Re: applying ( Spectrum Lab web server Fftlog1.txt data processing php JS

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 9:03 AM
      No, my Perl script runs standalone and issues HTTP GET commands directly to SL (which acts as an HTTP server, again without any other software involved). No browser is involved at all. The goal was to avoid any unnecessary overhead.
      I don't know of a way to make Perl code to run inside a browser, if this is what you are asking.

      73, Mike

      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache web server or Firefox perl plugin?
      >
      > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
      > what is your suggested configuration
      >
      > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL built-in web server?
      >
      > darius
    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30 9:51 AM
        > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache
        > web server or Firefox perl plugin?
        >
        > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
        > what is your suggested configuration
        >
        > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL
        > built-in web server?

        Why not create a perl cgi that accesses SL from there. You even call SL
        interpreter commands that gives you all flexibility without the client-browser
        seeing all those little secrets

        Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
        Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
        MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
      • SIMON
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30 11:04 AM
          --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "SIMON" <simon.dawes@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
          >
          > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
          > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…
          >
          > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
          >
          > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.
          >
          > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.
          >
          > Any ideas how this could be achieved?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Simon.

          Hi I think my post was mis-understood.

          I am using a conditional actions script to monitor and detect meteors, this works really well with one exception, I have a very narrow (1-2Hz) signal right in the middle of the band that I want to monitor for meteors, I would like to apply a band reject filter to remove the unwanted signal so I can continue to use the existing script.
          e.g.
          lets say I am monitoring from 1000Hz - 4000Hz and the unwanted signal is at 2500-2502Hz, I want to apply a band reject filter let's call this function reject(2500,2502) and then check for the peak amplitude but ignoring the 2500-2502Hz using A=peak_a(1000,4000).

          I was thinking that SL could apply a band reject filter - I saw this in the component window - but I don't know how to do this and I was thinking also that SL could control the frequency the band reject filter worked over using conditional actions or using a variable calculated from conditional actions (the actual frequency varies with temperature - receiver is not that stable - so I would need to be able to configure it on the fly)

          I hope that makes some sense!
          Thanks,
          Simon.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30 11:52 PM
            Greetings all,

            Javascript / JSON experts out there ?

            How would you format the data for a *complex* FFT, i.e. two components
            per frequency bin, in a JSON response with the minimum possible
            overhead, when its impossible to have different data type *definitions*
            and the data itself ? (this is one of the things I always missed in
            Javascript... I first want to *declare* a data type (struct in "C" or
            record in Pascal) before using it, but in j.s. / JSON they embed the
            names of the struct (or array) members in the response with the data
            themselves.
            Which is very very unfortunate if you have an array of say 524288
            complex frequency bins, and have to put the NAMES of each component in
            each frequency bin because you cannot declare data types in advance ?
            For example, in "C" (not C++) one would first declare a complex number
            as a struct like this

            typedef struct
            { float re;
            float im;
            } T_Complex;

            and then use it in an array of complex numbers like this:

            T_Complex fft[524288] = { {0.1, 0.2}, {0.1, 0.3}, {0.1, 0.4}, ..... };

            ( the receiver of such a line would of course need to know what
            T_Complex is; since it's unnecessary to pass that in the server response)

            How to form such two-dimensional arrays in JSON, without having to put
            the name of each component in each array element (which would be an
            awful waste of memory / network bandwidth) ?

            Or drop JSON (to read FFTs from SL via its HTTP server) and use a simple
            but flexible, self-defined format instead, which can be parsed in any
            programming language ?

          • Mark McCarron
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2013

              You can use an JSON Array.

              http://www.w3resource.com/JSON/structures.php

              The format is [Value1, Value2, Value3...etc], or in your case [I,Q,I,Q...etc].  No need for key/value pairs.

              It is also possible to read it as a stream:

              http://stackoverflow.com/questions/444380/is-there-a-streaming-api-for-json

              Regards,

              Mark McCarron

              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2013
                Wolf, Mark,

                a nice graphical interface to JSON structures

                http://www.json.org/

                To implement interactivity, syntax and JSON structures should be generated on-the-fly by http request.

                Header comes first for parsing of data structures in JSON stream.
                Support for time-stamp could let us build network of meteor watching
                stations and have central station processing live data streams on-the-fly, generating graphics.

                Fftlog1.txt is made of header line + data, header line + data loop.
                Updated time stamp can come with header.

