that all Rotax owners purchase a Sea-Ray from you every 5 years :)

            Seriously, Gary's referring to the Rotax "5 year replace all rubber components in your engine" maintenance milestone.

            --
            Bob Comperini
            e-mail: bob@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011

              Looks like there was some damage to the lighter crowd: http://lessonsfromtheedge.com/b2evolution/index.php/Oshkosh/2011/07/31/what-was-it-like-at

              --
              Bob Comperini
              e-mail: bob@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
                  I thought that had been around forever?

                  Helen

                  On 8/3/2011 7:39 PM, Bob Comperini wrote:
                  > On 04:05 PM 8/3/2011, Helen Woods wrote:
                  >
                  >> What 5 year Rotax thing?
                  >>
                  > This is the new rule mandating that all Rotax owners purchase a Sea-Ray from you every 5 years :)
                  >
                  > Seriously, Gary's referring to the Rotax "5 year replace all rubber components in your engine" maintenance milestone.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Bob Comperini
                  > e-mail: bob@...
                  > WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com

                • James Lawrence
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
                    My son and I drove to Oshkosh from Texas. My project is unfinished and
                    his plane is out of annual. We hope to fly next year. It was our first
                    time there and it was great - words can not fully describe the experience.

                    I was able to get parts and information for my project. That alone made
                    the trip worthwhile but seeing countless aircraft and talking to their
                    owners and builders was an unparalleled experience.
                  • Helen Woods
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
                      I agree that this was a great year. As always, one of my favorite
                      experiences was watching to looks on the faces of CSP customers at OSH
                      for the first time. Priceless!

                      With the exception on one day, the weather was pretty good all week. I
                      mostly manned the SeaRey booth. We had quite a mob scene at the booth
                      despite being buried a bit off the beaten track. Next year with the
                      SLSA coming out we plan to have a better spot and I can't imagine the
                      crowds then. I'm hoping we'll be somewhere near the Icon booth so we
                      can go head to head with them. I'm still perplexed at the people
                      throwing money at a company that can't seem produce a single plane let a
                      lone develop a plan to handle training and insurance for it. It will
                      be interesting to see where that goes. A number of people I've spoken
                      to who have run the numbers don't see how they'll ever been able to make
                      enough planes with enough profit margin to repay their investors with
                      the cash they've spent so far. We'll see. They certainly have none a
                      lot to bring excitement back to GA and that's a good thing no matter
                      what happens to the company.

                      Got to see the 787 too. That was an impressive and beautiful plane, two
                      words I don't usually use in the same sentence with an airliner. That
                      plane is going to take over air travel and make Boeing the undisputed
                      world leader producing airliners.

                      Other good news, we finally got the USAIG insurance unerwriters up
                      flying in the SeaRey. I've been working on educating insurance
                      underwriters for several years now about just how safe the new SeaRey
                      LSX really is compared to typical amphibs and even older SeaReys. We
                      were able to bring on a second underwriter with rates about half that of
                      the first last year and USAIG was so impressed from their flights last
                      week that I would be really surprised if we don't bring on a third
                      soon. I also got the VP of underwriting for Avemco over to the booth
                      although he was too busy to fly. Avemco is here in MD so I'll get him
                      up later in our plane here at home.

                      I also got a chance to spend some time with the new owner of the SeaRey
                      company. We share common goals and values and I'm happy to see him on
                      board. He has appointed us the first US service and training center for
                      SeaRey. We'll be offering safety upgrades to older aircraft as part of
                      our service offerings and plan to have the training program in full
                      swing next year once the SLSA is delivered.

                      Good show!

                      Helen