Re: New 'beta' with the possibility to read the spectrum buffer (FFTs) via web server / JSON

  • dl4yhf
    Message 1 of 19 , May 22, 2013
      Hi Darius,

      Thanks for the feedback.

      I just tested the FFT-export via webserver from one of my office PCs, and found the periodic update of the graph doesn't always work.
      Surprisingly, the javascript seems to 'get faster' the longer it works. This was with a windows XP, 32-bit, machine running Firefox.

      At home, the periodic update worked flawlessly even at 0.1 second refresh intervals. Strange... needs more investigation.

      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

      > Wolf,
      >
      > My congratulations on your success.
      > FFT via web server works fine.
      > darius

    • dariusjack2006
      Message 2 of 19 , May 24, 2013
        I run Firefox and Win XP either on PC and laptop
        and Firefox keeps processor 100% busy processing Javascript
        from time to time, forcing me to kill the process.

        Longer Javascript generates me alert > Continue script or Close

        Just tested Android 4.2 in Galaxy S4 since plan to write basic
        Android app. Hope FFT-export can work on Android.

        darius

        Message 3 of 19 , May 25, 2013
          Hi Darius,

          I suspect the javascript function plotter consumes a lot of CPU time. Just comment out its invocation in the sample page.
          Also, the JSON data are requested from a timer in javascript, regardless if the response from the previous interval has already been processed or not. It may help to modify that piece of javascript, too.

          Am 24.05.2013 15:56, schrieb dariusjack2006:

          I run Firefox and Win XP either on PC and laptop
          and Firefox keeps processor 100% busy processing Javascript
          from time to time, forcing me to kill the process.

          Longer Javascript generates me alert > Continue script or Close

          Just tested Android 4.2 in Galaxy S4 since plan to write basic
          Android app. Hope FFT-export can work on Android.

          darius

          --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dl4yhf" <dl4yhf@...> wrote:

          > Hi Darius,
          >
          > Thanks for the feedback.
          >
          > I just tested the FFT-export via webserver from one of my office PCs, and found the periodic update of the graph doesn't always work.
          > Surprisingly, the javascript seems to 'get faster' the longer it works. This was with a windows XP, 32-bit, machine running Firefox.
          >
          > At home, the periodic update worked flawlessly even at 0.1 second refresh intervals. Strange... needs more investigation.

          > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Wolf,
          > >
          > > My congratulations on your success.
          > > FFT via web server works fine.
          > > darius

        • dl4yhf
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
            Hi Darius,

            After playing around with the Javascrip (or should I say 'fooling around'), I found that the actual processor hog is the JSXGraph which is used to plot the graph.

            I have compiled a new version (including a modified HTML test page for the JSON-based export) in which updating of the graph can be turned on/off. The transfer itself, and parsing of the JSON response only takes a few milliseconds. But plotting a spectrum from a 16384-point-FFT took several seconds.

            Do we have experienced Javascript developers here - any suggestion how to plot a curve from array data in a fast, portable, and reliable way (which works on all major browsers) ?

            The new version (V2.79 b02) is at

            http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip

            There is no 'beta' at the moment. One or two other bugs which have been reported via PM have also been fixed in this version.

            BR,
            Wolf .

            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

            > I run Firefox and Win XP either on PC and laptop
            > and Firefox keeps processor 100% busy processing Javascript
            > from time to time, forcing me to kill the process.
            >
            > Longer Javascript generates me alert > Continue script or Close
            >
            > Just tested Android 4.2 in Galaxy S4 since plan to write basic
            > Android app. Hope FFT-export can work on Android.
            >
            > darius
            >
            > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dl4yhf" <dl4yhf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Darius,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the feedback.
            > >
            > > I just tested the FFT-export via webserver from one of my office PCs, and found the periodic update of the graph doesn't always work.
            > > Surprisingly, the javascript seems to 'get faster' the longer it works. This was with a windows XP, 32-bit, machine running Firefox.
            > >
            > > At home, the periodic update worked flawlessly even at 0.1 second refresh intervals. Strange... needs more investigation.
            > >
            > > All the best,
            > > Wolf .
            > >

            > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Wolf,
            > > >
            > > > My congratulations on your success.
            > > > FFT via web server works fine.
            > > > darius

          • Jurgen Bartels
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
              > Do we have experienced Javascript developers here - any suggestion how to plot
              > a curve from array data in a fast, portable, and reliable way (which works on
              > all major browsers) ?

