Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] wave-file stereo FFT

  • Jurgen Bartels
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2012
      > BTW: SL installs as C:\Spectrum
      > This is bad habit. It has to use the default program path provided by a
      > system variable from M$.

      No it's just a good idea.
      Since Vista app's can't store data in its program folder anymore, and you get
      very bad side effects. I guess you don't want those?

      Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      Antennas hor.: 45-87MHz: 11-ele, FM: 15.11, Band-III:13-ele, UHF:48-ele,
      MW: 90m bev 220°, 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
      300m staggered beverages 320° http://dx.3sdesign.de/staggered_beverage.htm
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2012

        BTW: SL installs as C:\Spectrum This is bad habit. It has to use the default program path provided by a system variable from M$.

        No, that's not a bad habit. It's due to the stupid restriction of the stupid new OS which doesn't allow an application to write anything in it's "own" folder (after being installed in the windoze "programs" folder).
        I prefer to have all which belongs to a program in one place (here: the configurations in form of the *.usr-files), instead of spreading them all over the harddisk, in stupid folders like "Meine Dateien", "Meine Dokumente", or whatever the current version of windoze may like to call it.

        Are there good alternative to SL?

        Wish you good luck.

      • ehydra
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2012
          Hi Wolf -

          I don't understand why you so shortcoming. I meant it well!

          Especially I hate Windows too but have to life with the problems <every
          day>. And I see problems popping up for older peoples like me.
          Youngsters often see something different and always feel considerable
          more confortable with the changing world. To be concrecte: My 9 years
          old child works better with Win7 than I.

          Back to problem:
          Install the program with administrative rights for it. It will be able
          to change all things it likes to do. For example I'm a power user of
          LTspice. This prog auto-updates it's own code without problems.

          Warning: If you cannot trust the prog, then don't follow my advice!
          There are other fixes for the problem but they are more complicated.

          It is interesting to see that several people here react on minor
          problems but ignoring my other much more important questions.

          SL is a great peace of software I surely nether capable to write it
          myself but it lacks the user point of view. It looks like my clipboard
          books of engineering. Those books are read by me and no one else. I can
          write anything unfollowable in there and when I'm gone my child will
          throw it. That is the way it goes. Nothing new.

          Out of a user perspective it is easier to shorten a path than to add it
          in a specific way to the underlying OS. That was the intention of my
          remark markabered by follow-ups.

          Wolf, your reaction is that of a small child. "My toy is all the best."
          Think of it if your blood pressure settled down.

          SL wants C:\Spectrum
          LTspice wants C:\LTC (No, it is well-behaved and the author hates Win too!)
          100 progs want C: root
          100 other progs don't want a space in the path
          etc. A nightmare!
          If you drop several hundred objects in root the system will definetely
          crash! This is well known. Once I had a customer crying for loosing
          years of work in this way.

          I think there was a need to explain in lengthly. Happy Ostern.

          BTW: Meanwhile I found RDS and MPX baseband recordings. So I don't need
          any further help. At least for the moment. Have to check all the
          resources...

          >> Are there good alternative to SL?
          >>
          > Wish you good luck.

          Ah, the little child.

          Thanks -
          Henry

          --
          ehydra.dyndns.info
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2012
            Henry,

            you wrote:

            It is interesting to see that several people here react on minor
            problems but ignoring my other much more important questions.

            Maybe simply because no-one here is able to answer them (including myself) ?

            For example, questions about how to configure the signal path in a soundcard.
            The original answer was that SL doesn't care about that : It opens the soundcard for input (and/or output), but in no way does is try to change the card's internal processing.
            I know this is painful for the user, and the same or similar question have been asked before, but I just cannot answer it because I don't know how to convince your audio device (or somebody else's) to do what you want it to (deliver the audio which another program sent to the soundcard).

            SL is a great peace of software I surely nether capable to write it
            myself but it lacks the user point of view. It looks like my clipboard
            books of engineering.

            Agreed. But the simply isn't the time to re-write it, give it a shiny new user interface which is up to today's short-living standard. May be I'm a bit old fashioned (I'm not as young as you may think) but I will not trade the main window (with its old-school menu) for anything else. The configuration screen is another thing, I don't like the grown structure with the many tabs. But re-writing that form from scratch isn't worth the time I would have to invest in it.

            Wolf, your reaction is that of a small child. "My toy is all the best."

            Ooops. This is definitely *not* what I think. If you interpreted my reaction this way, my apologies. I also don't compare apples (software written by a team of developers for a certain purpose) and pears (a piece of software written by a single individual in his spare time, which evolved over the years).

            However, having spent a few hours looking into the code of the RDS-encoder trying to modify it for talking "directly" to another application, only to get such a response is, mildly said, not very encouraging.

          • Jurgen Bartels
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2012
              Henry,

              > SL is a great peace of software I surely nether capable to write it
              > myself but it lacks the user point of view. It looks like my clipboard
              > books of engineering. Those books are read by me and no one else. I can
              > write anything unfollowable in there and when I'm gone my child will
              > throw it. That is the way it goes. Nothing new.

              Be aware: you are using Spectrum Lab (Lab = laboratory)
              And you did that intentionally, then please expect many components that needs
              to be configured. And that's what I really like, you can do a lot with those to
              get out something new, and are not limited by flashy configuration screens that
              prevents you accessing each and every parameter.
              If you need a simple & easy to use app, then look elsewhere, there's plenty.
              But I bet, you will be back very soon, after getting disapointed by those.

              > Wolf, your reaction is that of a small child. "My toy is all the best."

              That's a very unprofessional and unfair statement. Wolf spent an enormous
              amount of his time, and even answered many user questions, all for free. So he
              deserves more respect.

              > If you drop several hundred objects in root the system will definetely
              > crash! This is well known. Once I had a customer crying for loosing
              > years of work in this way.

              That happens with old window versions. So better upgrade to XP or higher

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2012
                wolf_dl4yhf schrieb:
                > However, having spent a few hours looking into the code of the
                > RDS-encoder trying to modify it for talking "directly" to another
                > application, only to get such a response is, mildly said, not very
                > encouraging.

                Sorry for your hours! I thought you will ask after 10 minutes specific
                details or just give up. Maybe you are a Explorer as me ;-)

                As posted, meanwhile I found a solution. I don't know why the developer
                uses the carrier at 47.5KHz and 3 (not 2 !) sequential bits of the
                data-stream to index the wave-table. But I'm sure one day I will know it.
                I'm guessing he wants to use low-budget sound-cards with max. 48KHz
                sampling frequency and choosed the upper usable end. But how works the
                carrier shift to 57KHz? You can't change the modulation index for one
                component if the other stereo components have to be added before! Or I
                miss something.

                - Henry

                --
                ehydra.dyndns.info