                --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron@...> wrote:

                > Wolf,
                >
                > You can use an JSON Array.
                >
                > http://www.w3resource.com/JSON/structures.php
                >
                > The format is [Value1, Value2, Value3...etc], or in your case [I,Q,I,Q...etc]. No need for key/value pairs.
                >
                > It is also possible to read it as a stream:
                >
                > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/444380/is-there-a-streaming-api-for-json
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Mark McCarron
                >
                > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                > From: dl4yhf@...
                > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 08:52:09 +0200
                > Subject: Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: applying ( Spectrum Lab web server Fftlog1.txt data processing php JS

                > Greetings all,
                >

                > Javascript / JSON experts out there ?
                >

                > How would you format the data for a *complex* FFT, i.e. two components
                >
                > per frequency bin, in a JSON response with the minimum possible
                >
                > overhead, when its impossible to have different data type *definitions*
                >
                > and the data itself ? (this is one of the things I always missed in
                >
                > Javascript... I first want to *declare* a data type (struct in "C" or
                >
                > record in Pascal) before using it, but in j.s. / JSON they embed the
                >
                > names of the struct (or array) members in the response with the data
                >
                > themselves.
                >
                > Which is very very unfortunate if you have an array of say 524288
                >
                > complex frequency bins, and have to put the NAMES of each component in
                >
                > each frequency bin because you cannot declare data types in advance ?
                >
                > For example, in "C" (not C++) one would first declare a complex number
                >
                > as a struct like this
                >

                > typedef struct
                >
                > { float re;
                >
                > float im;
                >
                > } T_Complex;
                >

                > and then use it in an array of complex numbers like this:
                >

                > T_Complex fft[524288] = { {0.1, 0.2}, {0.1, 0.3}, {0.1, 0.4}, ..... };
                >

                > ( the receiver of such a line would of course need to know what
                >
                > T_Complex is; since it's unnecessary to pass that in the server response)
                >

                > How to form such two-dimensional arrays in JSON, without having to put
                >
                > the name of each component in each array element (which would be an
                >
                > awful waste of memory / network bandwidth) ?
                >

                > Or drop JSON (to read FFTs from SL via its HTTP server) and use a simple
                >
                > but flexible, self-defined format instead, which can be parsed in any
                >
                > programming language ?

              • dariusjack2006
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                  Thanks Mike,

                  I run SL under XP Windows, no Perl installed.
                  SL exactly comes with built in http server.

                  Ok, I can install Perl for Windows.
                  http://www.perl.org/get.html

                  Windows does not have Perl installed by default.

                  "
                  Binaries

                  Download ActivePerl
                  ActiveState Perlexternal link has binary distributions of Perl for Win32 (and Perl for Win64).

                  Download Strawberry Perl
                  Strawberry Perlexternal link: A 100% Open Source Perl for Windows that is exactly the same as Perl everywhere else; this includes using modules from CPAN, without the need for binary packages. Help is available from other Windows Perl developers on the #win32 irc channel on irc.perl.org (see websiteexternal link for access through a browser).

                  Download DWIM Perl
                  DWIM Perl for Windowsexternal link: A 100% Open Source Perl for Windows, based on Strawberry Perl. It aims to include as many useful CPAN modules as possible. It even comes with Padre, the Perl IDEexternal link.
                  "
                  To have perl run server-side , http server should be configured.
                  What is a configuration file and how to configure it to read and run perl script ?

                  Could you attach your configuration tips and working web page, run on the same computer?
                  My web browser is Firefox 20.0.

                  darius

                  SL supports web audio streams in/out
                  http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/webstreams.htm

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                  > No, my Perl script runs standalone and issues HTTP GET commands directly to SL (which acts as an HTTP server, again without any other software involved). No browser is involved at all. The goal was to avoid any unnecessary overhead.
                  > I don't know of a way to make Perl code to run inside a browser, if this is what you are asking.
                  >
                  > 73, Mike
                  >
                  > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Mike,
                  > >
                  > > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache web server or Firefox perl plugin?
                  > >
                  > > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
                  > > what is your suggested configuration
                  > >
                  > > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL built-in web server?
                  > >
                  > > darius

                • dariusjack2006
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 16, 2013
                    Hi Mark,
                    Hi Wolf,

                    Is this thread closed, no chance to build on-line network of Spectrum lab based stations ?

                    darius

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 16, 2013
                      Reading FFT data via web browser is still in the pipe.
                      But there are too many other things to do at the moment, with a higher priority.
                      Cannot comment on Perl since I have absolutely no experience with it.