Re: whaaa whaaa whaaa

  • rickpitcher <rick.pitcher@verizon.net>
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mark Smith <mark@t...> wrote:

      > been in the hobby for thrity years, and will be put out of the training
      > business by sprot pile it
      >
      > you think this is OK ?
      >
      > I don't,,,,,,,,,

      Bullshit.
      The only thing that will put YOU out of business is YOUR own stubborn
      attitude.

      Rick

      .
    • Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
        rickpitcher wrote:

        > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mark Smith <mark@t...> wrote:
        >
        > > been in the hobby for thrity years, and will be put out of the training
        > > business by sprot pile it
        > >
        > > you think this is OK ?
        > >
        > > I don't,,,,,,,,,
        >
        > Bullshit.
        > The only thing that will put YOU out of business is YOUR own stubborn
        > attitude.
        >
        > Rick

        maybe so, but they can stick sprot in their slot !

        it is way too many pages of crap, misconception trying to fix a
        non-problem written by people who don't fly much about planes they don't
        fly at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

        you can sugar coat it, but the US airplane business will falter big time
        when the foreign makers use their certification to meet sprots rot,,,

        the FnAA is seeing the same falling clientele that EEA has seen in their
        ranks, and is looking for a quick fix,,,,,,,,,

        the costs of sprot are just beginning to be understood,

        the expenses will mount and as others see the totals, they will do
        something else,

        it is a done deal riccardo, sorry,,,,,,,,,,,

        --

        Mark Smith
        Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
          --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mark Smith <mark@t...> wrote:
          > rickpitcher wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mark Smith <mark@t...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > been in the hobby for thrity years, and will be put out of the
          training
          > > > business by sprot pile it
          > > >
          > > > you think this is OK ?
          > > >
          > > > I don't,,,,,,,,,
          > >
          > > Bullshit.
          > > The only thing that will put YOU out of business is YOUR own stubborn
          > > attitude.
          > >
          > > Rick
          >
          > maybe so, but they can stick sprot in their slot !
          >
          > it is way too many pages of crap, misconception trying to fix a
          > non-problem written by people who don't fly much about planes they don't
          > fly at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
          >
          > you can sugar coat it, but the US airplane business will falter big time
          > when the foreign makers use their certification to meet sprots rot,,,
          >
          > the FnAA is seeing the same falling clientele that EEA has seen in their
          > ranks, and is looking for a quick fix,,,,,,,,,
          >
          > the costs of sprot are just beginning to be understood,
          >
          > the expenses will mount and as others see the totals, they will do
          > something else,
          >
          > it is a done deal riccardo, sorry,,,,,,,,,,,

          No need to apologize markey, you can leave if you want to.

          Funny though how you feel that sport avialtion will "falter big time"
          while the people who actually build and sell ultralights for a living
          (not just a hobby) are putting so much effort into making it work. I'd
          have to guess that they all know something you don't.

          Rick

          .
        • Chad Hilbert

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, " Chad Hilbert"
              <jc.hilbert@c...> wrote:
              > No Rick, Mark is just under the impression that nothing was wrong
              with 103. He still can't understand that it has been "broke" for over
              twenty years. The FAA is just now trying to FIX the problem. If we
              all still flew Weedhoppers there wouldn't be a "problem", but we
              don't, do we......not even Mark.

              > Chad

              I don't think there's anything wrong with 103 either. It was meant to
              be a way for people who were experimenting with hang-gliders and
              chainsaw motors to be able to practice their hobby without breaking
              the law every time they went up. I'm glad that the FAA is leaving that
              part alone.

              Mark seems to be upset that he won't be able to use his BFI forever to
              take people up in his 2-place for "training". I don't blame him for
              wanting to continue with the BFI and exempted UL trainer, it was a
              sweet deal for him.
              The new system could be a sweet deal for him too, but if he don't
              wanna play...

              Oh well, I suppose SOMEONE in Indianna will take over training the new
              sport aviation pilots.

              Rick

              .

              > From: rickpitcher <rick.pitcher@v...>
              > No need to apologize markey, you can leave if you want to.
              >
              > Funny though how you feel that sport avialtion will "falter big time"
              > while the people who actually build and sell ultralights for a living
              > (not just a hobby) are putting so much effort into making it work. I'd
              > have to guess that they all know something you don't.
              >
              > Rick
              >

              > .

