RE: Light-Sport Aircraft Yahoo group Re: Flight to Osh

  • Gary Orpe
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2010
      Seems EAA has little to say about LSA this year, I would guess because they
      (LSA) are not homebuilt nor restorable which are there main interests. AOPA
      wants certified engines and IFR glass cockpits it would seem. Anyone else
      have feelings on this???

      One thing did pop out of all this I saw and it looks like we can go
      international now. Wow, can't wait to do it. Don't know what the FAA has to
      say about it though...

      http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100801_bahamas.html

      Gary Orpe

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Gary,
        What is it exactly you want from the EAA?  Write to them and express your thoughts.  I saw an entire area dedicated to LSA.  The UL area had expanded dramatically from last year.  As to your comments about certified engines and glass cockpits, I don't think it's AOPA wanting that, it appears to be the customer who wants it.  The manufacturer is simply responding to the marketplace.  That's what always happens.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2010
          I agree with Jim. I think the LSA market was well emphasied and covered this year. Not only was there the LSA mall area you had other areas where manufacturers had thier planes on display. Some had their own booths such as Piper but they also had displays in the LSA mall. ALso they had foreums during the week about the LSA movement and how to expand it further.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2010
            Message
            Well I was speaking from strictly a internet reporting aspect from the Osh site this time around. Of course I wasn't there so cannot comment on that aspect of it.

            I believe you are right on by saying it is a consumer based item at this point. I got off the track when I expected it to be an easier less expensive way to stay in aviation from the UL days. All Cessna has to do now it start all over again, them and Piper, and the myriad of most of the LSA we have today will have to fall by the wayside. Another thing announced prominently is the new light Lycoming for uncertied's, to be certified later this year. So much for Rotax I guess. Am I in alone in a corner not seeing things the way they are?

            There was an article on AOPA that is pushing the Remos. They were to fly some 600 miles plus to Osh and report on the tractability of making cross country flights in such a small aircraft as the LS was. Still not up to the proven heavier types for XC nor comfort wise either. They will be giving that prize away in Long Beach later this year. How does that improve the LSA movement? They made a joke out of checking the oil level on the Rotax.

            Gary Orpe
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2010
              You are lucky in these economic times to be able to go to Osh. Be sure to
              give us an update to your adventures and the state of LSA sales there this
              year.

              Gary Orpe

              ->We flew 3 trikes from Tampa FL to Cushing field IL.
              ->Had gun flying at Cushing today
              ->Tomorrow is supposed to be a very nice day here
              ->Oshkosh is literally closed with no one allowed to go in as
              ->it is under water
              ->
              ->yesterday 2 trikes flipped over in severe gusts and storms
              ->
              ->Larry participated in the comps and Revo clocked 113 mph with
              ->a radar gun and
              ->also won the 3 quickest takeoffs and landings in a box comp
              ->in a new record time
              ->
              ->I flew 4 guys who came from Israel for Oshkosh and wanted to
              ->fly the Revo
              ->Don Cooney gave an interesting video presentation about his
              ->and Eddie Smith's
              ->work with archeologists in Cambodia. Very interesting stuff
              ->and nice videos.
              ->
              ->Abid
              ->http://www.evolutiontrikes.com
              ->
              ->--- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Helen Woods
              -><Helen_Woods@...> wrote:
              ->>
[...]
              ->> >
              ->> > Joe
              ->> >
              ->> > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com,
              ->"apollonorthamerica"<apollonorthamerica@> wrote:
              ->> >
              ->> >> Flying 3 trikes from Tampa to Oshkosh via Trikefest at
              ->Cushing, IL
              ->> >>
              ->> >> In Lafayette, IN. Stuck due to Thunder Storms
              ->> >> Abid
              ->> >> http://www.evolutiontrikrs.com
              ->> >>
              ->> >>
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->> > ------------------------------------
              ->> >
              ->> > Yahoo! Groups Links
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->> >
              ->>
              ->
              ->
              ->
              ->
              ->------------------------------------
              ->
              ->Yahoo! Groups Links
              ->
              ->
              ->
            • Helen Woods
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2010
                I was at OSH this year and believe that you are off base in your
                opinions. There just wasn't any new news to report on from the LSA
                manufacturers. Actually, the most note worthy thing at OSH about LSAs
                was who wasn't there: AMD, Paradise, SeaMax, and Gobosh were a few I
                could not find. One has to wonder if the weeding out process that has
                long been discussed for LSAs hasn't finally begun with big names such as
                these missing from the show.

                I'd also point out that one of the biggest attractions at the show this
                year by far was the Icon demos at the SPB. The seaplane buses were
                absolutely packed on days they were flying. I've never seen the base as
                mobbed as it was this year. Of course "Icon flies in circles" isn't
                exactly worth reporting about in the news.