              Most browsers now support an image format consisting of vector coordinates, I
              forgot what name it has. Many years I considered that, to have zoomable plots,
              but back then, browser had problems with that.

              Maybe that's an option here?

              Jurgen
            • dariusjack2006
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2013

                Thanks for your efforts.
                I have embedded gnuplot into webpage to get some impression of 2D 3D plots.

                Now test Android plugins for charts, graphical objects.
                Web browser is generally slow processing on-the-fly generated charts but kids can play 3D games on-line, run within Chrome web browser.

                I get used to Firefox but it looks like Chrome is our only choice for live graphics in html.

                Ok, we can start building Spectrum Lab based Lightning Radar web app.

                darius

                --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dl4yhf" <dl4yhf@...> wrote:

                > Hi Darius,
                >
                > After playing around with the Javascrip (or should I say 'fooling around'), I found that the actual processor hog is the JSXGraph which is used to plot the graph.
                >
                > I have compiled a new version (including a modified HTML test page for the JSON-based export) in which updating of the graph can be turned on/off. The transfer itself, and parsing of the JSON response only takes a few milliseconds. But plotting a spectrum from a 16384-point-FFT took several seconds.
                >
                > Do we have experienced Javascript developers here - any suggestion how to plot a curve from array data in a fast, portable, and reliable way (which works on all major browsers) ?
                >
                > The new version (V2.79 b02) is at
                >
                > http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip
                >
                > There is no 'beta' at the moment. One or two other bugs which have been reported via PM have also been fixed in this version.
                >

                > BR,
                > Wolf .
                >

                > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I run Firefox and Win XP either on PC and laptop
                > > and Firefox keeps processor 100% busy processing Javascript
                > > from time to time, forcing me to kill the process.
                > >
                > > Longer Javascript generates me alert > Continue script or Close
                > >
                > > Just tested Android 4.2 in Galaxy S4 since plan to write basic
                > > Android app. Hope FFT-export can work on Android.
                > >
                > > darius
                > >
                > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dl4yhf" <dl4yhf@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Darius,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the feedback.
                > > >
                > > > I just tested the FFT-export via webserver from one of my office PCs, and found the periodic update of the graph doesn't always work.
                > > > Surprisingly, the javascript seems to 'get faster' the longer it works. This was with a windows XP, 32-bit, machine running Firefox.
                > > >
                > > > At home, the periodic update worked flawlessly even at 0.1 second refresh intervals. Strange... needs more investigation.
                > > >
                > > > All the best,
                > > > Wolf .

              • kd7ts
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 3, 2013
                  On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:47:17 -0700, dariusjack2006
                  <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

                  Just a mention on browser availability, not necessarily suitability.

                  Search for SRWare Iron. I use it to check html I write, to see how it
                  displays. Whether or not it will work for your application is beyond my
                  experience.

                  There is a WIKI entry where you can get an overview.

                  Mike KD7TS

                  PS, it's OK with me if you don't quote the whole thread in your replies.
                • Mark McCarron
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2013

                    Have a look at CANGO.

                    http://arc.id.au/CanvasGraphics.html

                    Regards,

                    Mark McCarron

                    To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2013
                      thanks Mark,

                      really great app.
                      Commercial or free , open source ?

                      Demo knob draw works fast
                      http://arc.id.au/CanvasGraphics.html

                      http://arc.id.au/Canvas3DGraphics.html

                      Does it work for Android on Galaxy S4 ?

                      More HTML5 and Javascript based charts
                      http://canvasjs.com/

                      http://www.rgraph.net/examples/radar.html

                      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron@...> wrote:

                      > Wolf,
                      >
                      > Have a look at CANGO.
                      >
                      > http://arc.id.au/CanvasGraphics.html
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Mark McCarron
                      >
                      > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: dl4yhf@...
                      > Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:34:37 +0000
                      > Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: New 'beta' with the possibility to read the spectrum buffer (FFTs) via web server / JSON

                      > Hi Darius,
                      >

                      > After playing around with the Javascrip (or should I say 'fooling around'), I found that the actual processor hog is the JSXGraph which is used to plot the graph.
                      >

                      > I have compiled a new version (including a modified HTML test page for the JSON-based export) in which updating of the graph can be turned on/off. The transfer itself, and parsing of the JSON response only takes a few milliseconds. But plotting a spectrum from a 16384-point-FFT took several seconds.
                      >

                      > Do we have experienced Javascript developers here - any suggestion how to plot a curve from array data in a fast, portable, and reliable way (which works on all major browsers) ?
                      >

                      > The new version (V2.79 b02) is at
                      >

                      > http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip
                      >

                      > There is no 'beta' at the moment. One or two other bugs which have been reported via PM have also been fixed in this version.
                      >

                      > BR,
                      >
                      > Wolf .

