Windows 7

  • Harry Woodhouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2012

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2012

        Hello Harry,

        Welcome to the group !
        It took me some time to discover the *.doc attachment - I'd prefer text message format instead of a proprietary microsoft file format (no joy for non-windows users..) but anyway.

        You wrote:

        Please help me somebody! I have used the wonderful V2.7b20 program for many years with my two XP computers, using a SWEEX external sound card 5.1 with digital in/out USB 2. I bought a new ACER laptop running Windows 7. On plugging in the SWEEX it said it was installed & ready for use. Loading the old SL program from CD, “Options” shows no volume controls at the bottom, & there is no input signal, so I loaded the SWEEX CD & installed the software (for 2000, XP & VISTA only). Still no V+I (= volume control for audio in & an input signal). I un-installed the old SL program & downloaded the new one (V2.78b15). Now I have “Options” - volume control, but greyed out and still no input signal.

        <

        So you stumbled into the same trouble with Windows 7 as myself.
        To put it in simple words, spectrum lab is unable to launch the trusty old SNDVOL32.EXE program under windows 7 (and vista) simply because this program doesn't exist anymore. And up till today, I didn't find an adequate replacement for this easy-to-use utility.
        The lack of SNDVOL32.EXE under Windows 7 is the reason why this item is greyed in Spectrum Lab's menu, because the recent version is aware of the operating system on which it is running. Older SL versions just didn't care, and showed the menu item, but of course since SNDVOL32.EXE doesn't exist on such machines the attempt to open the input volume control panel could not be opened this way.

        From the excellent HELP manual (trouble with Windows 7) I selected Control Panel – Sound – Recording, but I only had 2 choices – MIC (default) & REALTEK STERIO MIX (disabled). I disabled MIC & applied REALTEK, but still no V+I.

        <

        If I remember correctly, we had similar issues with other soundcards (under Windows 7) here some time ago. I hardly ever use Windows 7 myself, and don't remember exactly what to do to make the complete selection of soundcard input volume controls visible.

        Suggestions anyone ?

        Under Options – Audio Settings, I have tried everything. Input Device shows wave input, mic, SDRIQ/SDR14 & Perseus. None work. Clicking the 3 dots I have tried to install my SWEEX program files (CmiSetupConfig.dll) without success (“Access Violation”)!
        <

        The CmiSetupConfig.dll will most likely not be an "ExtIO"- or "Audio-I/O"-compatible DLL. Instead it will be "launched" (if that's the right word) from another application, which is most likely the control program shipped along with your soundcard. For example, audio devices by Creative Labs, E-MU, and others often come along with a bunch of software which gives the user more control over the hardware than the default 'soundcard volume' control panel which belongs to windows. Such software is sometimes required to set the signal paths inside complex hardware (see my rants about the 'audigy' card which I used several years ago; where you had to create a "special effect" filter to avoid unwanted bypass from line-in to line-out).
        First thing to find out is if an audio card really supports a true "line-in", or is resticted to using the "mic-in" jack for the analog input, or if the "mic-in" jack can be turned into a "line-input" (with input levels of a few hundred millivolts, rather than just a few millivolts from a microphone). All this is entirely out of Spectrum Lab's control, because I never tried to integrate my own "audio mixer control" in the software - it was terribly complex, and the documentation about the programming interface was extremely poor. This may have changed in recent years, maybe time for me to visit the microsoft documentation again :o)

        ... but I'd really prefer not re-inventing the wheel. So if somebody out there knows a *good* replacement for SNDVOL32.EXE to run under Windows 7, which does exactly what SNDVOL32.EXE used to do (including the possibility to be controlled via command line) please let us know.

      • kh6sky
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2012

          I do not have a replacement for sndvol32.exe as such, but there is a mixer class for VB that seems to work for me in most cases on Win7. It took me a while to figure out how to use it and actually, I am doing a bit of guessing in my implementation. You could make a stand alone exe out of it or a dll. Let me know if you want the code.

          I am not sure what the *s around *good* mean!

          Aloha,
          Jim Sky

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2012
            Hello Jim,

            Many thanks for the offer.
            Well there are a couple of tools around which claim to replace SNDVOL32.EXE on Windows 7 but they don't really work (at least on my windows 7 "test PC").
            But in the meantime, thanks to a member of the group who sent a private mail, a solution is found.
            One possible command line to open the soundcard input control panel under Windows 7 is:

            "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe" Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

            Sounds like a very cryptic replacement for "sndvol32.exe -r" but seems to work.
            The path to the executable (c:\windows\system32\) can even be left away.

            I have already integrated this command in the menu of spectrum lab now, but could only test it on a single machine. It still lacks the possibility to switch immediately to the volume slider / signal selection switch for the currently selected device, but it's better than nothing.

            Am 06.10.2012 00:12, schrieb kh6sky:

            Hi Wolf,

            I do not have a replacement for sndvol32.exe as such, but there is a mixer class for VB that seems to work for me in most cases on Win7. It took me a while to figure out how to use it and actually, I am doing a bit of guessing in my implementation. You could make a stand alone exe out of it or a dll. Let me know if you want the code.

            I am not sure what the *s around *good* mean!

            Aloha,
            Jim Sky

            > ... but I'd really prefer not re-inventing the wheel. So if somebody out
            > there knows a *good* replacement for SNDVOL32.EXE to run under Windows
            > 7, which does exactly what SNDVOL32.EXE used to do (including the
            > possibility to be controlled via command line) please let us know.

          • kelwood888
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2012
              Dear Wolf,

              I apologise for the attachment. Sorry! Thanks very much for your help. I was amazed at your rapid response! Congratulations on your wonderful program.

              Best wishes,

              Harry, G3MFW