Welcome 'Sub-9 kHz-Users'

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
      Greetings all,

      A few new members have joined the group (after it was mentioned on the
      RSGB LF reflector).
      For those who wonder what the 9 kHz experiments are about (not
      SL-related), I suggest to read:

      - https://sites.google.com/site/sub9khz/home

      (Introduction into the VLF amateur radio experiments, with lots of info,
      and a blog with recent activities)

      - http://www.qrz.com/db/DK7FC

      (page by Stefan, DK7FC, describing his kite-antenna experiments)

      For these ultra-weak signal modes, we use an extremely long FFT,
      resulting in an extremely low 'equivalent receiver bandwidth', measured
      in uHz (microhertz) rather than a few dozen Hz (for CW aka Morse code)
      or 3000 Hz (for SSB, voice).
      To make use of these extreme frequency resolutions, the sampling clock
      of the soundcard must be stabilized. Otherwise, a slightly varying
      sample rate would 'smear out' the signal energy into a larger number of
      adjacent FFT bins ("frequency bins"). This spectral spreading makes
      copying of these weak signals worse, if not impossible.
      At the moment, the easiest (but not the best) solution is to use one of
      the MSK-modulated VLF transmitters, as descibed here:

      http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/frqcalib.htm#MSK_signals

      However, locking the soundcard's clock to one of the VLF "broadcasters"
      doesn't seem to work as good as in Europe in other parts of the world. I
      am already working on an additional method, which uses the 1-pps output
      ('sync output' with one pulse per second) from certain GPS receivers.
      This isn't finished yet, but implemented in the most recent "beta"
      version of Spectrum Lab.
      A preliminary description is here:

      http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/frqcalib.htm#gps_pps_output

      If you are one of the lucky owners of a suitable GPS receiver, and
      interested in the 9 kHz experiments, please let me know your experiences.
      Also, if you are far away from Europe, and plan to use one of the
      American or Australian VLF (MSK) transmitters as a frequency reference,
      please let us know which of them are really suitable (because I cannot
      test them here, the signals are too weak for synchronisation even though
      they are nicely visible in the waterfall display).

    • g3zjo
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
        Hi Wolf

        I will ask the question in the proper place:-)

        Is it a known problem for some instances (when running multiple
        instances of SpeLab) to have blank Plot traces.

        The data for the Plot is fine and indicated when clicking on the
        relative tab, the Plot produces no trace (no ink).

        I don't find this a great problem, I just work around it, ie open
        another instance, then another until I find an instance with a working
        Plot, this can then be saved and works again when restored.

        73 Eddie G3ZJO
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
          Hi Eddie,

          I didn't check this here yet (preparing for a trip to the Ham Radio in
          Friedrichshafen..).

          But I remember there was a problem under Windows 98 once, which had
          limited "system resources" (window handles, file handles, graphic
          handles aka "GDI handles"). The pens allocated (created) by the plotter
          for the pens are one of these resources.
          So my first question, after returning from the holiday trip, will be :
          - Which operating system are you using ?
          - does this problem occurr on one machine only (if you can check it on
          several PCs) ?
          - does it depend on the number of other programs running on the same
          machine ?

          73,
          Wolf DL4YHF .

          Am 21.06.2011 12:41, schrieb g3zjo:
          > Hi Wolf
          >
          > I will ask the question in the proper place:-)
          >
          > Is it a known problem for some instances (when running multiple
          > instances of SpeLab) to have blank Plot traces.
          >
          > The data for the Plot is fine and indicated when clicking on the
          > relative tab, the Plot produces no trace (no ink).
          >
          > I don't find this a great problem, I just work around it, ie open
          > another instance, then another until I find an instance with a working
          > Plot, this can then be saved and works again when restored.
          >
          > 73 Eddie G3ZJO

        • g3zjo
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
            FB Wolf

            No hurry at all, enjoy the Friedrichshafen trip.

            For your information I run Windows XP with SP3. As I am running multiple
            SpecLab instances I don't run any other programs at the same time.

            I will do further checks but I think it does occur on another XP SP3
            machine also, it was one of my attempted 'get outs' when I had the problem.

            When F6GUU visited last week I said to him it was most likely just
            another Windows silly.:-) Definitely no panic I always get round it.

            73 Eddie

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
              Hi Eddie,

              ok... the problem is reproducable here now. The reason are not the pens
              (graphic object) but the access to the plot file buffer.
              This is what I see in the debug window / error history of the 2nd
              running instance:

              Can't create "plotter0.tmp", Windoze says "Der Prozess kann nicht auf
              die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.".

              (the system error message roughly translates into "cannot access the
              file because it's already being used", not sure what this would be on an
              'english speaking PC').

              There's one extremely ugly workaround:
              Copy the 2nd instance into its own directory. Then there will two buffer
              files for the plotter, same name ("plotter0.tmp") but different folders.

              Slightly better solution: Change the name of the 'temporary plot file'
              for the 2nd instance. This is done on the tab 'Memory, Misc." in the
              plot window. The default is "plotter0.tmp". Suggestion: Change this to
              "plotter2.tmp" for the 2nd instance.

              Best solution (but just a future plan): SL knows if it runs as the 1st,
              2nd, or whatever instance, and automagically uses a new filename for the
              plotter's data buffer.

