SplashID Feature Request (and error)

  • Dale Kerr
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 7:20 PM
      I would like the Record Detail View on the desktop application to
      either be sizeable or when it opens, to automatically size itself to
      the width of the longest field. I just recently noticed this with long
      URLs. I can copy the field or move the cursor across to see the rest
      of the field, but it would be better on my time if I could just see
      the whole thing when I click on the record.

      And now I've just had an error on the desktop and I can't access
      SplashID at all: "An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past
      its end."

      Dale.
    • Dale Kerr
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 7:36 PM
        > And now I've just had an error on the desktop and I can't access
        > SplashID at all: "An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past
        > its end."

        I can confirm that the error has been resolved. Unsure as to how or
        why it happened, but I was able to restore the .sbd file from back up.
      • Steve Parker
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 6:19 AM
          --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Kerr" <dale.kerr@...> wrote:

          > I would like the Record Detail View on the desktop application to
          > either be sizeable or when it opens, to automatically size itself to
          > the width of the longest field. I just recently noticed this with long
          > URLs. I can copy the field or move the cursor across to see the rest
          > of the field, but it would be better on my time if I could just see
          > the whole thing when I click on the record.

          FYI, I requested "resizeable windows" a few months back. This is a great useability idea, as I
          have some "note" sections with quite a bit of data in it.

          Have you sent this suggestion to "splashdata" yet. If enough of us request this feature, maybe
          they'll get to it someday soon.

          Steve
        • SplashData
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 12:46 PM
            HI Dale,

            You should be able to resize the Detail Pane already. Click and drag the
            divider between the List Pane and the Detail Pane to resize it.

            We will note your interest in automatically resizing based on the record
            contents, but this will be tricky because long data such as URLs might cause
            the pane to span the entire window.

            As for your error message, is your data OK on the handheld?

            If so, Please try this. Find this file:

            My Documents\SplashData\SplashID\<username>\SplashID Database.sdb

            Change it's name to SplashIDdatabase.bad

            Then launch SplashID on the desktop and you should find it empty.

            Then set your SplashID conduit to handheld overwrites desktop for one sync.

            To do this:
            1. Click the HotSync icon in the system tray on the lower right hand side of
            your windows desktop, and select Custom.
            2. A list of conduits will appear.
            3. Double-click the SplashID conduit and choose handheld overwrites desktop,
            then click OK.
            4. Perform a hotsync. This will move all the data (and password) from the
            handheld to the desktop.

            -Justin
            SplashData

            On 8/1/06 7:20 PM, "Dale Kerr" <dale.kerr@...> wrote:

            > I would like the Record Detail View on the desktop application to
            > either be sizeable or when it opens, to automatically size itself to
            > the width of the longest field. I just recently noticed this with long
            > URLs. I can copy the field or move the cursor across to see the rest
            > of the field, but it would be better on my time if I could just see
            > the whole thing when I click on the record.
            >
            > And now I've just had an error on the desktop and I can't access
            > SplashID at all: "An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past
            > its end."
            >
            > Dale.
          • Steve Parker
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3 6:55 AM
              --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, SplashData <moderator@...> wrote:

              > HI Dale,
              >
              > You should be able to resize the Detail Pane already. Click and drag the
              > divider between the List Pane and the Detail Pane to resize it.

              Justin,

              Just to clarify my enhancement request: I'd like to be able to resize the entire detail
              window in both width and height, not just the relationship between the list pane and detail
              pane within the detail window.... Some of my notes fields have quite a bit of information in
              them

              I converted my data a few months back from CryptInfo, and had (a couple years back)
              requeted that Mr. Norman provide this functionality there (which he did). I use your app
              many times a day (both on the Palm and Windows), and it serves my needs in every way
              except for that resizing issue.

              Steve

              Oh, and one more thing, please add support for CTL-A in the notes field... :)
            • Dale Kerr
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7 5:25 PM
                --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, SplashData <moderator@...> wrote:

                > HI Dale,
                >
                > You should be able to resize the Detail Pane already. Click and drag the
                > divider between the List Pane and the Detail Pane to resize it.

                No, I refer to the Detail View not the pane on the right hand side of
                the Desktop application. That is, you double click on a record and the
                Detail View pops up. It's this that I wish was re-sizeable, and if
                possible, automatically resizes to accommodate all data, be it a
                lengthy Notes section or a long URL etc.
              • SplashData
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 8 12:18 AM
                  Ah... Thanks for clarifying.

                  We refer to that as the Edit Dialog, for future reference.

