UTC time

  • edgar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi,

      I have a set-up with two channels displayed in the spectrum and watch plot.

      The time is displayed as UTC in the spectrum legend, and the watch plot.

      However the time elapsed time in the bottom of the spectrum is local time.

      How can the elapsed local time be displayed as UTC?

      Regards, Edgar
      Moonah, Tasmania.

    • Bill Cromwell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
        On 06/27/2013 05:35 AM, edgar wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a set-up with two channels displayed in the spectrum and watch
        > plot.
        >
        > The time is displayed as UTC in the spectrum legend, and the watch plot.
        >
        > However the time elapsed time in the bottom of the spectrum is local time.
        >
        > How can the elapsed local time be displayed as UTC?
        >
        > Regards, Edgar
        > Moonah, Tasmania.
        ---images snipped-----

        Hi Edgar,

        I see what looks like timestamps on the grid but elapsed time has
        nothing to do with time zones and nothing to do directly the time shown
        on any clock. Elapsed time is the difference in seconds, minutes, hours,
        days, weeks, months, etc from the start time to the present or ending time.

        Local time is the sun time at a given location and varies by the mile.
        Has nothing to do with your clock, your time zone, or Zulu time but may
        be determined by observing local noon when the sun is at it's highest
        point. May be be determined by shadows from the sun at their shortest or
        when a vertical pin's shadow points exactly north. See celestial
        navigation. Clocks only come into play to know how far east or west we
        are from a reference point. The standard reference point has been named
        the zero meridian and runs through London (a completely arbitrary but
        standard reference).

        Did you really mean to ask if the time stamps are given as the time in
        your time zone instead of in Zulu time (the zero meridian)? I'm still
        wading into Spectrum Lab but I started SpecLab and went to "Options ->
        System Settings -> Time Zone, Time Source, Timer Calibration". There I
        see a window with time of day advancing the display in my time zone.
        Mine has the defaults since I have done nothing to change it. The option
        "get time zone information from system" was ticked as the default. It
        says that is what will be used for the display. This is probably a good
        place for you to start. In that same pane is a place to adjust the
        displayed time from Zulu time. The default shown in mine is 0 (zero) and
        should be -4 since I am on EDT in the USA. That might be something to
        take care of there. In that same panel is my geographic coordinates,
        still at the default of the zero meridian at the Equator. That is NOT
        where I am. Some day I will enter the correct information. At the
        moment, matching timestamps have no relevance for my use of Spectrum
        Analyzer but if I start record keeping I can see that they will become
        important to me.

        Let us know if you find the solution to your mismatched time zone
        records there. Or maybe somebody else has the real answer. Hope this helps.

        73,

        Bill KU8H
      • edgar
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
          Hi Bill,

          Thank you for your reply.

          After further experimentation with changing the time zone settings

          the time in UTC is now being displayed in the waterfall.

          I had assumed that a figure for the time difference between

          local and UTC time had to be entered in the "Time added to UTC for display" box.

          The signal is a local non directional beacon USB and LSB signal.

          A couple of other observations.

          1. The time scale on the watch plot window does not match that on the waterfall screen.

          "Waterfall Scroll Interval" = 0.01 seconds.

          Plotter time base set to 0.01 sec/step

          Plotter display. More then one cycle of signal in a similar number of pixels of the waterfall display.

          2. The long term average is a only available for channel #1.

          3. When in the two channel display mode the cursor type is not always correct.

          It gets "stuck" on the one style for sometime.

          Regards, Edgar
          Moonah, Tasmania.

        • Bill Cromwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
            On 06/27/2013 09:23 PM, edgar wrote:
            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > Thank you for your reply.
            >
            > After further experimentation with changing the time zone settings
            >
            > the time in UTC is now being displayed in the waterfall.
            >
            > I had assumed that a figure for the time difference between
            >
            > local and UTC time had to be entered in the "Time added to UTC for
            > display" box.

            ---snipped much of Ed's results------ ------see his post for details---

            Some of those things sound like items that could be addressed in future
            "update" versions of Spectrum Lab. The programmers are probably watching
            and hopefully taking notes. Maybe there is a problem about resources
            going to the "two channel" mode. Meanwhile I am groping and fumbling my
            way into Spec Lab and finding it very useful, warts and all.

            73,

            Bill KU8H
          • Wolfgang Büscher
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
              Am 28.06.2013 03:23, schrieb edgar:
              > The programmers are probably watching
              > and hopefully taking notes
              Yes, the programmer (singular) is watching, but since he's on a holiday
              trip he cannot give a qualified reply ;o)

              More in approximately a week.

              All the best,
              Wolf DL4YHF

              (sent via a lousy mobile internet connection from a lovely place in the
              middle of nowhere..)
            • Bill Cromwell
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
                On 06/28/2013 12:43 PM, Wolfgang Büscher wrote:
                > Am 28.06.2013 03:23, schrieb edgar:
                >> The programmers are probably watching
                >> and hopefully taking notes
                > Yes, the programmer (singular) is watching, but since he's on a holiday
                > trip he cannot give a qualified reply ;o)
                >
                > More in approximately a week.
                >
                > All the best,
                > Wolf DL4YHF

                Enjoy your vacation.. er... holiday Wolf and we'll see you when you return.

                73,

                Bill KU8H
              • edgar
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
                  Hi Bill and Wolf,

                  The Spectrum Lab program is excellent.

                  I am reporting what I find so that I can learn more about the software
                  with the feed back received.

                  Wolf has always been great in providing comment, help and software
                  corrections when they are needed.

                  Thank you, Wolf, enjoy your holiday.

                  Regards, Edgar
                  Moonah, Tasmania.