VOR beacon

  • bernard BUTRY
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
      Hello,
      SL will suffice to himself to decode a VOR beacon and then, get direction from the beacon?
      In this case, I would like to have the file .usr to test listening.
      Thank you.
      Bernard.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
        Hi Bernard,

        SL cannot "decode" a VOR beacon. It can show its presence on the waterfall display, but there's no way to decode anything from the beacon's modulation.
        For radio-direction finding, you would need a suitable antenna + dual-channel receiver (same principle as for the VLF RDF, with the additional complexity that the frequency must be converted down to the soundcard's audio range).

        Am 12.02.2012 09:18, schrieb bernard BUTRY:

        Hello,
        SL will suffice to himself to decode a VOR beacon and then, get direction from the beacon?
        In this case, I would like to have the file .usr to test listening.
        Thank you.
        Bernard.

      • f1ehx
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
          Seen from the side BF, the VOR is a 9960 Hz carrier modulated at 30 Hz, I thought there was some way with SL to filter the signals to extract the phase difference, other than by a double reception.
          Thank you for your response.