Sad Day- EcoFlyer lost

  • Scott Perkins
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      It is always bad when a pilot loses their life but it is a bit
      worse when they take a toy from your "if you win the lotto" list.

      The largest LSA plane (what I thought of as the Flying-Guppy of
      the LSA world) probably will go away as the designer and owner
      of the company flew into a thunderstorm on the way home from
      SunFun. Upon confronting inclement weather he landed and waited
      several hours before resuming his flight. He didnt wait long
      enough.

      This plane with a cavernous interior of 54 inches high capable
      of storing several full size bicycles after filling with 30 gal
      of fuel could cruise for five hours at greater than 100 knots
      and still have a 390 pound payload after full fuel.

      Apparently the perfect streamline shape allowed faster
      speeds than many of the other more normal sized
      LSA planes. Wouldnt it be embarrasing to own one
      of the others and not be able to keep up ?

      This same company also kitted Dean Wilsons "Explorer"
      (flying Winnebago).

      Hopefully the employees will find a way to keep the company
      afloat.