Increased Surviellance Width

  • wrdionne2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2011
      Wolf, Great product. I've been using SL since 2006 at my SETI Argus site. But want to expand my spectrum view beyond 96 KHz. Tried a E-MU 1212 (192 KHz) in a dual core PC under WIN7 but it was problematic. I see SL supports Perseus at 500KHz (500 Khz spectrum width?). For weak signal work I try to use a RBW around 1 Hz and a WF frame rate of ~30 sec. With a Perseus @ 500 KHz is the previous setup doable? Are you considering supporting the WINRADIO Excalibur? It sports a DDC of 2 MHz and a virtual sound-card. I have additional SL questions but need to solve the surveillance width issue first.

      Thanks,
      Bill
      N4DM
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2011
        Hello Bill,

        you asked:

        Are you considering supporting the WINRADIO Excalibur?

        Unfortunately not - this would be a very time-consuming job, and I already have two good software-defined radios here.
        Yes SL did support Perseus at 500 kSamples/second (which, due to the I + Q processing, is almost the same as the 'usable bandwidth'). But I'm not sure about Perseus and Win7 - I'm very happy with windows XP which still seems to give less headaches than Win7. So I will keep it as my 'primary OS' as long as possible.
        Note sure about the 1 Hz resolution at 500 kSamples/second. That would call for an exceptionally "long" FFT running at an exceptionally large rate ... guess you will need a really fast PC for that.

        Cheers,
           Wolf DL4YHF .

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2011
          Wolf,  I appreciate your quick response.  I guess I'll purchase, a quad core PC and have the operating system "backed" to WINXP,  and a Perseus.  This would be a great improvement for my efforts.

          Thanks again,

          Bill
          N4DM

          On Apr 10, 2011, at 12:07 PM, wolf_dl4yhf wrote:

          Hello Bill,

          you asked: