Re: Great eWeek article on Quicken and the demise of QIF

  • Lawrence Czarnik
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In SplashData@yahoogroups.com, "iam4realinkc"
      <iam4realinkc@y...> wrote:

      > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1669911,00.

      I'm glad you haven't let sleeping dogs lie on the issue of "Should
      Quicken drop the QIF format". Here is the text of an article where
      someone quite outside this (Palm) sphere is upset because Quicken
      FORCES the issue. Who said institutions have widely adopted the new
      format????

      "Insult No. 1: Planned financial obsolescence
      I was about to upgrade my Quicken software to the newest 2005
      version when I found out that this release no longer supports QIF,
      the Quicken Interchange Format for file transfers. Financial
      institutions have been using this format to package their data for
      Quicken--so that, say, you can download data about your monthly 401
      (k) earnings from your brokerage house into your software. There's a
      newer format, QFX, that Intuit has been trying to convert people to
      for a few years, but there are still many financial institutions--
      such as the company that runs my 401(k)--that haven't made the
      switch.

      Intuit says companies have had plenty of warning and that QIF is not
      robust, so discontinuing support of it is a benefit to consumers.
      How's that? QIF works just great in Quicken 2002, which I currently
      use. It's certainly more robust than copying data from my 401(k)
      manager's Web site into Quicken by hand, which is what I will have
      to do if I upgrade to the 2005 version.

      I cede the point that QFX is technically superior to QIF, but I'm
      not about to have an argument with my 401(k) company about its file
      formats. Intuit didn't do a complete job transitioning its
      institutional base to the new format, and now the company is making
      its customers pay for this failure.

      If that's not bad enough, soon I may not have a choice about
      upgrading and will be forced into a version that doesn't support QIF-
      -Intuit doesn't support all versions of Quicken forever. Eventually,
      I'll find that stock prices and other data won't automatically get
      updated in Quicken 2002. Then I'll have to update and take the
      requisite step backward in functionality. Tell me--how is this
      better for me? "

      Taken from http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-
      5535649.html?tag=adss&tag=nl.e501-2

      Regards,