LSR-I Course PIREP

  • fasteddie_666
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
      As a lot of you know, back in December I converted my S-LSA Sky Arrow to an E-LSA. I did that so as to allow me to do my own maintenance and minor (or even major) alterations.

      However, in order to do my own annual inspections, a 16-hour course "Light Sport Repairman - Inspection" was required. I signed up for one with Mike Huffman at http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com in Lawrenceville, GA and took the course this weekend.

      Anyway, VERY informative. As a CFI, some of the "Theory of Flight" and W&B stuff was just a review, but lots of valuable information about the inspection process, regulations involved, hardware requirements, that sort of thing. The last few hours were "hands-on", doing a differential compression test, using and calibrating torque wrenches, testing fabric, and examining cables and safety wire for appropriate standards - that sort of thing.

      Now I just have to take my completion certificate in to the local FSDO to have the actual license issued.

      Anyway, highly recommended if you have an E-LSA and want to do your own inspections.

      Note: this only allows you to do annual inspections on a E-LSA that you own. It has little to do with actual maintenance, which can already be done by anyone on an Experimental.

      Fast Eddie B. (Ed Benson - Mineral Bluff, GA)
      Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

        You are only legal to do your own maintenance on a SLSA converted to ELSA after the rules change becomes effective on April 2nd.

        Jerry in NC

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
          I took Mike's course a few years ago. He does a great job as an
          instructor. The class isn't difficult but don't go into it thinking that
          it's a cakewalk either! Take plenty of notes, stay awake, and pay
          attention.

          I only remember one fella that didn't pass the class ...

          Dale
          N28YD

          --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "fasteddie_666" <FastEddieB@...> wrote:

          > However, in order to do my own annual inspections, a 16-hour course
          > "Light Sport Repairman - Inspection" was required. I signed up for
          > one with Mike Huffman at http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com in
          > Lawrenceville, GA and took the course this weekend.
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010

            Folks, how does this flying hovercraft achieve a banked turn, without ailerons?

            http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/02/buy-your-own-flying-hovercraft/

            Regards,

            Doug

          • Richard Williams
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
              Doug,

              Rather simple

              weight shift to bank the craft,  this is what initiates and terminates the turn.

              the rudder, behind the fan is for inducing yaw/turn in the water and can be used to help coordinate a turn in the air and counteract adverse yaw in the air.

              R. Williams

              flying hovercraft achieve a banked turn, without ailerons?

              > http://www.crunchge ar.com/2010/ 03/02/buy- your-own- flying-hovercraf t/
              > Regards,
              > Doug

              ------- End of Original Message -------
            • Gary Orpe
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                Message
                So you would need a heavy head for safety? :-)

                   Gary O.
                 "Mitfield"

                ------- End of Original Message -------

              • palmettoe@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010

                    R,

                    It may be simple, but unless its limits are obvious, weight-shifting for banking seems extraordinarily dangerous for this craft.

                    Nevertheless, I think that this New Zealander is Burt Rutan in the making-- if he lives to fulfill his destiny.

                    Doug

                    href="http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/02/buy-your-own-flying-hovercraft/">http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/02/buy-your-own-flying-hovercraft/

                    > Regards,
                    style='font-size:10.0pt'>
                    > Doug
                    style='font-size:10.0pt'>

                    ------- End of Original Message -------

                  • Doug
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010

                      A thick skull might be the greater asset.  :)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Wing warping, the wrights have a paton on it.
                        jim

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                          Same way an ultralight achieves banked turns without ailerons.  Has to do with the dihedral interacting with the rudder input.

                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                            On 02:06 PM 3/4/2010, Robert D. Taylor wrote:

                            >Same way an ultralight achieves banked turns without ailerons. Has to do with the dihedral interacting with the rudder input.

                            Boy, he's going to have even more dihedral, if he doesn't keep those wing tips off the water/land during his turns ;)

                            --
                            Bob Comperini
                            e-mail: bob@...
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                              I do not understand that, splain plz.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                                Fellows,

                                These types of water/air craft have been around for a long time.