                As for AOPA, we have been maintaining the AOPA Remos and hence see these
                folks regularly. I can't tell you just how much excitement there is on
                their staff from Craig Fuller on down about LSA. If there was poor
                reporting about this at the show this year it was due to the
                unfortunately passing of the mother of the AOPA reporter who manages
                their Remos which prevented her from attending the show as planned this
                year.

                Bahamas has always allowed sport pilots and sport planes. I checked on
                this a few years back. They've just made it official now. FAA isn't
                involved on this one.

                Helen

              • Gary Orpe
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Well I guess I am out of the loop and spinning in my own circles then.

                  So I have to apologize to you all for bringing it up.

                  Gary Orpe

[...]
                  ->> ->
                  ->> ->
[...]
                  ->> -><Helen_Woods@...> wrote:
                  ->> ->>
[...]
                  ->> ->> >
                  ->> ->> > Joe
                  ->> ->> >
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->> ------------------------------------
                  ->>
                  ->> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->>
                  ->
                  ->
                  ->------------------------------------
                  ->
                  ->Yahoo! Groups Links
                  ->
                  ->
                  ->
                • apollonorthamerica
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2010
                    I am flying our Revo trike back to Florida from Oshkosh. We were in booth 925 in the UL area. There were 42 vendors in the UL area compared to 9 last year. The foot traffic was also a lot more and people were serious and interested
                    Abid

                    --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, medicbill@... wrote:

                    > I agree with Jim. I think the LSA market was well emphasied and covered this year. Not only was there the LSA mall area you had other areas where manufacturers had thier planes on display. Some had their own booths such as Piper but they also had displays in the LSA mall. ALso they had foreums during the week about the LSA movement and how to expand it further.
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Michael Huckle
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2010
                      > Well I guess I am out of the loop and spinning in my own circles then.
                      >
                      > So I have to apologize to you all for bringing it up.
                      > Gary Orpe

                      No problem Gary!
                      Thanks for mentioning it!

                      Cheers,
                      Mike

                      .
                    • dangrunloh
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                        --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Orpe" <garyo@...> wrote:

                        > Seems EAA has little to say about LSA this year, I would guess because they
                        > (LSA) are not homebuilt nor restorable which are there main interests.

                        Don't forget that EAA isn't one person. It's a whole group of people staff, volunteers, freelancers running around trying to cover a huge event as best they can. There is no guy named EAA directing everything. No one person's interest prevails.

                        EAA's weekly newsletter e-Hotline went daily during the show and had something about Light sport or ultralights every day as did the EAA Today newspaper which is all "in house" now. I don't think any of the publications staff slept much the whole week.

                        http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_ContentDetail.aspx?id=2360

                        As far as news is concerned hot air balloons and ultralights got more coverage than LSA's. Don't forget despite all the hype your group of enthusiasts is one of the smallest in sport aviation.

                        Did you hear about the $34,540 ready to fly HKS powered 2-seat fixed wing offered at AirVenture? The Genesis Slipstream could apply some downward pressure on prices. Expect inside views and details in upcoming issues of EAA Light Plane World.

                        http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/issues/default.asp

                        --Dan Grunloh

                      • Rick Pitcher
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                          --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Orpe" <garyo@...> wrote:

                          > Seems EAA has little to say about LSA this year, I would guess because they
                          > (LSA) are not homebuilt nor restorable which are there main interests.
                          >Anyone else
                          > have feelings on this???

                          I don't understand why LSA's are not "homebuilt"?
                          If I remember right, you bought a factory built SLSA, but I think the majority of LSA's are "homebuilt", otherwise known as experimental, amatuer built.
                        • Rick Pitcher
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                            Pretty cool Dan, you got your picture on the cover!

                            I didn't see any info on the $34,540 SLSA you mentioned. Is there a website?

                            Rick

                            --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@...> wrote:

                            > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Orpe" <garyo@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Seems EAA has little to say about LSA this year, I would guess because they
                            > > (LSA) are not homebuilt nor restorable which are there main interests.
                            >
                            > Don't forget that EAA isn't one person. It's a whole group of people staff, volunteers, freelancers running around trying to cover a huge event as best they can. There is no guy named EAA directing everything. No one person's interest prevails.
                            >
                            > EAA's weekly newsletter e-Hotline went daily during the show and had something about Light sport or ultralights every day as did the EAA Today newspaper which is all "in house" now. I don't think any of the publications staff slept much the whole week.
                            >
                            > http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_ContentDetail.aspx?id=2360
                            >
                            > As far as news is concerned hot air balloons and ultralights got more coverage than LSA's. Don't forget despite all the hype your group of enthusiasts is one of the smallest in sport aviation.
                            >
                            > Did you hear about the $34,540 ready to fly HKS powered 2-seat fixed wing offered at AirVenture? The Genesis Slipstream could apply some downward pressure on prices. Expect inside views and details in upcoming issues of EAA Light Plane World.
                            >
                            > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/issues/default.asp
                            >
                            > --Dan Grunloh
                            >

