2 users need one splashshopper data file ?? (or a better way)

  • blnel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      The closest existing query to mine I have found is 5181. It is not
      quite what I am looking for.

      The SplashShopper manual suggests a couple of ways of meeting my
      objective, but I am hoping there is something a little more elegant.
      I think SplashShopper loaded when I installed the desktop for the
      Z22's my wife purchased. The 30 day trial ran out before I got to
      playing with it, so I am going to have to ask how, instead of
      learning by playing.

      1. From my point of view, the most desireable feature of
      SplashShopper is the ability to compare prices at multiple stores,
      and retain the most current prices for reference. This will only
      work for my wife and I if we can both be recording prices when we
      shop, and then combine the collected data in one file, perhaps by
      syncing both with the desktop. I need to know the easiest way to get
      the data she collects on my PDA, and to get the data I collect on
      hers.

      2. Do I need to purchases 2 splash shopper licenses to do this, or
      one? This was asked in the query to which 5181 responded, but the
      question did not appear to be answered.

      Bruce Nelson
    • SplashData
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        HI Bruce,

        Thanks for your input on features you would like to see in SplashShopper. We
        will consider adding better support for multiple users sharing data in a
        future version. At this time, you can only beam needed items to other
        handhelds, or copy and paste items from one user to another in the
        SplashShopper desktop. There is no merging of data as you would like.

        We will also note your interest in more complex tax options, and summary
        lists.

        --Justin
        SplashData

        On 1/1/06 7:47 PM, "blnel" <b.l.nelson@...> wrote:

        > The closest existing query to mine I have found is 5181. It is not
        > quite what I am looking for.
        >
        > The SplashShopper manual suggests a couple of ways of meeting my
        > objective, but I am hoping there is something a little more elegant.
        > I think SplashShopper loaded when I installed the desktop for the
        > Z22's my wife purchased. The 30 day trial ran out before I got to
        > playing with it, so I am going to have to ask how, instead of
        > learning by playing.
        >
        > 1. From my point of view, the most desireable feature of
        > SplashShopper is the ability to compare prices at multiple stores,
        > and retain the most current prices for reference. This will only
        > work for my wife and I if we can both be recording prices when we
        > shop, and then combine the collected data in one file, perhaps by
        > syncing both with the desktop. I need to know the easiest way to get
        > the data she collects on my PDA, and to get the data I collect on
        > hers.
        >
        > 2. Do I need to purchases 2 splash shopper licenses to do this, or
        > one? This was asked in the query to which 5181 responded, but the
        > question did not appear to be answered.
        >
        > Bruce Nelson
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        > on the web.
        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Bruce & Lois Nelson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          Justin,
          Thank you for your reply. It has raised 2 more questions.

          Will splashshopper desktop allow me to have 2 windows open - one with my wife's data and one with mine? This would facilitate the cut & paste option.

          Does beaming offer an append option for "duplicate" (eg we each have an entry for frozen peas), or just over-write?

          Thank you

          Bruce Nelson

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
            HI Bruce

            No, sorry, you cannot have 2 windows of SplashShopper open at the same time.
            You have to select items, then copy, then switch users in the user menu, and
            then paste.

            As for beaming, it is pretty basic. Items with the same name will only be
            added to the Need list on beaming ­ the details will not be updated or
            merged if they are different.

            New items (those that do not exist in the recipient list) are added with the
            description and price only, as far as I can tell.

            --Justin
            SplashData

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
              Hi, Justin.

              If I understand correctly what you are saying here and earlier, then splash-shopper will not work for us.

              Out intent was: given a list of grocery items we normally purchase, all marked for multiple stores, and a the stores in the area where we shop, we could record the regular prices of items when we were in the stores, for comparison shopping purposes. So far, so good. Our intent was for me to record information when I am in one store , my wife to record what she finds when she is in another store, and then to easily (your paragraph 1 below is not "easily") copy my research to her PDA, and hers to mine, so that we both always have reasonably current information.

              If SplashShopper cannot do that for us, then I guess we will have to keep looking.

              Thank you for your time.

              Bruce Nelson
              No, sorry, you cannot have 2 windows of SplashShopper open at the same time.
              You have to select items, then copy, then switch users in the user menu, and
              then paste.

              As for beaming, it is pretty basic. Items with the same name will only be
              added to the Need list on beaming ­ the details will not be updated or
              merged if they are different.

              New items (those that do not exist in the recipient list) are added with the
              description and price only, as far as I can tell.

              --Justin
              SplashData

              On 1/4/06 4:11 PM, "Bruce & Lois Nelson" <b.l.nelson@...> wrote:

              > Justin,
              > Thank you for your reply. It has raised 2 more questions.
              >
              > Will splashshopper desktop allow me to have 2 windows open - one with my
              > wife's data and one with mine? This would facilitate the cut & paste option.
              >
              > Does beaming offer an append option for "duplicate" (eg we each have an entry
              > for frozen peas), or just over-write?
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > Bruce Nelson

              Palm os P800 p900

            • SplashData
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
                Bruce,

                That is correct ­ you would need to sync both handheld devices and copy and
                paste items between users to get the result you seek. Beaming the needed
                items will leave out details you may have entered.

                --Justin
                SplashData