            • Mark Smith
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
                rickpitcher wrote:

                > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, " Chad Hilbert"
                > <jc.hilbert@c...> wrote:
                > > No Rick, Mark is just under the impression that nothing was wrong
                > with 103. He still can't understand that it has been "broke" for over
                > twenty years. The FAA is just now trying to FIX the problem. If we
                > all still flew Weedhoppers there wouldn't be a "problem", but we
                > don't, do we......not even Mark.
                > >
                > > Chad
                >
                > I don't think there's anything wrong with 103 either. It was meant to
                > be a way for people who were experimenting with hang-gliders and
                > chainsaw motors to be able to practice their hobby without breaking
                > the law every time they went up. I'm glad that the FAA is leaving that
                > part alone.
                >
                > Mark seems to be upset that he won't be able to use his BFI forever to
                > take people up in his 2-place for "training". I don't blame him for
                > wanting to continue with the BFI and exempted UL trainer, it was a
                > sweet deal for him.
                > The new system could be a sweet deal for him too, but if he don't
                > wanna play...
                >
                > Oh well, I suppose SOMEONE in Indianna will take over training the new
                > sport aviation pilots.
                >
                > Rick

                tell ya what, you can have the "training", wink wink, such as you see
                it,

                55 an hour with a 1/2 hour trip both ways, an hour of non-flying while I
                am there, about 4 gallons of fuel and some to match,

                great wages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again, you can have it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                I would make more money scamming someone in a partnership agreement gone
                bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                I really have no desire to fly a stock quicksilver, especially the one
                they prolly will certify,ie the strut braced behemoth that is top heavy
                like yours, and clumsy as all get out.

                I am used to a better turn radius than they offer, I am used to smoother
                aileron control than they offer, I am used to a stiffer plane than they
                offer, i am also into doing a continuing mod to meet my and my students
                changing requirements,,,,which you could care less about as you have
                none, make that NONE !

                I also don't want to pay someone to teach me my business, and yes my
                business is building quality planes, and HAS BEEN for
                years,,,,,,,,,,yours is just, well has been,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                At least they use the good stuff for fuel line,,,,,,,but those teeny
                plastic wheels and the small diameter tires, puuleeze,,,,

                the top mounted inaccessible engine with a thrust line a foot higher
                than need be, and in the highspeed air creating more drag than
                not,,,,,,,,,course your plane had that too, remember,,,,,slower than
                slow !

                I don't want that situation, and yes, I did have it good, and the reason
                why, I made it that way,,,,,,,,

                I would like to continue that way, works for me and my
                students,,,,,,,,,,,

                I can't change anything on the plane, not even a bolt length that is too
                long due to the need for certification, and flipping the engine to
                reduce drag, lower the thrust line and allow easier inspection, NO
                F***in way,,,right, you are the ex spurt, right ?

                and the costs of the plane with all the extra equipnment such as a fancy
                altimeter, compass, ELT, etc, prolly a radio too,,,,,,,,,,totally un
                needed at least where I fly,,,,,,,,,,at my own private strip, that was
                free too,,,,,,,,,,,NOT !

                the cost of the plane will be 10,000 more than it costs me to build one
                now,,,,,,,,and replacing the engine when the big R thinks it needs
                replacing just basically sucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                you sound like a broken record on this, I guess it really bothers you
                that I am successful at this and you,well, you can complete this one
                your ownself,,,,,,,,,,,

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
                  --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mark Smith <mark@t...> wrote:

                  Wow!!!
                  A very verbose reply for you markey... and the spellin's pretty good
                  too! Since you took so much time to write out your thoughts, I'll try
                  and reply as best I can. My replies are interspersed with your remarks
                  below. If I missed anything or you'd like me to elaborate, just ask
                  If you want to talk $#it, we can take it to the other list. Let me know.

                  > tell ya what, you can have the "training", wink wink, such as you see
                  > it,
                  >
                  > 55 an hour with a 1/2 hour trip both ways, an hour of non-flying while I
                  > am there, about 4 gallons of fuel and some to match,
                  >
                  > great wages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again, you can have it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                  >
                  > I would make more money scamming someone in a partnership agreement gone
                  > bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                  Yeah, training for $55 an hour prolly don't pay the bills. I guess you
                  COULD make a buck "scamming someone in a partnership agreement gone
                  bad" as you put it, but I doubt it would get you much $$$.
                  I had someone try that on me. I spent my own time and money to get a
                  stalled and damaged project almost to completion, and then had to
                  settle for $10 an hour for my time when he changed his mind and wanted
                  the plane for himself. That was 6 months ago, I'm hoping to see the
                  plane fly soon.

                  > I really have no desire to fly a stock quicksilver, especially the one
                  > they prolly will certify,ie the strut braced behemoth that is top heavy
                  > like yours, and clumsy as all get out.
                  >
                  > I am used to a better turn radius than they offer, I am used to smoother
                  > aileron control than they offer, I am used to a stiffer plane than they
                  > offer, i am also into doing a continuing mod to meet my and my students
                  > changing requirements,,,,which you could care less about as you have
                  > none, make that NONE !

                  Nope, no students here. I WAS gonna make my friends and family my
                  students, but a better way of flying 2-seaters is coming along so I'll
                  drop that idea.

                  > I also don't want to pay someone to teach me my business, and yes my
                  > business is building quality planes, and HAS BEEN for
                  > years,,,,,,,,,,yours is just, well has been,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                  What a coincidence!!! MY job has been building quality airplanes too,
                  but mine ain't a "hobby" like you said yours were. I've been building
                  them professionally for 33 years, when did you start?

