Revised Dates for Earth Mela

  • Ovee
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2010
      SPROUTS' Earth Mela 2010 – The International Year of Biodiversity
      April 22, 2010 is World Earth day - A day that was created to inspire awareness and appreciation for our environment. Forty years after the first Earth Day, the world is in greater peril than ever before and more species of animals, plants and marine life are depleting from our planet. Considering the urgent need to preserve our bio-diversity, 2010 has been declared as the `International year of Bio-diversity' by the United Nations.
      All over the world, various NGOs and concerned citizens organise events to involve common citizens in efforts to restore our Planet Earth. We at SPROUTS too have been doing our small bit, via our annual bonanza - the Earth Mela. Last year, we focused on ideas to reduce our carbon footprint and emissions – titling it the Carbon Reversal Movement. This year, in line with international plan, SPROUTS' Earth Mela 2010 is focusing on raising awareness about conserving our indigenous biodiversity for the values and services they provide and how they result in the survival and well-being of human beings.
      The SPROUTS' Earth Mela-2010 being organised at the Maharashtra Nature Park (MNPS), on April 24 & 25 from 10am to 6pm, will host a number of events, through which each one of us can also learn about our urban biodiversity and also what one can do to conserve it. The event will include nature trails, a cycle rally, lectures on biodiversity, film screenings a photo-exhibition on our fort's, mountain's, city's and some rare biodiversity, besides fun activities for kids like adventure sports, face painting, colouring and exploration activities. The 2-day event will be a humble initiative to encourage organisations and individuals to take direct or indirect biodiversity conservation activities in the vicinity of their schools, colleges, offices and places of residence.
      You ALL can be a part of the change-making team! So do join us on April 24 & 25 at MNPS, to have a fun filled, educational and thoroughly empowering weekend. We work for Nature! Do YOU?
      Quick Facts of Events:
       Photo Exhibition: 100-120 Photos about rare biodiversity, creatures found on forts, in the Himalaya and also right here in our Mumbai City!
       Film Festival: Documentary and short films on urban wildlife areas, threats to natural habitats, lives of plants & animals and animation (cartoon) films
       Lecture-Demonstrations: Key Note Speech by Mr. Harish Kapadia (Himalayan explorer)
       Nature Trails: Led by eminent Ecologists, such as Dr. C S Latoo & Dr. Parvish Pandya
       Adventure Sports: Led by Harshal Gandhi and his Ergo team
       Cycle Rally: To promote eco-friendly and healthier life-styles
       Stalls: Tribal artefacts, paintings and accessories; Solar equipment such as torches, lanterns, & caps; Paper mache products; Trekking and Camping gear; and garbage recycling set ups; food and drinks,
       Kids Activities: Face painting, t-shirt & poster painting, paper making and games

      Venue: Maharashtra Nature Park, Opposite Dharavi Bus Depot, Bandra-Sion Link Road. Nearest Railway Station (Central) Sion, 1km, (Western) Bandra, 3.5 km. BEST bus services- western suburbs 255, 348, 358, 373, 375, 449, 505. Central/Eastern suburbs 180, 356, 371, 408, 505. Downtown Mumbai 11, 76, 165, 166
      --
      Anand Pendharkar
      Director, SPROUTS