Re: [Skate] Speedskating in Iceland

  • Remco Knooihuizen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      > Hi SpeedSk8er fanatics!! I am curious if anyone here knows of
      > anywhere in Iceland to speedskate..perferably short track, but long
      > track as well!! Please let me know! thanks!

      Well, Iceland doesn't have a domestic speedskating competition in either
      branch of the sport, but they do have an ice hockey competition, so that
      would suggest some hockey rinks. Although according to the information I
      could find, they only have two...

      One belongs to the Vetraríþróttarmiðstöð Íslands and is in Akureyri, where
      Skautafélag Akureyrar plays their home matches. Note that "Skautafélag"
      looks like "Skating club" but means "Hockey club"... Their web adress is
      www.vmi.is, where you can also see a picture of a figure skater in action
      (choose "Hlutverk").

      Their adress is:

      Vetraríþróttarmiðstöð Íslands
      Glerárgata 26
      600 AKUREYRI (Ísland)
      Tlf. (+354) 4601489

      The other one is in Reykjavík's activity area of Laugardalur and is used by
      Skautafélag Reykjavíkur. I didn't see a picture of that but I assume that if
      they're in the telephone book, they exist. Try www.skautafelag.is as a web
      address. Their adress in the actual realm is:

      Skautahöllin í Laugardal
      Múlavegin 1
      104 REYKJAVÍK (Ísland)
      Tlf. (+354) 5889705

      Remco
    • Dirk Broer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2003
        > because chess and skating are so very similar (*)

        But they are indeed, both Dutch Chess and Speed Skating have a union with
        the same name, KNSB.