      Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:20 PM
      Subject: Re: Light-Sport Aircraft Yahoo group RE: A starting point

      Note to self, here is what I have been taught as a Dutch Roll.  There is also a video of a gentleman explaining the how and why on the EAA site:
      In our practice, it is to keep the nose straight through coordinated rudder and aileron use.

      Alan

      From: Alan Bartz <abartz@...>
      Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:57 PM
      To: <Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com>

      Okay, first I need to correct my previous post.  I learned Dutch rolls, not Barrel rolls.  So, along with my flight lessons, my terminology is improving as well.

      I have 9 hours under my belt at this point, and feel pretty comfortable in all the maneuvers learned so far.  I find that landing the plane is still an anxious moment for me.  In fact, I dread that moment.  Maybe Im over-thinking the process.  Seems like a lot of information being processed at the same time.  We did some touch and goes today which seem to help  Hopefully by the time I am ready to solo, it clicks.

      Alan

      So Cal

      Hemet Ryan Flight School

      SkyCatcher 162

      ---In sport_aircraft@yahoogroups.com, <rk911@...> wrote:

      alan, my first attempt at taxiing was something for the books. it was not
      pretty. don't know what you're training in but once you get the hang of it
      it'll be second nature to you. just remember not to taxi faster than a
      brisk walk and be sure to orient the ailerons properly for the wind. you'll
      be fine. I still remember the first time I was allowed to take off...what a
      rush!

      '73,
      rich, n9dko
      If you think women are the weaker sex just try pulling the blankets back to
      your side.
      _________________________________
      Today was my second time up. The week dragged by with much anticipation for
      today. I read my student book cover to cover twice, took notes for
      questions I wanted to ask, filled in all the blanks according to the
      aircraft I am studying in, and went through every normal procedure in my
      head for the week.

      This morning I got to do the pre flight, taxi, run-up, and TAKE-OFF under my
      own control. What a rush!

      Once up I learned rudder and aileron control to make 30 degree turns, and
      barrel maneuvers while pointed at a fixed point to keep the plane in line.
      This took a few tries, but then I was able to coordinate the foot pedals
      with the stick and kept it pointing straight through the maneuver.
      The time flew by (quite literally) and before I knew it, I was instructed to
      head back to the airport and make our decent. My instructor took over and
      brought us in for the final and landing.

      I am looking forward to next week! I hope I can at least follow the yellow
      line by then while taxiing. That seems the hardest part so far.
    • Show all 64 messages in this topic