                  --Justin
                  SplashData

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 25, 2006
                    --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Parker" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                    > --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Kerr" <dale.kerr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I would like the Record Detail View on the desktop application to
                    > > either be sizeable or when it opens, to automatically size itself
                    to<<<<<SNIP>>>>>

                    > FYI, I requested "resizeable windows" a few months back. This is a
                    great useability idea, as I have some "note" sections with quite a bit
                    of data in it.

                    Here's a sample (sterilized) of what I want to keep in the notes
                    field. Past this stuff into a new record, and then you'll understand
                    why it's important that the Record Detail View be resizeable.

                    Justin, please give us some kind of idea when (in quarters or years)
                    of when we can expect to see any movment on SplashID. We've already
                    lost CryptInfo (which is what I used before SplashID) to the
                    development graveyard. Hopefully SplashID is not on the same path to
                    obscurity and old age.... ;)

                    Steve
                    ================ Begin note field example =================

                    Domain: xx-xxxxxx.com
                    Name Svr1: ns1.xxxxxxxxx.com
                    Name Svr2: ns2.xxxxxxxxx.com

                    11.111.11.111- Communication IP, ns1.xxxxxxxxx.com, Mail Server IP
                    (POP3 + SMTP)
                    11.111.11.16 - ns2.xxxxxxxxx.com, HELM Control Panel
                    11.111.11.17 - SmarterStats
                    11.111.11.18 - Shared Websites
                    11.111.11.19 - OPEN
                    11.111.11.20 - OPEN
                    11.111.11.21 - OPEN
                    11.111.11.22 - OPEN
                    11.111.11.23 - https://xxx.xxxxxxx.xxx/

                    Communication IP: 11.111.11.111
                    Username: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx
                    Access Level: Machine Administrator

                    Host: http://control.xxxxxxxxx.com (http://11.111.11.16)
                    Master Admin: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx
                    User Admin: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx

                    SQL Server Setup
                    creating SQL Server databases only)
                    Username: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx

                    SmarterTools account: https://www.smartertools.com/MyAccount.
                    Username: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

                    Mail Server (SmarterMail Webmail, SPAM Filtering, Calendar, Task List
                    and More)
                    Product: SmarterMail(tm) Professional Edition 3.x - 50 Domains - 250
                    Users
                    License Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Host: http://mail.xxxxxxxxx.com (http://11.111.11.111)
                    Username: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx

                    SmarterStats Traffic Reports
                    Product: SmarterStats(tm) Professional Edition 3.x - 50 Sites
                    License Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Host: http://stats.xxxxxxxxx.com (http://11.111.11.17/)
                    Site ID: xxxxxxxx
                    Username: xxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx

                    SmarterTicket
                    Product: SmarterTicket(tm) Professional Edition 2.x - 5 Agents
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 26, 2006
                      Hi Steve,

                      No, SplashID is in no way heading for the graveyard. It is our flagship
                      product, and we have just begin the design phase of SplashID 4. We hope to
                      have a new release by the end of the year.

                      -Justin
                      SplashData

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 27, 2006
                        Awesome news. I use this product more than most others, and would hate to have to find
                        a replacement. I'm looking forward to any updates....

                        Steve

                        --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, SplashData <moderator@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Steve,
                        >
                        > No, SplashID is in no way heading for the graveyard. It is our flagship
                        > product, and we have just begin the design phase of SplashID 4. We hope to
                        > have a new release by the end of the year.
                        >
                        > -Justin
                        > SplashData
                        >
                        > On 9/25/06 4:13 PM, "Steve Parker" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SplashData%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        > > "Steve Parker" <yahoogroups@> wrote:
                        > >> >

                        > > Justin, please give us some kind of idea when (in quarters or years)
                        > > of when we can expect to see any movment on SplashID. We've already
                        > > lost CryptInfo (which is what I used before SplashID) to the
                        > > development graveyard. Hopefully SplashID is not on the same path to
                        > > obscurity and old age.... ;)
                      • kerr_home
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 27, 2006
                          --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, SplashData <moderator@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Steve,
                          >
                          > No, SplashID is in no way heading for the graveyard. It is our flagship
                          > product, and we have just begin the design phase of SplashID 4. We
                          hope to
                          > have a new release by the end of the year.

                          Oops, how did that admission slip out? The cat is well and truly out
                          of the bag now! God knows you would have a million feature requests.
                          Amazingly my world has not caved in waiting for a SplashID update, and
                          it's fair to say my disappointment and frustration in recent times
                          will easily be usurped by my excitement for a new version of SplashID
                          (with a million new features)!