Having trouble restoring my data

  • tbarcelo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      I recently wiped out my harddrive and started from scratch (about a
      week ago). I have been running SplashID on my handheld that whole
      time, but today I decided to re-install the desktop app. I installed
      v2.59 (I'm not sure what version I was running before, but it was
      less than 6 - 12 months old) and blindly did a HotSync without
      thinking about backup/restore stuff. I got the following error
      message:

      OK Quick Install
      SplashID - The SplashID conduit and the SplashID handheld database
      don't match. Make sure you have the same version of SplashID on the
      desktop and the handheld.
      SplashID synchronization failed

      I went to SplashID on my handheld and entered my registration
      number. All of my data was gone. I launched the desktop version and
      saw no data (not surprisingly). After searching the splashdata site I
      found the Palm database (which I had on an external backup drive). I
      tried to install that, but got the same error message. I tried to
      import the "vid" file living in the Backup folder on my external
      drive, but it claims I don't have the right password (I always use
      the same one for SplashID, and I'm sure I've got it right). I also
      found the desktop backup file on my external drive - it has the
      correct password, but when I open it, none of my data is there (even
      though it is a 17kB file and after opening it, it turns into a 3kB
      file).

      Any suggestions?
    • SplashData
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi Trevor,

        The problem here is that you installed version 2.59. It cannot read the
        SplashID 3.x data that you had since you were using 3.x previously.

        Please reinstall 3.32 and you should find your data on the handheld is still
        there. Don't uninstall first, just install over it:

        http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/download/palm.htm

        Then, if the data only resides on the handheld, set the SplashID conduit to
        handheld overwrites desktop for one sync.

        To do this:
        1. Click the HotSync icon in the system tray on the lower right hand side of
        your windows desktop, and select Custom.
        2. A list of conduits will appear.
        3. Double-click the SplashID conduit and choose handheld overwrites desktop,
        then click OK.
        4. Perform a hotsync. This will move all the data (and password) from the
        handheld to the desktop.

        --Justin
        SplashData

        On 4/1/07 10:50 AM, "tbarcelo" <twbjunk@...> wrote:

        > I recently wiped out my harddrive and started from scratch (about a
        > week ago). I have been running SplashID on my handheld that whole
        > time, but today I decided to re-install the desktop app. I installed
        > v2.59 (I'm not sure what version I was running before, but it was
        > less than 6 - 12 months old) and blindly did a HotSync without
        > thinking about backup/restore stuff. I got the following error
        > message:
        >
        > OK Quick Install
        > SplashID - The SplashID conduit and the SplashID handheld database
        > don't match. Make sure you have the same version of SplashID on the
        > desktop and the handheld.
        > SplashID synchronization failed
        >
        > I went to SplashID on my handheld and entered my registration
        > number. All of my data was gone. I launched the desktop version and
        > saw no data (not surprisingly). After searching the splashdata site I
        > found the Palm database (which I had on an external backup drive). I
        > tried to install that, but got the same error message. I tried to
        > import the "vid" file living in the Backup folder on my external
        > drive, but it claims I don't have the right password (I always use
        > the same one for SplashID, and I'm sure I've got it right). I also
        > found the desktop backup file on my external drive - it has the
        > correct password, but when I open it, none of my data is there (even
        > though it is a 17kB file and after opening it, it turns into a 3kB
        > file).
        >
        > Any suggestions?

      • tbarcelo
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
          Justin,

          Thanks, I'll try that. It hadn't even occurred to me that I might
          have been using 3.x previously. For whatever reason, I just assumed
          I had 2.x. I'll repost my results.

          Thanks,
          Trevor