                  > At least they use the good stuff for fuel line,,,,,,,but those teeny
                  > plastic wheels and the small diameter tires, puuleeze,,,,
                  >
                  > the top mounted inaccessible engine with a thrust line a foot higher
                  > than need be, and in the highspeed air creating more drag than
                  > not,,,,,,,,,course your plane had that too, remember,,,,,slower than
                  > slow !
                  >
                  > I don't want that situation, and yes, I did have it good, and the reason
                  > why, I made it that way,,,,,,,,
                  >
                  > I would like to continue that way, works for me and my
                  > students,,,,,,,,,,,
                  >
                  > I can't change anything on the plane, not even a bolt length that is too
                  > long due to the need for certification, and flipping the engine to
                  > reduce drag, lower the thrust line and allow easier inspection, NO
                  > F***in way,,,right, you are the ex spurt, right ?
                  >
                  > and the costs of the plane with all the extra equipnment such as a fancy
                  > altimeter, compass, ELT, etc, prolly a radio too,,,,,,,,,,totally un
                  > needed at least where I fly,,,,,,,,,,at my own private strip, that was
                  > free too,,,,,,,,,,,NOT !

                  Yeah, like I said: the old way is a sweet deal... for you. It's no
                  wonder you are trying your best to keep it that way. I think you're
                  fighting a losing battle though.

                  > the cost of the plane will be 10,000 more than it costs me to build one
                  > now,,,,,,,,and replacing the engine when the big R thinks it needs
                  > replacing just basically sucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                  I agree. If the big R wants to stay on top of the market they'll have
                  to be more realistic with their TBO's.

                  > you sound like a broken record on this,

                  You loose me here markey, what's the broken record inference?

                  > I guess it really bothers you
                  > that I am successful at this and you,well, you can complete this one
                  > your ownself,,,,,,,,,,,

                  Now why would you guess that??? I HOPE you're successful. I like to
                  see everyone be successful at what they love to do.
                  I just can't understand why you want to quit something you're so
                  successful at.

                  Rick

                  .
                • Chad Hilbert
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Mark,

                    Regardless of our "confrontations" on the various lists, I have great admiration for what you have accomplished.  But your attitude toward SP leaves alot to be desired.  You of all people, are in a position to "rise to the top" of the light aircraft industry.  You already have an airplane design, you already own an airstrip, you already have  tooling to build airplanes, and you already have a good reputation and  a good size customer base.  What you DON'T have is an attitude that could bring all of your hard work in years past to a very successful business.

                    You seem to think that all the "Consensus Standards" are going to ruin the market.  I'd bet that your present airplane ALREADY meets/exceeds the proposed consensus standards.  You have very little to do to come into compliance.  You probably already have , the lowest "overhead" than any other aircraft manufacturer in the country.

                    People are going to continue to learn to fly, regardless of cost.  It is just our nature.  Yes, many of the new designs are going to be expensive.  Even MORE reason for you to build an "Entry Level" Sport Airplane.  It should sell well, even if you have to ask $15,000 to $20,000 to bring it to market.  You've already stated you could sell one for $10,000,  That leaves plenty to cover any additional overhead that the regulations may require.

                    Come on Mark, at least look around, before you roll up the airstrip and turn it into a farm.........

                    Your friend,

                    Chad

                  • James Runnels
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 10, 2003
                      I have to agree with you Mark. Sprot will also put me out of flying. I am
                      not Rich and can't pay to have my plane worked on my some A&E that has never
                      seen a U/L.
                      What I would like to know is why does the FAA think it needs to spend
                      all of this money and make new rules?
                      Why not just get off there big fat tails and inforce the rules as thay
                      are now? If they want to put a stop to the FAT U/Ls and the two seat use by
                      the non BFIs just get off there rears and stop it.
                      Don't make new rules to stop all of us that are doing it the right way.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 10, 2003
                        --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "James Runnels"
                        <jrunnels@h...> wrote:
                        > I have to agree with you Mark. Sprot will also put me out of
                        flying. I am
                        > not Rich and can't pay to have my plane worked on my some A&E that
                        has never
                        > seen a U/L.
                        > What I would like to know is why does the FAA think it needs to
                        spend
                        > all of this money and make new rules?
                        > Why not just get off there big fat tails and inforce the rules
                        as thay
                        > are now? If they want to put a stop to the FAT U/Ls and the two
                        seat use by
                        > the non BFIs just get off there rears and stop it.
                        > Don't make new rules to stop all of us that are doing it the right
                        way.

                        You really want the FAA to come out and enforce 103? I don't think
                        many UL flyers would agree.

                        Rick
                      • James Runnels
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 12, 2003
                          I would have no prob with them doing there job and looking at my planes.
                          The way I look at it is if they don't enforce the rules then why make new
                          ones? Chances are that there will be no more enforcement of SPROT than there
                          is now for 103. Just make it worse on the few of us that do try and keep
                          legal.