Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] New guy looking - progress

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
      Am 19.06.2013 14:34, schrieb Bill Cromwell:
      > Hi,
      >
      > So I have been playing. I have a number of radios but the stars of the
      > show here are a Kenwood R-599, the receiver in the Kenwood Twins lineup
      > and a Ten Tec RX-325 that I am planning some "hot rod" mods. The R-599
      > has xtal BFOs, xtal heterodyne oscillators, and a free running L-C VFO
      > that is adequately stable. It also has a xtal calibrator with front
      > panel switch for either 100 kHz or 25 kHz markers. I have always set
      > these to zero beat with WWV the best I could in AM mode as recommended.
      > I am aware that human hearing response does NOT extend to zero Hertz and
      > the audio in our receivers rolls off at some low, non-zero frequency as
      > well.
      >
      > I examined the signal format from WWV and looked at it in AM mode as
      > well as in USB and LSB mode with the Kenwood. Sometimes there is
      > interference in the display...maybe from intermod products in the
      > receiver...but I was always able to identify the tones in AM mode and in
      > either sideband mode I was able to shift the carrier to 1 kHz on the
      > spectrum display and identify the tones. Then I turned on the calibrator
      > and found it to be almost 100 Hz off at 10 MHz! That is not a real
      > surprise. In the AM mode I cannot hear that and the pip is masked in the
      > junk that lives at zero on the display. By moving the control on the
      > calibrator I may be able to identify it in that mess and try to move it
      > zero. However, it looks like dialing the WWV carrier up to 1 kHz on the
      > spectrum display (for example) using SSB mode I should be able to adjust
      > the calibrator's pip directly on top of the incoming WWV carrier's pip
      > and end up with a much smaller error.

      Not a good idea, because in SSB mode, the audio from the receiver
      depends on the radio's VFO/BFO.
      That's why I mentioned AM (because even when the AM receiver is detuned,
      the audio frequency of a 1000.000 Hz signal will still be at 1000.000 Hz
      at the AF output).
      Not sure about WWV / WWVB but afaik they have very stable, calibrated
      audio tones similar to the 1000 Hz 'test tone' transmitted by TV
      stations before going QRT at night. Oh, those were the days.. long gone.

    • Bill Cromwell
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
        On 06/19/2013 01:28 PM, wolf_dl4yhf wrote:

        > Not a good idea, because in SSB mode, the audio from the receiver
        > depends on the radio's VFO/BFO.
        > That's why I mentioned AM (because even when the AM receiver is detuned,
        > the audio frequency of a 1000.000 Hz signal will still be at 1000.000 Hz
        > at the AF output).
        > Not sure about WWV / WWVB but afaik they have very stable, calibrated
        > audio tones similar to the 1000 Hz 'test tone' transmitted by TV
        > stations before going QRT at night. Oh, those were the days.. long gone.
        >
        > Cheers,

        WWV and WWVB are frequency standards. Yes, the carriers and the tones
        are all very accurate.

        When I use SSB (or CW) it moves the WWV carrier off the zero end of the
        spectrum display. It moves the calibrator (or other signal being
        measured the same amount. So with WWV at an arbitrary 800 HZ on the
        spectrum display the signal being examined - in this case my calbrator -
        should be on 800 Hz, too. It's entirely so true that if my VFO changes
        or my BFO changes or my heterodyne oscillator changes (yes, three
        oscillators - one signal) then WWV moves on the display too. But the
        device under test moves also the exact same amount. On the R-599 the
        drift was very small and slow but observable. It was not enough to be
        distracting. In fact, I opened the receiver and aligned my crystal
        calibrator to display exactly on top of WWV's carrier. The error is now
        less than on Hz. As I approached zero I could see the sidebands on the
        WWV carrier that were created by the Crytsal calibrator diminish to the
        point of small undulating bumps on the slopes of WWV's carrier and then
        finally - completely disappear. As I watched over several hours the
        bumps would return, undulate slowly on the slopes, and then again
        disappear. There is nothing I can to about that with the present gear
        but that is much better accuracy than is needed for day to day ham
        operation.

        I am pleased with the results. I fully intend to put the tools to work
        daily here because they are more than adequate. And now that I can
        actually see fine errors I will gradually make improvements to my gear
        as I am able. I know that people who are using WSPR and techniques to
        produce signals from vapor have to be concerned about those "miniscule"
        errors. But those are not a part of my day to day operating - yet. If I
        keep playing with the tools I am sure the improvements will come and
        when I can make WSPR actually work I will certainly turn it on.

        73,

        Bill KU8H
      • sm5le
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013