Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] The Hum (was RTL2832u wideband dongle)

  • Steve Kohlhase
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2012
      Kurt

      Not neccessarily different, but heres why I participate;

      I am an Mechanical Engineer trying to raise attention to the gov't agencies I beleive in direct control of an industry that for us here in Tri State CT/NY/NJ , is the source generating ILFN/ LFN surface Rayleigh waves inducing in dwelling, in vehicle hum and vibrations.  I have put in over 3000 hours observing, researching and performing field testing  (albeit with more a qualitative value than quantitative) to what was a hunch at the start of the hum , has proven otherwise, and far more reaching and encompassing.

      Through process of elimination (including data and findings from 2 reputible acoustic testing consultants) I have done extensive testing using the same methods as the consultants of 1/3 octave analysis and on my own also using FFT and Spectrum Lab . It is conclusive here, the hum is being caused by major additions/ modifications to two High Pressure (800 psig- 1400psig) Natural Gas Transmission company systems at 5 new or modified natural gas mainline compressor stations in the state. Adding tens of thousands of horse power in 2008 systems and other changes foilwed shortly after they went into service, the HUM.  Field testing along these systems on the right of ways as well as many miles perpendicually away (triangulated, scatter diagram) verifies the expected results. The epicenter of the linear/planar type source pipelines and attentuaion absolutely fit the hypothesis.  And the only way to get this is using tools, the human hear is useless for this work other than confirming in the characteristicss of the hum and its presense at the location being tested (car used as a mobile acosutics lab).  This phenomena is not like most can understand.  You just can't listen and hear this stuff without something to reasonate at natural frequency.  It's comlex and needs to be seriously investigated and exposed and fixed.

      So I tell you this because the blogs and forums like the yahoo forum are full of location data and experieinces needed to pull a nationwide research effort together and  are the only place to collect data like this.  As long as the report seems to have some validity and meets the defintion of low frequency, idling deisel engine, vibrations of floors, almost only heard inside a dwelling, ill feelings, etc do they get logged.  98% batting average so far on pipeline conclusion.

      I tried to attach a map of the locations in the USA over laid on the major pipeline systems, but won't upload.  It is in teh yahoo hum forum files section though, sorry.

      Anyway, again if someone on the forum starts to do work on this, please contact me so we can exchange notes

      Steve

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012
        Hello Bill,

        You asked:

        > Has anyone attempted to interface the RTL2832u dongle to SL?

        You may want to check out the very last "beta", Spectrum Lab V2.78 b11.
        There is (marginal..) support for Winrad-compatible ExtIO-DLLs in SL
        now. If there is a suitable interface DLL (ExtIO_something.DLL) forthe
        RTL2832-dongle somewhere, it may work with SL.
        So far, I only tested the ExtIO-DLL-host with an SDR-IQ and a Perseus,
        and in addition the new feature was tested with a QS1R .

        As usual, the latest 'beta' is here:

        http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab_beta.zip

        (Beware: it may, and at the moment does, contain a couple of bugs. The
        ExtIO-DLL must provide an I/Q-stream to the application. ExtIO-DLLs
        which require a soundcard to stream in the audio are not supported yet,
        but this may change if there is a demand for it).

        How to select a Winrad-compatible ExtIO-DLL for input in Spectrum Lab is
        described here:

        http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/settings.htm#ext_io_dll

        All the best, and special greetings to the members who moved here from
        the 'old' group,

        Wolfgang "Wolf" DL4YHF .
      • William Dionne
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 24, 2012
          Wolf,  This is indeed good news.  I know this dongle has marginal performance for many applications but to have a tunable bandwidth of nearly 2 GHz and an instantaneous bandwidth of 2 MHz this device deserves investigating in the true spirit of amateur radio.

          Thanks again,

          Bill
          N4DM