                                Here are a few examples:

                                <http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53>

                                <http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/adventures/1276886.html>

                                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle>

                                <http://www.australianhovercraft.com/hovercraft_photos.htm>

                                R. Williams

                                Sport_Aircraft@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:Sport_ Aircraft@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Richard Williams

                                Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 11:52 AM

                                To: Sport_Aircraft@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                                  I am not sure about his theory but rudder input alone has been banking weedhoppers since the 70s.  I have disconnected the spoilers on my starflight and until I get the ailerons installed have been very impressed by its roll rate using rudder input alone.  Roger P

                                  Has to do with the dihedral interacting with the rudder input.
                                  Recent Activity:
                                  .

                                • palmettoe@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                    That was my theory Roger, rudder deflection inducing yaw makes the outboard wing fly faster than the inboard wing producing more lift which gives one somewhat of a bank. At any rate, that was part of the Ogden Utah Weedhopper dealer training school required of dealers way back when. Make sense to you?
                                                                                                                                        Cheers!
                                                                                                                                        John
                                                                                                                                        www.usxair.com

                                    In a message dated 3/5/2010 3:20:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, rogpoyn@... writes:

                                    I am not sure about his theory but rudder input alone has been banking weedhoppers since the 70s.  I have disconnected the spoilers on my starflight and until I get the ailerons installed have been very impressed by its roll rate using rudder input alone.  Roger P

                                    Has to do with the dihedral interacting with the rudder input.
                                    Recent Activity:
                                    .

                                  • Michael Huckle
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                      > Posted by: "Richard Williams" rkwill@...
                                      >
                                      > Doug,
                                      >
                                      > Rather simple
                                      >
                                      > weight shift to bank the craft, this is what initiates and terminates the turn.
                                      >
                                      > the rudder, behind the fan is for inducing yaw/turn in the water and can be
                                      > used to help coordinate a turn in the air and counteract adverse yaw in the air.
                                      >
                                      > R. Williams

                                      imho, there is no weightshift involved.

                                      Mike

                                      .
                                      http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/
                                    • Roger Poyner
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                        I was more concerned with the loose fabric on the wings and the lack of seat belts on the craft.  The flapping of the fabric will cause it to rip sooner or later.  Rolling with rudder input alone is simple enough.  I think that dihedral has more effect on rolling out of a bank than rolling into it.  Even a cessna 150 will roll into a turn with rudder alone and it has a lot less dihedral than a weedhopper or starflight.  A lot of early ULs  that used spoilers for roll control had a lot of dihedral for the same reason .

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010

                                          R,
                                          Interesting links.  I guess dipping your wing tip in the water every now and then is de rigueur for the flying hovercraft guys.
                                          Thanks,
                                          Doug

                                          unless its limits are obvious, weight-shifting for banking seems extraordinarily dangerous for this craft.
                                          > Nevertheless, I think
                                          that this New Zealander is Burt Rutan in the making-- if he lives to fulfill his destiny.

                                          > Doug
                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>

                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>

                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>

                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>
                                          > > Folks, how does
                                          this flying hovercraft achieve a banked turn, without ailerons?

                                          href="http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/02/buy-your-own-flying-hovercraft/">http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/02/buy-your-own-flying-hovercraft/

                                          > > Regards,
                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>
                                          > > Doug
                                          style='font-size:10.0pt'>

                                          > ------- End of Original Message -------

                                          ------- End of Original Message -------

                                        • Rick Pitcher
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                            --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Robert D. Taylor" <flydad57@...> wrote:

                                            > Same way an ultralight achieves banked turns without ailerons. Has to do with the dihedral interacting with the rudder input.
                                            >
                                            > Bob

                                            That thing had ZERO dihedral, the spars looked perfectly level with each other.

                                            I think Palmetto got it right: the outside wing accelerates faster than the inside causing more lift on the outside.
                                          • Richard Williams
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                              Mike,

                                              For the big ones, you are right, they have all the controls of a airplane.
                                              However, for the little, carry with wings dismantled, on a small boat trailer, weight shift, rudder, and throttle are the only controls.

                                              R. Williams