Re: Book recommendation for a teenager?

  • daleandee
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
      Steven,

      I was near that age when I read, "We" the story of Charles Lindberg
      written and published just a few weeks after his trip to Paris ---

      http://tinyurl.com/327a92

      Of course the best book in teaching someone to fly is "Stick & Rudder" ---

      http://tinyurl.com/22z2sd

      Just a few suggestions ---

      Dale

      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Steven C. Haber"
      <sc.haber@...> wrote:

      I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
      excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
      book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give my
      sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations? Thanks!
    • Helen Woods
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
        Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck.

        It's about two teenage brothers who earned their licenses, rebuilt a
        Cub, and flew cross country in it. Great book!

        Helen

        Steven C. Haber wrote:
        > I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
        > excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
        > book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give my
        > sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations? Thanks!

      • Steven C. Haber
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
          Thanks for the suggestions!

          This one sounds perfect, Helen. I'll check to see if I can order it online.

          --Steven

          Steven C. Haber wrote:
          > I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
          > excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
          > book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give my
          > sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations? Thanks!

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
            I recommend the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook" This is a free download at
            http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/.

            The Airplane Flying Handbook and Stick and Rudder contains everything one needs
            to know on flying small planes.

            Richard

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
          • peteohms
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
              Illusions by Richard Bach
              Grey Eagles by Duane Unkeffer

              Pete

              <sc.haber@...> wrote:

              > I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
              excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
              book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give my
              sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations?
              Thanks!

            • Harold Moore
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
                A must-read for every aspiring pilot is "Wild Blue Wonders", by Lane Wallace.  Lots of pictures, good explanations and age-appropriate.  You can get it from the EAA's online store.  When he gets a little older, "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche should be added to his library.  Thanks for encouraging the next generation of pilots!

                Harold Moore

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Perfect. I've ordered those too.

                  Thanks, all.

                  A must-read for every aspiring pilot is "Wild Blue Wonders", by Lane Wallace.  Lots of pictures, good explanations and age-appropriate.  You can get it from the EAA's online store.  When he gets a little older, "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche should be added to his library.  Thanks for encouraging the next generation of pilots!

                  Harold Moore

                  > I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
                  excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
                  book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give my
                  sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations?
                  Thanks!

                • Jim Bair
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Quoting "Steven C. Haber" <sc.haber@...>:

                    > I had a chat with my 12-year-old nephew yesterday and he's really
                    > excited to hear about my Sport Pilot lessons. I'm trying to find a
                    > book on flying to send to him to encourage his enthusiasm (and give
                    > my sister a few more gray hairs to match mine). Any recommendations?
                    > Thanks!

                    Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck. A wonderful book about 2 teenagers
                    who recover a Cub and fly it to California from NJ. It's about their
                    adventures, and life. Outstanding.

                    Jim
                  • Jim Bair
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
                      Quoting Richard <Jabberwocky47@...>:

                      > I recommend the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook" This is a free download at
                      > http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/.
                      >
                      > The Airplane Flying Handbook and Stick and Rudder contains
                      > everything one needs
                      > to know on flying small planes.
                      >
                      > Richard

                      Yes, these two books are a must have on every pilot's shelf, but
                      unless your 12 year old is seriously not the average 12 year old,
                      they're a bit technical and dry. Stick and rudder, in particular, is
                      a book for someone with the ability to hang in there and make it
                      through a not very exciting book. That said, for the pilot with a
                      desire to learn why airplanes work, it's great. My kids all soloed
                      quite young, but no way could they have survived S&R without eyes
                      glazing over.

                      Jim
                    • Steven C. Haber
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
                        I've ordered a few of the books recommended. I was hoping there was a good book for kids with some easy-to-understand aeronautical contact without a lot of detail, but I'll take a closer look at Stick & Rudder. No reason he has to read it cover-to-cover either, and it'll probably be waiting for him when he's older and wants to learn more too.

                        Again, thanks to all!
                        --Steven

                        > I recommend the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook" This is a free download at
                        > http://www.faa. gov/library/ manuals/aircraft /airplane_ handbook/ .
                        >
                        > The Airplane Flying Handbook and Stick and Rudder contains
                        > everything one needs
                        > to know on flying small planes.
                        >
                        > Richard

                        Yes, these two books are a must have on every pilot's shelf, but
                        unless your 12 year old is seriously not the average 12 year old,
                        they're a bit technical and dry. Stick and rudder, in particular, is
                        a book for someone with the ability to hang in there and make it
                        through a not very exciting book. That said, for the pilot with a
                        desire to learn why airplanes work, it's great. My kids all soloed
                        quite young, but no way could they have survived S&R without eyes
                        glazing over.

                        Jim

                      • Ed Burkhead
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                          I think Richard Bach's book "A Gift of Wings" is good for a pilot. It's a
                          collection of his articles (for ?Flying?) and most are quite good. I think
                          it's out of print. But Amazon well sell it from used book stores at a low
                          price.

                          And I agree with all the others that "Stick and Rudder" can't be beaten for
                          the how-to of flying.

                          Ed
                        • wesleymarceaux
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                            Thank you for the FAA site and the info..I needed all that I saw on the site pertaining to the registering of my plane for the LSA program..that to me was a very good posting,,keep it up!! once again ,,thanks.....................wes