                    • Mark McCarron
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2013
                        The license is at the top of the javascript file.  It just states that it has been released into the public domain.  That means it can be used for any purpose whatsoever without charge.

                        It should work on android, but it depends on the browser.  Try it out using Chrome or Firefox.  I know that their HTML5 support is not yet complete, but it seems to be good enough.

                        Regards,

                        Mark McCarron

                        To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: dariusjack2006@...
                        Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:03:19 +0000

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2013
                          Most likely the SVG format... but I was thinking about the 'canvas' object in HTML5, which seems fairly simple to use.
                          At least in Firefox and Iron, the 'canvas' demos found on various pages work like a charm (some of them are really amazing, but their javascript is extremely obfuscated - no line breaks, no indentations, very ugly. Wonder why and how anybody can write such ugly code).

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2013
                            Thanks Mark,

                            Cango looks nice, but I have not done any speed test yet (to plot data
                            from a huge array).

                            Being an old 'C' buff, I like the way the sourcecode in Cango2v35.js is
                            commented and formatted - with curly braces properly aligned, which is
                            rarely seen these days.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2013
                            • 1 KB
                            I tried Cango and the attached simple test script.

                            It fills an array with a 32768-point array which is then plotted using Cango's drawPath function.

                            Takes 200 to 300 millisecond per plot on a rather old Centrino Duo notebook, running SRWare Iron.

                            Guess I will try something else, maybe reduce the number of data points before plotting 'large' FFTs...

                            To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: dariusjack2006@...
                            Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:03:19 +0000

                            thanks Mark,

                            really great app.
                            Commercial or free , open source ?

                            Demo knob draw works fast
                            http://arc.id.au/CanvasGraphics.html

                            http://arc.id.au/Canvas3DGraphics.html

                            Does it work for Android on Galaxy S4 ?

                            More HTML5 and Javascript based charts
                            http://canvasjs.com/

                            http://www.rgraph.net/examples/radar.html

                            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron@...> wrote:

                            > Wolf,
                            >
                            > Have a look at CANGO.
                            >
                            > http://arc.id.au/CanvasGraphics.html
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Mark McCarron
                            >
                            > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: dl4yhf@...
                            > Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:34:37 +0000
                            > Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: New 'beta' with the possibility to read the spectrum buffer (FFTs) via web server / JSON

                            > Hi Darius,
                            >

                            > After playing around with the Javascrip (or should I say 'fooling around'), I found that the actual processor hog is the JSXGraph which is used to plot the graph.
                            >

                            > I have compiled a new version (including a modified HTML test page for the JSON-based export) in which updating of the graph can be turned on/off. The transfer itself, and parsing of the JSON response only takes a few milliseconds. But plotting a spectrum from a 16384-point-FFT took several seconds.
                            >

                            > Do we have experienced Javascript developers here - any suggestion how to plot a curve from array data in a fast, portable, and reliable way (which works on all major browsers) ?
                            >

                            > The new version (V2.79 b02) is at
                            >

                            > http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip
                            >

                            > There is no 'beta' at the moment. One or two other bugs which have been reported via PM have also been fixed in this version.
                            >

                            > BR,
                            >
                            > Wolf .

                          • Mark McCarron
                            Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2013
                              Just tested that on a relatively new i3 laptop.

                              Chrome: 160-200ms
                              Firefox: 950-990ms

                              As for alternatives, try these:

                              http://raphaeljs.com/
                              http://mbostock.github.io/protovis/ex/
                              http://code.google.com/p/jsviz/

                              Regards,

                              Mark McCarron

                              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: dl4yhf@...
                              Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 23:42:24 +0200
                              Subject: Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: New 'beta' with the possibility to read the spectrum buffer (FFTs) via web server / JSON [1 Attachment]

                              [Attachment(s) from wolf_dl4yhf included below]

                              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: dariusjack2006@...
                              Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:03:19 +0000