Happy New Year

  • Rex
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
      Just wanted to wish everyone a great 2011
    • brubakermal
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2014
        last week I had a nut fall off the elevator  control linkage.   I noticed it  on the take off roll as the plane would not lift off .  after coming back to the hanger we found that 3  castle nuts in the cluster of the push pull tube  had NO cotter kea's  and never di,  d they where tightened up by bottoming out on the bolt???wtf     this plane is 7 years old and I am the 3rd owner  my A&P annulled it 3 times for me and WE never found the problem.    I looked over ALL the   assemblies that use cotter kea's and found No other   problems.
      • rstar447
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2014

          "last week I had a nut fall off the elevator  control linkage."

          Gees, that can be a little hazardous to your health! Always make positive sure that all nuts and bolts are cotter pinned on rotating parts. I would think an annual inspection would catch that.

          A friend of mine flew 100 miles without a safety ring on his wing clevis pin. I showed him that it wasn't there when looking over his plane one day and he turned white when I pointed it out.

          Ralph

        • brubakermal
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1
            were rebuilding a rans s4  I picked up at a estate sale the seller received the plane when he got the house at a tax sale  I think it will be fun to fly with a 503   and set up with a tail dragger .
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1
              I flew one and is like flying a Toy Cessna.
              Happy New Year and may all your dreams be realized.
              Frank/Puerto Rico

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jan 1, 2015, at 9:12 AM, "brubakermal@... [Sport_Aircraft]" <Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              were rebuilding a rans s4  I picked up at a estate sale the seller received the plane when he got the house at a tax sale  I think it will be fun to fly with a 503   and set up with a tail dragger .

            • circicirci
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2
                Re Rans S4...
                "...like flying a toy  Cessna..."

                With lots's of really important differences... Many desirable , others not.
                Depends quite in which Cessna you compare to. But let's say a152 or 172.... C

                It'll land and take off a fraction of the space a Cessna needs. In  400 feet with room to spare...
                Actually a slightly better rate of climb.
                Stall/touch down speed less than half.

                Fuel consumption about 3.5 gallons  per hour of cheap auto gas vs about 7 gallons per hour of liquid gold called avgas.
                In short... In every way imaginable _Radically_ cheaper to fly and maintain....
                  Except one: being fabric tying it down outside at  cheap airstrip monthly fee, or storing unprotected fron sun is really not a viable option as it is with metal aircraft like Cessnas.
                Depending on your situation that could mean as much as $400 a month for a hanger.

                The 503 rotax is not known as the worlds most reliable...unless it is meticulously maintained by someone who really knows that engine.

                There's lots of info on the web about the characteristics and quirks if the S4 .. Good info for a new owner or new pilot or rebuilder IMO.

                Brubaker.... Are you hoping to fly it as a ultralight.... No N-number?
                And what did it cost you..,and how much $$$ do you figure to get it flying?
                Just curious.

                Alex

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3
                    I grandfathered a S-4 into ELSA, 503, SCDI, just sold it last Spring. Flies wonderfully, but if you are 6' or more it is a very snug fit. I'm 6' w/ 30" inseam pants and had Very little head room.
                  • brubakermal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3
                      it will be a total re build and N# we have the FISDO on our side up here so that wont be a problem ,  I rebuild  Rotax motors myself  and sew fabric  so it will be a cheep rebuild. the plane came  complete, was flown one last time and stored in a garage, I got it for $700 and it came with a pile of rebuild parts   new wing tanks and stuff like that . we put almost 600 hrs on the kitfox 2 we had and almost that many hrs on 2 kolbs before that. so flying this tale dragger should be a real blast.
                    • circicirci
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4

                        There a still lots of single seaters out there that don't qualify as ultralight because of the weight but ARE being "flown as ultralight"  .

                        I didn't ask if it was a legal UL, only if he intended to "fly it AS an ultralight." ;-)

                        IIRR some of the earlier ones with lighter engines might have actually stayed within the legal UL weight limit.

                      • brubakermal
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6
                          there are not as many flying and that is too bad ! it seems that the people that went the long dollar and  steped up squak moor about fat ultralights  then  anyone.    there where many moor fat 2 seat trainers flying around with no N#   Not giving lessons then there where bfi instructors. remember this was a nice talk about my rebuild up to a N# single seat and it is still fun!    if a private pilot fly's this plane for 30 hrs he can get cheaper tail dragger insurance for a cub or similar plane