                            > AOPA
                            > > wants certified engines and IFR glass cockpits it would seem. Anyone else
                            > > have feelings on this???
                            > >
                            > > One thing did pop out of all this I saw and it looks like we can go
                            > > international now. Wow, can't wait to do it. Don't know what the FAA has to
                            > > say about it though...
                            > >
                            > > http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100801_bahamas.html
                            > >
                            > > Gary Orpe

                          • UltraJohn
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                              http://www.slipstream.bz/

                              On Wednesday 04 August 2010 07:06:12 pm Rick Pitcher wrote:
                              > Pretty cool Dan, you got your picture on the cover!
                              >
                              > I didn't see any info on the $34,540 SLSA you mentioned. Is there a
                              > website?
                              >
                              > Rick
                              >
                              > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@...> wrote:
                              > > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Orpe" <garyo@> wrote:
                              > > > Seems EAA has little to say about LSA this year, I would guess because
                              > > > they (LSA) are not homebuilt nor restorable which are there main
                              > > > interests.
                              > >
                              > > Don't forget that EAA isn't one person. It's a whole group of people
                              > > staff, volunteers, freelancers running around trying to cover a huge
                              > > event as best they can. There is no guy named EAA directing everything.
                              > > No one person's interest prevails.
                              > >
                              > > EAA's weekly newsletter e-Hotline went daily during the show and had
                              > > something about Light sport or ultralights every day as did the EAA Today
                              > > newspaper which is all "in house" now. I don't think any of the
                              > > publications staff slept much the whole week.
                              > >
                              > > http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_ContentDetail.aspx?id=2360
                              > >
                              > > As far as news is concerned hot air balloons and ultralights got more
                              > > coverage than LSA's. Don't forget despite all the hype your group of
                              > > enthusiasts is one of the smallest in sport aviation.
                              > >
                              > > Did you hear about the $34,540 ready to fly HKS powered 2-seat fixed wing
                              > > offered at AirVenture? The Genesis Slipstream could apply some downward
                              > > pressure on prices. Expect inside views and details in upcoming issues
                              > > of EAA Light Plane World.
                              > >
                              > > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/issues/default.asp
                              > >
                              > > --Dan Grunloh
                              > >

                              > > AOPA
                              > >
                              > > > wants certified engines and IFR glass cockpits it would seem. Anyone
                              > > > else have feelings on this???
                              > > >
                              > > > One thing did pop out of all this I saw and it looks like we can go
                              > > > international now. Wow, can't wait to do it. Don't know what the FAA
                              > > > has to say about it though...
                              > > >
                              > > > http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100801_bahamas.html
                              > > >
                              > > > Gary Orpe

                            • Jim Bair
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                                Interesting comment Rick.  I hadn't really thought about it, but I would guess otherwise.  Almost all the homebuilders I know are building homebuilts that are definitely not LSAs.  Most are too fast, too heavy, etc.  I see few homebuilt LSAs, and the market seems to be in the direction of the lower 100's sort of factory built as far as fixed wing.

                                Jim

                                Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 6:02 PM

                              • Rick Pitcher
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                                  Yeah Jim, most homebuilts are bigger and faster than LSA's.

                                  But the Zodiacs, Sonex's, Challengers, etc probably out number the factory builts right now.
                                  And the ELSA's are homebuilt too.

                                  It WOULD be interesting to see how the numbers add up... maybe a good story for a future EAA artical?

                                  Rick

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2010
                                    Hi Gary,
                                    Am back now. Started flight back yesterday morning in a yellow Revo. Roughly 550 miles each day.
                                    REPORT
                                    1) Oshkosh got a lot of rain prior to opening so airplane parking was a problem and so was camping or keeping turf runways solid (trust me I landed in one coming in)
                                    2) Weather during the show besides the first day (which had large wind gusts) was pretty nice
                                    3) UL area had 42 vendors compared to 9 last year. More foot traffic too
                                    4) My partner Larry got the Eagle trophy for doing something (I don't know) but has to return it to Oshkosh next year
                                    5) My flight there in our trike was uneventful and flight back was uneventful till 30 miles from home airport and then T-Storms showed up trying to surround me inside a circle
                                    6) Lots of serious leads and decent direct sales

                                    Abid