              About the problem with the Conditional Actions: I tried it here, and
              found no problem yet. Thirty lines of conditional actions were defined,
              saved, and successfully re-loaded on the next program start.

              73,
              Wolf .
            • g3zjo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
                Thanks Wolf

                I think your English Windoze error message translation is exactly right.
                I will try changing the name of the temporary plot file next time I come
                across it.

                Regarding Conditional Actions you wrote:-

                > Thirty lines of conditional actions were defined

                Maybe I am doing this wrong, I have five different 2 line conditional
                actions separately defined and saved.
                Watch(expr.)1, Watch(expr.)2, Watch(expr.)3, Watch(expr.)4,
                Watch(expr.)5. When I wanted to go from one to two I tried writing four
                lines but couldn't work out how to label and handle the result, so I did
                it my way as per Mr F Sinatra.

                Eddie

                On 21/06/2011 14:37, wolf_dl4yhf wrote:
                > Hi Eddie,
                >
                > ok... the problem is reproducable here now. The reason are not the pens
                > (graphic object) but the access to the plot file buffer.
                > This is what I see in the debug window / error history of the 2nd
                > running instance:

                > Can't create "plotter0.tmp", Windoze says "Der Prozess kann nicht auf
                > die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.".
                >
                > (the system error message roughly translates into "cannot access the
                > file because it's already being used", not sure what this would be on an
                > 'english speaking PC').
                >
                > There's one extremely ugly workaround:
                > Copy the 2nd instance into its own directory. Then there will two buffer
                > files for the plotter, same name ("plotter0.tmp") but different folders.
                >
                > Slightly better solution: Change the name of the 'temporary plot file'
                > for the 2nd instance. This is done on the tab 'Memory, Misc." in the
                > plot window. The default is "plotter0.tmp". Suggestion: Change this to
                > "plotter2.tmp" for the 2nd instance.
                >
                > Best solution (but just a future plan): SL knows if it runs as the 1st,
                > 2nd, or whatever instance, and automagically uses a new filename for the
                > plotter's data buffer.
                >
                > About the problem with the Conditional Actions: I tried it here, and
                > found no problem yet. Thirty lines of conditional actions were defined,
                > saved, and successfully re-loaded on the next program start.
                >
                > 73,

              • chrisgomy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22, 2011
                  Hello Wolf, Eddie, group,

                  I've also experienced the missing ink problem and I confirm that choosing a different "plotter_x.tmp" file solves the problem but took me a while to figure it out :-) For reference, the PC is an old 2.4Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM running 10 SL instances, almost 100% CPU load.

                  The question I have for the group is: how can I periodically save to local disk the plotter images? I'd like to archive them as .jpg files if possible.

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Chris 4X1RF
                  my on line (V)LF grabbers: http://qsl.net/4x1rf

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22, 2011
                    Hi Chris,

                    Thanks for the feedback - and yes, there is a command to save an image of the plotter window as a file.
                    It's described here:

                    http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/watchwin.htm#interpreter

                    You can invoke the capture command periodically (from the 'Periodic Events' list), etc.

                    More details if necessary when I'm back from the Ham Radio fair in Friedrichshafen, next week.

                    Am 22.06.2011 20:19, schrieb chrisgomy:

                    Hello Wolf, Eddie, group,

                    I've also experienced the missing ink problem and I confirm that choosing a different "plotter_x.tmp" file solves the problem but took me a while to figure it out :-) For reference, the PC is an old 2.4Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM running 10 SL instances, almost 100% CPU load.

                    The question I have for the group is: how can I periodically save to local disk the plotter images? I'd like to archive them as .jpg files if possible.

                    Thanks in advance,

                    Chris 4X1RF
                    my on line (V)LF grabbers: http://qsl.net/4x1rf

                    > Hi Eddie,
                    >
                    > ok... the problem is reproducable here now. The reason are not the pens
                    > (graphic object) but the access to the plot file buffer.
                    > This is what I see in the debug window / error history of the 2nd
                    > running instance:

                    > Can't create "plotter0.tmp", Windoze says "Der Prozess kann nicht auf
                    > die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.".
                    >
                    > (the system error message roughly translates into "cannot access the
                    > file because it's already being used", not sure what this would be on an
                    > 'english speaking PC').
                    >
                    > There's one extremely ugly workaround:
                    > Copy the 2nd instance into its own directory. Then there will two buffer
                    > files for the plotter, same name ("plotter0.tmp") but different folders.
                    >
                    > Slightly better solution: Change the name of the 'temporary plot file'
                    > for the 2nd instance. This is done on the tab 'Memory, Misc." in the
                    > plot window. The default is "plotter0.tmp". Suggestion: Change this to
                    > "plotter2.tmp" for the 2nd instance.
                    >
                    > Best solution (but just a future plan): SL knows if it runs as the 1st,
                    > 2nd, or whatever instance, and automagically uses a new filename for the
                    > plotter's data buffer.
                    >
                    > About the problem with the Conditional Actions: I tried it here, and
                    > found no problem yet. Thirty lines of conditional actions were defined,
                    > saved, and successfully re-loaded on the next program start.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Wolf .

                  • g3zjo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 22, 2011
                      Hi Chris

                      This one I did work out OK.

                      Periodic Action
                      plot.capture("C/My Export folder/plotted.jpg")

                      73 Eddie