RE: [SpectrumLabUsers] Fading. Trying for brevity, ending in confusion

  • Mark McCarron
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10, 2013
      Well, that's a better explanation.  I take it that this is a SETI project and you are looking for pulsed laser signals.  I've just got the USRP B100 and I will be using it for SETI work also.  Even on a cheap antenna without any parabolic dish, picking up satellites is quite easy.  The problem is that I need a very big dish and to be honest, the entire antenna and analogue stage would need to be cryogenically frozen.  But beggars cannot be choosers.

      I suppose you are in the same boat as the atmosphere will disperse any optical signal.  The odds of a detection are...well...astronomical when all factors are considered.  That said, the odds are worse if no one is looking.

      From your description, it would appear that your box is converting the detection to a voltage that you are passing to your sound card.  The sound card is acting as a poor man's ADC.  In terms of the electronics inside a sound card, the signals are modified in terms of audio DSP, not just raw samples.  Different cards, will do different things to the that input to improve richness, fidelity, etc.  This will skew your results somewhat and lead to minor artifacts.

      Then, the point I was making about your power supply is that it will not be perfect.  There will be a margin or error in the stability of its output and all circuits have different inductances and capacitances which lead to anomalies and weird spike/brownouts in rapid switching.

      Then the LEDs themselves are not perfect and will not provide consistent output.

      Every element in the entire chain of devices has specific tolerances that, when combined, will add up to a range of error in the dB output and detection.  I think what you were hoping for was a single major factor that would be the major source of error and it is difficult to define given the lack of experimental data.

      My best advice maybe to filter the mains, upgrade the power supply and switch to a professional ADC.  That may stabilize the dB somewhat, but expecting a certain tolerance in that is just the way it goes.

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron