Sound capture device

  • tillerman1@videotron.ca
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2011
      Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to capture the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something with a sampling rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats and big brown bats.

      George Anderson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2011
        Hello George,

        I am using an E-MU 0202 for bat observations. I supports 96 and even 192 kSamples/seconds, and at least under Windows XP works very well (no info on "Vista" and windows 7).

        With 192 kHz SR, the frequency response is almost flat up to 94 kHz (="usable bandwidth").

        Cheers,
            Wolfgang "Wolf" Büscher

        Am 10.07.2011 04:20, schrieb tillerman1@...:

        Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to capture the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something with a sampling rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats and big brown bats.

        George Anderson

      • Copsne
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2011
          Hello. Should you enter bat hibernation caves where the white nose syndrome in the US east, is killing them. Please measure for frequencies below 50 (thats correct 50) hz. Would help with our study regarding escalating levels of ILFN and its harm

          Thx

          Sent from Steve's iPhone

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2011
            Hi Steve

            Since the rapid expansion of white nose syndrome the public in Canada has been requested not to enter bat caves, most people are complying with that wish.

            George

          • tillerman1@videotron.ca
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2011
              Hi Wolf

              Many thanks, I'll see if I can find a local dealer for E-Mu (I can remember their first music synths) if not I'll have to shop on line.

              George

              > Hello George,
              >
              > I am using an E-MU 0202 for bat observations. I supports 96 and even 192
              > kSamples/seconds, and at least under Windows XP works very well (no info
              > on "Vista" and windows 7).
              >
              > With 192 kHz SR, the frequency response is almost flat up to 94 kHz
              > (="usable bandwidth").
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Wolfgang "Wolf" Büscher
              >

              > Am 10.07.2011 04:20, schrieb tillerman1@...:
              > >
              > > Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to
              > > capture the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something
              > > with a sampling rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats
              > > and big brown bats.
              > >
              > > George Anderson

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:20 AM
                Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Sound capture device

                > Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to capture
                > the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something with a sampling
                > rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats and big brown bats.

                I've been thinking of using my Magenta Bat5 detector (see
                www.magenta2000.co.uk for details) and feed the constant level output to a
                digital recorder, but that only gives an audio conversion of the received
                frequency of course.

                I have, in the past, also built a detector based upon a cheap ultrasonic
                transducer (sold in pairs, one transmitter and the other a receiver) and
                I've considered getting another one to connect to a length of cable to point
                out of the window.

                The problem with large external soundcards, for me, is carrying them and the
                PC around. Even a notebook is a bulky thing to lug about and set up in the
                evening when the bats typically come out.

                There are other detectors, some of which are very expensive and aimed at the
                profeesional/achademic bat watcher and these are well out of my budget...

                Dave (G0DJA)
              • Copsne
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                  Thx. If someone is allowed, and has the opportunity please share
                  Steve

                  Sent from Steve's iPhone

                  On Jul 10, 2011, at 11:01 PM, tillerman1@... wrote:

                  Hi Steve

                  Since the rapid expansion of white nose syndrome the public in Canada has been requested not to enter bat caves, most people are complying with that wish.

                  George

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Copsne <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

                  > Hello. Should you enter bat hibernation caves where the white nose syndrome in the US east, is killing them. Please measure for frequencies below 50 (thats correct 50) hz. Would help with our study regarding escalating levels of ILFN and its harm
                  >
                  > Thx
                  >
                  > Sent from Steve's iPhone
                  >
                  > On Jul 9, 2011, at 10:20 PM, tillerman1@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to capture the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something with a sampling rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats and big brown bats.
                  > >
                  > > George Anderson

                • Jean-Claude Darizcuren
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
                    Bonjour, je suis un nouvel inscrit à SpectrumLabUsers. Je m'intéresse au VLF. Pour pouvoir enregistrer sur des points hauts, j'ai un enregistreur numérique Olympus dont la caractéristique maximum est 96 kHz 24 bits. J'ai fait des essais avec enregistrement en direct avec ordinateur portable et l'enregistreur. Je n'ai pas vu de différence. L'antenne cadre est branchée à l'entrée micro. Si le signal est trop élevé, il y a un attenuatteur sur l'Olympus (modèle LS-5). Comme l'enregistrement est stéréo, je supprime un canal avec Audacity. Rentré chez-moi, je peux voir le résultat en branchant l'Olympus sur mon ordinateur portable, soit par la sortie haut-parleur soir par la sortie USB. Donc je pense que les micros internes montent très haut, sinon, utiliser des micros ultrason pour alarme, vieilles télécommandes TV, appareil chasseur d'insectes etc.
                    Excusez-moi, je suis nul en Anglais.
                    Amicalement
                    F2IJ Jean-Claude

                    To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16, 2011
                      George,
                      I bought mine at Florida Sound, but Amazon has it for 89.00USD, about 45% of retail.
                      It's a great unit.  I'm using it for monitoring five VLF stations from the Omaha area.

                      Tom

                      On 7/10/2011 10:02 PM, tillerman1@... wrote:

                      Hi Wolf

                      Many thanks, I'll see if I can find a local dealer for E-Mu (I can remember their first music synths) if not I'll have to shop on line.

                      George

                      > Hello George,
                      >
                      > I am using an E-MU 0202 for bat observations. I supports 96 and even 192
                      > kSamples/seconds, and at least under Windows XP works very well (no info
                      > on "Vista" and windows 7).
                      >
                      > With 192 kHz SR, the frequency response is almost flat up to 94 kHz
                      > (="usable bandwidth").
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Wolfgang "Wolf" Büscher
                      >

                      > Am 10.07.2011 04:20, schrieb tillerman1@...:
                      > >
                      > > Can anyone suggest a sound capture or A/D device that I can use to
                      > > capture the echolocation calls of bats? I am looking for something
                      > > with a sampling rate of at least 80K. We mainly have little brown bats
                      > > and big brown bats.
                      > >
                      > > George Anderson

                    • ehydra
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 21, 2011
                        It works on Win7 in compatibility XP SP3 AND admin mode. At least here.

                        - Henry

                        --
                        ehydra.dyndns.info