Re: SL on Raspberry Pi?

  • SIMON
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 11:18 AM
      I originally bought my RPi thinking I could use Wine but then realised that that wouldn't work. Wouldn't you hit the same problem? Installing win98 built for x86 isn't going to run on ARM.

      I'm not talking from much experience but wouldn't compiling SL from a RPi make it natively support ARM - I'm guessing any libs that SL uses would also need to be compiled for ARM as well. But as this is beyond my ability I've decided to wait and see what happens, there was a suggestion that WINE would make a version for ARM now that Microsoft are in bed with them with WIN8 on tablets.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 12:53 PM
        Utterly impossible, because SL is written in Borland C++ Builder (using Borlands VCL) - no chance to produce ARM code with it.
        The ARM target would have to emulate x86 instructions.
        Maybe one fine day someone develops a converter to turn 'forms' (designed with Borland / VCL) into a true cross-platform like QT, but QT's star already seems to decline, which is one of the reasons why I didn't pursue this myself.

        Am 30.04.2013 20:18, schrieb SIMON:

        I originally bought my RPi thinking I could use Wine but then realised that that wouldn't work. Wouldn't you hit the same problem? Installing win98 built for x86 isn't going to run on ARM.

        I'm not talking from much experience but wouldn't compiling SL from a RPi make it natively support ARM - I'm guessing any libs that SL uses would also need to be compiled for ARM as well. But as this is beyond my ability I've decided to wait and see what happens, there was a suggestion that WINE would make a version for ARM now that Microsoft are in bed with them with WIN8 on tablets.

        --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

        > I know there is no way to port it directly.
        > How about installing DosBox, then Windows 98 on top, then SL in it?
        > Anybody tried such contraption yet?
        >
        > 73, Mike

      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30 2:38 PM

          > Utterly impossible, because SL is written in Borland C++ Builder (using
          > Borlands VCL) - no chance to produce ARM code with it.
          > The ARM target would have to emulate x86 instructions.

          This is why I mentioned DosBox. It would serve as the x86 emulation layer. Another x86 emulation alternative I know about is QEMU.
          I realize the performance will be poor, but it may be ok for some applications.

          73, Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30 11:39 PM
            Am 30.04.2013 23:38, schrieb vbifyz:

            > Utterly impossible, because SL is written in Borland C++ Builder (using
            > Borlands VCL) - no chance to produce ARM code with it.
            > The ARM target would have to emulate x86 instructions.

            This is why I mentioned DosBox. It would serve as the x86 emulation layer. Another x86 emulation alternative I know about is QEMU.
            I realize the performance will be poor, but it may be ok for some applications.

            Ok yes, a CPU emulator would be ok for less CPU-intense applications, but not for mainly number-crunching software like SL.
            Also the target CPU definitely needs a floating point unit (in hardware, not emulated) which adds to the complexity.
            Re-writing the DSP stuff from floating point to integer just to run it on a small ARM would be overkill. There are some nice optimized fixed-point (integer) FFT algorithms which look pretty neat, but all the rest (GPS-timestamp-based processing, filters implemented in the time domain, etc) calls for a CPU with a bit more 'kick'. For my applications, the BeagleBone would be the first choice for an embedded system running some of the DSP functions, for example as a 'remote frontend'. But I wouldn't even call that a 'future plan' right now, due to the ever present lack of time.