applying

  • SIMON
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hi,

      I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).

      Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
      I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…

      unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)

      And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.

      I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.

      Any ideas how this could be achieved?

      Thanks,
      Simon.
    • dariusjack2006
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi Simon,

        I exactly try to do the same job to have SL output data live processed by third party application, script .

        It looks like web server functionality should work for us one day,
        replacing screen capture image update by saved Fftlog1.txt data file
        update every 1-5 sec.

        and using Apache server, PHP, my SQL, Javascript to process
        data.

        In theory data can be extracted from flat 2D image but
        interested in such live data processing configuration:

        SL > web server > Apache server + PHP + Javascript > live data processing > gnuplot or WebGl, OpenGl generated images, animation ..

        Can we ask Wolf for example of such configuration ?

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
          Hi Darius,

          Since my main occupation is developing microcontroller software for embedded systems, I don't know much about the possibilities of PHP, my SQL etc (and I must admit I don't like Javascript..) so the main question for me is this:

          What would the preferred file format for the processed output (FFT) be ?
          - one FFT per file would be fine for long FFTs and slow output rates
          - multiple FFTs per file : more complexity but possibly more suited for demanding applications

          What about the file formats itself ? I have been playing with JSON for an embedded web server recently but haven't made up my mind if this is really a suitable exchange format for large blocks of data, which require a large throughput.
          For example, converting a floating point number into plain text on one side, just to parse it into floating point number on the other side creates a large CPU overhead (even though it simplifies debugging).
          Can PHP, Javascript etc process 'binary' files, i.e. files in which the floating point values (FFT bins) are in the CPU's natural 32- or 64-bit format ?

          Well, something to think about.

          Am 29.04.2013 16:57, schrieb dariusjack2006:

          Hi Simon,

          I exactly try to do the same job to have SL output data live processed by third party application, script .

          It looks like web server functionality should work for us one day,
          replacing screen capture image update by saved Fftlog1.txt data file
          update every 1-5 sec.

          and using Apache server, PHP, my SQL, Javascript to process
          data.

          In theory data can be extracted from flat 2D image but
          interested in such live data processing configuration:

          SL > web server > Apache server + PHP + Javascript > live data processing > gnuplot or WebGl, OpenGl generated images, animation ..

          Can we ask Wolf for example of such configuration ?

          --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "SIMON" <simon.dawes@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
          >
          > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
          > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…
          >
          > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
          >
          > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.
          >
          > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.
          >
          > Any ideas how this could be achieved?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Simon.

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
            I don't understand why is Apache server in the chain?
            The built-in HTTP server works ok in the latest betas of SL. Its output can be requested and parsed by a Python or Perl script. I posted an example Perl code a while ago:
            This should work for images, too.

            What I would like to see is an interpreter function that returns an array of FFT bins in specified range. I have an I/Q receiver that covers 3 TV carrier frequencies at once (77.240,77.250 and 77.260MHz) when sample rate is 48kHz. I don't want to store the full 48kHz band, or even to pass it for further processing. For meteor monitoring, I am interested in 3 narrow strips of this band. Currently, I can only save one such strip with the FFT export function, but can not serve it over HTTP. Either extending the FFT export to multiple subbands, or an interpreter function to select the subband would work for me.

            73, Mike VE3YXA

            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

            > Hi Simon,
            >
            > I exactly try to do the same job to have SL output data live processed by third party application, script .
            >
            > It looks like web server functionality should work for us one day,
            > replacing screen capture image update by saved Fftlog1.txt data file
            > update every 1-5 sec.
            >
            > and using Apache server, PHP, my SQL, Javascript to process
            > data.
            >
            > In theory data can be extracted from flat 2D image but
            > interested in such live data processing configuration:
            >
            > SL > web server > Apache server + PHP + Javascript > live data processing > gnuplot or WebGl, OpenGl generated images, animation ..
            >
            > Can we ask Wolf for example of such configuration ?
            >

            > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "SIMON" <simon.dawes@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
            > >
            > > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
            > > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…
            > >
            > > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
            > >
            > > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.
            > >
            > > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.
            > >
            > > Any ideas how this could be achieved?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Simon.

          • dariusjack2006
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
              Mike,

              do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache web server or Firefox perl plugin?

