Re: [Sport_Aircraft] training

  • Larry Sawyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 7:23 AM

      Tom,

      The EAA sport pilot page lists around 15 instructors offering SP training.  I don't know the area that well but my map source shows two within reasonable distance to you at St. Cloud and Maple grove.  Some may be closer but not being familiar with the area I couldn't say for sure.  Google EAA and follow the thread to sport pilot then "find an instructor" for the full list.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 8:24 AM
        Hi Tom,

        Go to http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/index.html and select your
        state for a listing of Sport Pilot Instructors.

        Take Care,
        Dean Batman
        N5076G
        Web Site - http://www.geocities.com/batman.dean@.../index.html

        tile_tom wrote:

        >Hello all,
        >I live in Northern Minnesota and am looking for someone to get my LSA
        >flight training from. Anybody know where to look? I am located 25
        >miles from Bemidji. Thanks in advance. Tom

      • Mark Zinkel
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 1:57 PM
          Tom,

          Here's a link to the EAA instructor database for your state.

          Good luck,
          Mark Zinkel
          flightdream.blogspot.com

          On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM, tile_tom <tile_tom@...> wrote:

          Hello all,
          I live in Northern Minnesota and am looking for someone to get my LSA
          flight training from. Anybody know where to look? I am located 25
          miles from Bemidji. Thanks in advance. Tom

        • Thomas Omlid
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3 4:51 AM
            My friend has some parts[ALOT] for your pterodactyl extra motors, frame parts, a pickup load for sure. He will sell it all cheap. His number is 218-837-5658 or 218-850-2291

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3 5:50 PM
              eaa just sent me an email with this link.

              It shows a Cirrus jet taking off and configured with a single Williams engine.
              I remember reading a while back that Eclipse replaced their "initial design" Williams engines, with Pratt engines, because the Williams engines were not giving the (heavier than expected) Eclipse enough power.

              Do these "shaded truth" statements paint an accurate picture?
              The Cirrus and the Eclipse carry roughly the same number of passengers.
              The planes have roughly the same cruising speed and range (edge to Eclipse).
              The Cirrus is powered by one economical Williams engine.
              The Eclipse is powered by two thirstier Pratt and Whitney engines.
              Jet fuel is about $5 a gallon.

              The Eclipse seems like a little more jet for a whole lot more complexity and operating expense.

              Regards,
              Doug

            • DJfawcett26@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3 5:57 PM
                In a message dated 7/3/2008 6:51:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time, dejstone@... writes:
                The Cirrus is powered by one economical Williams engine.
                The Eclipse is powered by two thirstier Pratt and Whitney engines.
                The Williams engine and Pratt & Whitney engine have almost exactly the same specifics in operation.  The real difference is Eclipse has two and Cirrus one.  The real reason for the Eclipse engine manufacturer switch was ego driven.  Eclipse could have used Williams engines, as a matter of fact, they were more than a year and a half ahead of Pratt in development.  However, politics entered in, and the Eclipse program suffered an extended delay.

                With that being said, both have there place in the market place, and will probably be successful.

              • DJfawcett26@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4 12:49 PM
                  Hello,

                  I wanted to clarify what I just posted the other day concerning Eclipse and the engine selection.  "Ego" was a poor choice of words.  What I did mean was that the problems between Eclipse and Williams that pre-existed the Pratt & Whitney selection created a political environment that precluded the ability of Eclipse to select the Williams engine, which in fact was further along in development.  In hind sight, the Williams selection probably made the most sense for a timeline stand point, but Pratt & Whitney made the best sense from a stand point of the politics involved.  Both engines are exceptional performers, but what appears to be the obvious is not always.

                • Doug Stone
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11 9:40 AM
                    Jet engines (or at least jetpacks) may be soon be the proper domain of this list.

                    For those who are interested...
                    In 1998, Williams joined with Eclipse Aviation to develop an FAA-certified version of the FJX-2 to be used on the Eclipse 500 VLJ. The new EJ22 powered the Eclipse 500 prototype on its first flight in 2002, but numerous significant technical problems with the EJ22 subsequently grounded the plane and prompted Eclipse Aviation to eventually terminate its relationship with Williams International. Renamed the FJ22, development work was halted shortly thereafter, and the engine never came close to FAA certification

                    Regards,
                    Doug