Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] UTC time

  • Bill Cromwell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
      On 06/27/2013 05:35 AM, edgar wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a set-up with two channels displayed in the spectrum and watch
      > plot.
      >
      > The time is displayed as UTC in the spectrum legend, and the watch plot.
      >
      > However the time elapsed time in the bottom of the spectrum is local time.
      >
      > How can the elapsed local time be displayed as UTC?
      >
      > Regards, Edgar
      > Moonah, Tasmania.
      ---images snipped-----

      Hi Edgar,

      I see what looks like timestamps on the grid but elapsed time has
      nothing to do with time zones and nothing to do directly the time shown
      on any clock. Elapsed time is the difference in seconds, minutes, hours,
      days, weeks, months, etc from the start time to the present or ending time.

      Local time is the sun time at a given location and varies by the mile.
      Has nothing to do with your clock, your time zone, or Zulu time but may
      be determined by observing local noon when the sun is at it's highest
      point. May be be determined by shadows from the sun at their shortest or
      when a vertical pin's shadow points exactly north. See celestial
      navigation. Clocks only come into play to know how far east or west we
      are from a reference point. The standard reference point has been named
      the zero meridian and runs through London (a completely arbitrary but
      standard reference).

      Did you really mean to ask if the time stamps are given as the time in
      your time zone instead of in Zulu time (the zero meridian)? I'm still
      wading into Spectrum Lab but I started SpecLab and went to "Options ->
      System Settings -> Time Zone, Time Source, Timer Calibration". There I
      see a window with time of day advancing the display in my time zone.
      Mine has the defaults since I have done nothing to change it. The option
      "get time zone information from system" was ticked as the default. It
      says that is what will be used for the display. This is probably a good
      place for you to start. In that same pane is a place to adjust the
      displayed time from Zulu time. The default shown in mine is 0 (zero) and
      should be -4 since I am on EDT in the USA. That might be something to
      take care of there. In that same panel is my geographic coordinates,
      still at the default of the zero meridian at the Equator. That is NOT
      where I am. Some day I will enter the correct information. At the
      moment, matching timestamps have no relevance for my use of Spectrum
      Analyzer but if I start record keeping I can see that they will become
      important to me.

      Let us know if you find the solution to your mismatched time zone
      records there. Or maybe somebody else has the real answer. Hope this helps.

      73,

      Bill KU8H
    • edgar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
        Hi Bill,

        Thank you for your reply.

        After further experimentation with changing the time zone settings

        the time in UTC is now being displayed in the waterfall.

        I had assumed that a figure for the time difference between

        local and UTC time had to be entered in the "Time added to UTC for display" box.

        The signal is a local non directional beacon USB and LSB signal.

        A couple of other observations.

        1. The time scale on the watch plot window does not match that on the waterfall screen.

        "Waterfall Scroll Interval" = 0.01 seconds.

        Plotter time base set to 0.01 sec/step

        Plotter display. More then one cycle of signal in a similar number of pixels of the waterfall display.

        2. The long term average is a only available for channel #1.

        3. When in the two channel display mode the cursor type is not always correct.

        It gets "stuck" on the one style for sometime.

        Regards, Edgar
        Moonah, Tasmania.

      • Bill Cromwell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
          On 06/27/2013 09:23 PM, edgar wrote:
          > Hi Bill,
          >
          > Thank you for your reply.
          >
          > After further experimentation with changing the time zone settings
          >
          > the time in UTC is now being displayed in the waterfall.
          >
          > I had assumed that a figure for the time difference between
          >
          > local and UTC time had to be entered in the "Time added to UTC for
          > display" box.

          ---snipped much of Ed's results------ ------see his post for details---

          Some of those things sound like items that could be addressed in future
          "update" versions of Spectrum Lab. The programmers are probably watching
          and hopefully taking notes. Maybe there is a problem about resources
          going to the "two channel" mode. Meanwhile I am groping and fumbling my
          way into Spec Lab and finding it very useful, warts and all.

          73,

          Bill KU8H
        • Wolfgang Büscher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
            Am 28.06.2013 03:23, schrieb edgar:
            > The programmers are probably watching
            > and hopefully taking notes
            Yes, the programmer (singular) is watching, but since he's on a holiday
            trip he cannot give a qualified reply ;o)

            More in approximately a week.

            All the best,
            Wolf DL4YHF

            (sent via a lousy mobile internet connection from a lovely place in the
            middle of nowhere..)
          • Bill Cromwell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
              On 06/28/2013 12:43 PM, Wolfgang Büscher wrote:
              > Am 28.06.2013 03:23, schrieb edgar:
              >> The programmers are probably watching
              >> and hopefully taking notes
              > Yes, the programmer (singular) is watching, but since he's on a holiday
              > trip he cannot give a qualified reply ;o)
              >
              > More in approximately a week.
              >
              > All the best,
              > Wolf DL4YHF

              Enjoy your vacation.. er... holiday Wolf and we'll see you when you return.

              73,

              Bill KU8H
            • edgar
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
                Hi Bill and Wolf,

                The Spectrum Lab program is excellent.

                I am reporting what I find so that I can learn more about the software
                with the feed back received.

                Wolf has always been great in providing comment, help and software
                corrections when they are needed.

                Thank you, Wolf, enjoy your holiday.

                Regards, Edgar
                Moonah, Tasmania.