              I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
              what is your suggested configuration

              Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL built-in web server?

              darius

              --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

              > I don't understand why is Apache server in the chain?
              > The built-in HTTP server works ok in the latest betas of SL. Its output can be requested and parsed by a Python or Perl script. I posted an example Perl code a while ago:
              > This should work for images, too.
              >
              > What I would like to see is an interpreter function that returns an array of FFT bins in specified range. I have an I/Q receiver that covers 3 TV carrier frequencies at once (77.240,77.250 and 77.260MHz) when sample rate is 48kHz. I don't want to store the full 48kHz band, or even to pass it for further processing. For meteor monitoring, I am interested in 3 narrow strips of this band. Currently, I can only save one such strip with the FFT export function, but can not serve it over HTTP. Either extending the FFT export to multiple subbands, or an interpreter function to select the subband would work for me.
              >
              > 73, Mike VE3YXA
              >
              > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Simon,
              > >
              > > I exactly try to do the same job to have SL output data live processed by third party application, script .
              > >
              > > It looks like web server functionality should work for us one day,
              > > replacing screen capture image update by saved Fftlog1.txt data file
              > > update every 1-5 sec.
              > >
              > > and using Apache server, PHP, my SQL, Javascript to process
              > > data.
              > >
              > > In theory data can be extracted from flat 2D image but
              > > interested in such live data processing configuration:
              > >
              > > SL > web server > Apache server + PHP + Javascript > live data processing > gnuplot or WebGl, OpenGl generated images, animation ..
              > >
              > > Can we ask Wolf for example of such configuration ?
              > >

              > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "SIMON" <simon.dawes@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
              > > >
              > > > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
              > > > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…
              > > >
              > > > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
              > > >
              > > > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.
              > > >
              > > > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.
              > > >
              > > > Any ideas how this could be achieved?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Simon.

            • dariusjack2006
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013

                I really like SL built-in web server but all I can do from web browser is to access waterfall image refreshed in 5-10-... sec intervals ( no raw data like Fftlog1.txt but image).

                If you let Fftlog.txt raw-data file to be accessed from web browser
                raw-data can be processed, studied for features, pattern recognition and more.

                Ok, raw-data can be extracted from 2D image (more complicated in case of 3D waterfall).

                So having SL built-in web server streaming live data and
                having json to access live data stream ( recording, processing, feature extraction, pattern recognition)
                could let us build network of SL run stations and have some servers to process geolocated data, generating scientific r&d reports on-the-fly.

                Basic data visualization can be tested with gnuplot
                http://www.nku.edu/~longa/gnuplot/WAVES/

                not to mention WebGL, OpenGL

                Ok, microcontroller can be operated SL server-side
                to access data sensors and porting data to PC

                darius

> [...]
                > > description of my script for automatic logging
                > > http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
                > > >
                > > > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would
                > > like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
                > > > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but
                > > can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am
                > > trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really
                > > want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a
                > > script using...
                > > >
                > > > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
                > > >
                > > > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on
                > > and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from
                > > within the script but don't know if this is possible.
                > > >
                > > > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the
                > > noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the

              • vbifyz
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
                  No, my Perl script runs standalone and issues HTTP GET commands directly to SL (which acts as an HTTP server, again without any other software involved). No browser is involved at all. The goal was to avoid any unnecessary overhead.
                  I don't know of a way to make Perl code to run inside a browser, if this is what you are asking.

                  73, Mike

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache web server or Firefox perl plugin?
                  >
                  > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
                  > what is your suggested configuration
                  >
                  > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL built-in web server?
                  >
                  > darius
                • Jurgen Bartels
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
                    > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache
                    > web server or Firefox perl plugin?
                    >
                    > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
                    > what is your suggested configuration
                    >
                    > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL
                    > built-in web server?

                    Why not create a perl cgi that accesses SL from there. You even call SL
                    interpreter commands that gives you all flexibility without the client-browser
                    seeing all those little secrets

                    Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                    Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                    MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                  • SIMON
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
                      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "SIMON" <simon.dawes@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I am using spectrum lab to monitor meteors (see here for a full description of my script for automatic logging http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/SLMeteor).
                      >
                      > Unfortunately I have a very narrow bandwidth signal that I would like the waterfall /conditional script to ignore.
                      > I think I can use spectrum lab to set-up a band reject filter, but can't work out how to add this to the circuit, also the `signal' I am trying to rid myself of seems to wander a little, so what I really want to be able to do is identify where the noise is at the start of a script using…
                      >
                      > unwantedSig=peak_f(low,high)
                      >
                      > And then tell spectrum lab to ignore this frequency (by turning on and updating the central frequency of a band reject filter) from within the script but don't know if this is possible.
                      >
                      > I would then use the conditional script to regularly check that the noise hasn't wandered outside of the filter and if it has, alter the filter frequency accordingly.
                      >
                      > Any ideas how this could be achieved?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Simon.

                      Hi I think my post was mis-understood.

                      I am using a conditional actions script to monitor and detect meteors, this works really well with one exception, I have a very narrow (1-2Hz) signal right in the middle of the band that I want to monitor for meteors, I would like to apply a band reject filter to remove the unwanted signal so I can continue to use the existing script.
                      e.g.
                      lets say I am monitoring from 1000Hz - 4000Hz and the unwanted signal is at 2500-2502Hz, I want to apply a band reject filter let's call this function reject(2500,2502) and then check for the peak amplitude but ignoring the 2500-2502Hz using A=peak_a(1000,4000).

