New guy looking - progress

  • Bill Cromwell
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
      Hi,

      So I have been playing. I have a number of radios but the stars of the
      show here are a Kenwood R-599, the receiver in the Kenwood Twins lineup
      and a Ten Tec RX-325 that I am planning some "hot rod" mods. The R-599
      has xtal BFOs, xtal heterodyne oscillators, and a free running L-C VFO
      that is adequately stable. It also has a xtal calibrator with front
      panel switch for either 100 kHz or 25 kHz markers. I have always set
      these to zero beat with WWV the best I could in AM mode as recommended.
      I am aware that human hearing response does NOT extend to zero Hertz and
      the audio in our receivers rolls off at some low, non-zero frequency as
      well.

      I examined the signal format from WWV and looked at it in AM mode as
      well as in USB and LSB mode with the Kenwood. Sometimes there is
      interference in the display...maybe from intermod products in the
      receiver...but I was always able to identify the tones in AM mode and in
      either sideband mode I was able to shift the carrier to 1 kHz on the
      spectrum display and identify the tones. Then I turned on the calibrator
      and found it to be almost 100 Hz off at 10 MHz! That is not a real
      surprise. In the AM mode I cannot hear that and the pip is masked in the
      junk that lives at zero on the display. By moving the control on the
      calibrator I may be able to identify it in that mess and try to move it
      zero. However, it looks like dialing the WWV carrier up to 1 kHz on the
      spectrum display (for example) using SSB mode I should be able to adjust
      the calibrator's pip directly on top of the incoming WWV carrier's pip
      and end up with a much smaller error. I am planning to turn the R-599
      over this evening and make the adjustment. And after that I will couple
      my frequency counter clock into the R-599 and set THAT the same way.
      When I get into the RX-325 I will set it's 10 MHz reference the same
      way. The computer, both radios, and the counter run 24/7 except when
      thunderstorms come into the area so warmup drift is eliminated. I'll let
      the calibrator run for a while, too. Hopefully there won't be any
      surprises from that.

      Did I overlook anything?

      73,

      Bill KU8H
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
        Hi Sven,

        During all tests, the external soundcard was always better - MUCH better - last not least because its temperature-dependent oscillator drift was alway very predictable (decay function). All of the internal devices suffer from rapid temperature changes when the PC's internal fan goes on/off. Unless you have a fan-less PC, or a netbook which hardly ever turns on one of the internal fans (but when doing number crunching they usually have to turn on the fan sooner or later, even a netbook with an Atom CPU was no exception).

        Am 18.06.2013 16:39, schrieb Werner Karn:

        Sven,

        from my experience, that will depend on where you can best control temperature stability.

        BR

        Werner

        2013/6/18 sm5le <sm5le@...>

        Hello Wolf
        Is it better to use internal soundcard "SoundMAX Digital Audio" insted of external "E-MU 0202" for best freq. accuracies and drift ?
        tnx /Sven

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
          Am 19.06.2013 14:34, schrieb Bill Cromwell:
          > Hi,
          >
          > So I have been playing. I have a number of radios but the stars of the
          > show here are a Kenwood R-599, the receiver in the Kenwood Twins lineup
          > and a Ten Tec RX-325 that I am planning some "hot rod" mods. The R-599
          > has xtal BFOs, xtal heterodyne oscillators, and a free running L-C VFO
          > that is adequately stable. It also has a xtal calibrator with front
          > panel switch for either 100 kHz or 25 kHz markers. I have always set
          > these to zero beat with WWV the best I could in AM mode as recommended.
          > I am aware that human hearing response does NOT extend to zero Hertz and
          > the audio in our receivers rolls off at some low, non-zero frequency as
          > well.
          >
          > I examined the signal format from WWV and looked at it in AM mode as
          > well as in USB and LSB mode with the Kenwood. Sometimes there is
          > interference in the display...maybe from intermod products in the
          > receiver...but I was always able to identify the tones in AM mode and in
          > either sideband mode I was able to shift the carrier to 1 kHz on the
          > spectrum display and identify the tones. Then I turned on the calibrator
          > and found it to be almost 100 Hz off at 10 MHz! That is not a real
          > surprise. In the AM mode I cannot hear that and the pip is masked in the
          > junk that lives at zero on the display. By moving the control on the
          > calibrator I may be able to identify it in that mess and try to move it
          > zero. However, it looks like dialing the WWV carrier up to 1 kHz on the
          > spectrum display (for example) using SSB mode I should be able to adjust
          > the calibrator's pip directly on top of the incoming WWV carrier's pip
          > and end up with a much smaller error.

          Not a good idea, because in SSB mode, the audio from the receiver
          depends on the radio's VFO/BFO.
          That's why I mentioned AM (because even when the AM receiver is detuned,
          the audio frequency of a 1000.000 Hz signal will still be at 1000.000 Hz
          at the AF output).
          Not sure about WWV / WWVB but afaik they have very stable, calibrated
          audio tones similar to the 1000 Hz 'test tone' transmitted by TV
          stations before going QRT at night. Oh, those were the days.. long gone.

        • Bill Cromwell
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
            On 06/19/2013 01:28 PM, wolf_dl4yhf wrote:

            > Not a good idea, because in SSB mode, the audio from the receiver
            > depends on the radio's VFO/BFO.
            > That's why I mentioned AM (because even when the AM receiver is detuned,
            > the audio frequency of a 1000.000 Hz signal will still be at 1000.000 Hz
            > at the AF output).
            > Not sure about WWV / WWVB but afaik they have very stable, calibrated
            > audio tones similar to the 1000 Hz 'test tone' transmitted by TV
            > stations before going QRT at night. Oh, those were the days.. long gone.
            >
            > Cheers,

            WWV and WWVB are frequency standards. Yes, the carriers and the tones
            are all very accurate.

            When I use SSB (or CW) it moves the WWV carrier off the zero end of the
            spectrum display. It moves the calibrator (or other signal being
            measured the same amount. So with WWV at an arbitrary 800 HZ on the
            spectrum display the signal being examined - in this case my calbrator -
            should be on 800 Hz, too. It's entirely so true that if my VFO changes
            or my BFO changes or my heterodyne oscillator changes (yes, three
            oscillators - one signal) then WWV moves on the display too. But the
            device under test moves also the exact same amount. On the R-599 the
            drift was very small and slow but observable. It was not enough to be
            distracting. In fact, I opened the receiver and aligned my crystal
            calibrator to display exactly on top of WWV's carrier. The error is now
            less than on Hz. As I approached zero I could see the sidebands on the
            WWV carrier that were created by the Crytsal calibrator diminish to the
            point of small undulating bumps on the slopes of WWV's carrier and then
            finally - completely disappear. As I watched over several hours the
            bumps would return, undulate slowly on the slopes, and then again
            disappear. There is nothing I can to about that with the present gear
            but that is much better accuracy than is needed for day to day ham
            operation.

            I am pleased with the results. I fully intend to put the tools to work
            daily here because they are more than adequate. And now that I can
            actually see fine errors I will gradually make improvements to my gear
            as I am able. I know that people who are using WSPR and techniques to
            produce signals from vapor have to be concerned about those "miniscule"
            errors. But those are not a part of my day to day operating - yet. If I
            keep playing with the tools I am sure the improvements will come and
            when I can make WSPR actually work I will certainly turn it on.

            73,

            Bill KU8H
          • sm5le
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013