                      I was thinking that SL could apply a band reject filter - I saw this in the component window - but I don't know how to do this and I was thinking also that SL could control the frequency the band reject filter worked over using conditional actions or using a variable calculated from conditional actions (the actual frequency varies with temperature - receiver is not that stable - so I would need to be able to configure it on the fly)

                      I hope that makes some sense!
                      Thanks,
                      Simon.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
                        Greetings all,

                        Javascript / JSON experts out there ?

                        How would you format the data for a *complex* FFT, i.e. two components
                        per frequency bin, in a JSON response with the minimum possible
                        overhead, when its impossible to have different data type *definitions*
                        and the data itself ? (this is one of the things I always missed in
                        Javascript... I first want to *declare* a data type (struct in "C" or
                        record in Pascal) before using it, but in j.s. / JSON they embed the
                        names of the struct (or array) members in the response with the data
                        themselves.
                        Which is very very unfortunate if you have an array of say 524288
                        complex frequency bins, and have to put the NAMES of each component in
                        each frequency bin because you cannot declare data types in advance ?
                        For example, in "C" (not C++) one would first declare a complex number
                        as a struct like this

                        typedef struct
                        { float re;
                        float im;
                        } T_Complex;

                        and then use it in an array of complex numbers like this:

                        T_Complex fft[524288] = { {0.1, 0.2}, {0.1, 0.3}, {0.1, 0.4}, ..... };

                        ( the receiver of such a line would of course need to know what
                        T_Complex is; since it's unnecessary to pass that in the server response)

                        How to form such two-dimensional arrays in JSON, without having to put
                        the name of each component in each array element (which would be an
                        awful waste of memory / network bandwidth) ?

                        Or drop JSON (to read FFTs from SL via its HTTP server) and use a simple
                        but flexible, self-defined format instead, which can be parsed in any
                        programming language ?

                      • Mark McCarron
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1 4:17 AM

                          You can use an JSON Array.

                          http://www.w3resource.com/JSON/structures.php

                          The format is [Value1, Value2, Value3...etc], or in your case [I,Q,I,Q...etc].  No need for key/value pairs.

                          It is also possible to read it as a stream:

                          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/444380/is-there-a-streaming-api-for-json

                          Regards,

                          Mark McCarron

                          To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2 5:41 AM
                            Wolf, Mark,

                            a nice graphical interface to JSON structures

                            http://www.json.org/

                            To implement interactivity, syntax and JSON structures should be generated on-the-fly by http request.

                            Header comes first for parsing of data structures in JSON stream.
                            Support for time-stamp could let us build network of meteor watching
                            stations and have central station processing live data streams on-the-fly, generating graphics.

                            Fftlog1.txt is made of header line + data, header line + data loop.
                            Updated time stamp can come with header.

                            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron@...> wrote:

                            > Wolf,
                            >
                            > You can use an JSON Array.
                            >
                            > http://www.w3resource.com/JSON/structures.php
                            >
                            > The format is [Value1, Value2, Value3...etc], or in your case [I,Q,I,Q...etc]. No need for key/value pairs.
                            >
                            > It is also possible to read it as a stream:
                            >
                            > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/444380/is-there-a-streaming-api-for-json
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Mark McCarron
                            >
                            > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: dl4yhf@...
                            > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 08:52:09 +0200
                            > Subject: Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: applying ( Spectrum Lab web server Fftlog1.txt data processing php JS

                            > Greetings all,
                            >

                            > Javascript / JSON experts out there ?
                            >

                            > How would you format the data for a *complex* FFT, i.e. two components
                            >
                            > per frequency bin, in a JSON response with the minimum possible
                            >
                            > overhead, when its impossible to have different data type *definitions*
                            >
                            > and the data itself ? (this is one of the things I always missed in
                            >
                            > Javascript... I first want to *declare* a data type (struct in "C" or
                            >
                            > record in Pascal) before using it, but in j.s. / JSON they embed the
                            >
                            > names of the struct (or array) members in the response with the data
                            >
                            > themselves.
                            >
                            > Which is very very unfortunate if you have an array of say 524288
                            >
                            > complex frequency bins, and have to put the NAMES of each component in
                            >
                            > each frequency bin because you cannot declare data types in advance ?
                            >
                            > For example, in "C" (not C++) one would first declare a complex number
                            >
                            > as a struct like this
                            >

                            > typedef struct
                            >
                            > { float re;
                            >
                            > float im;
                            >
                            > } T_Complex;
                            >

                            > and then use it in an array of complex numbers like this:
                            >

                            > T_Complex fft[524288] = { {0.1, 0.2}, {0.1, 0.3}, {0.1, 0.4}, ..... };
                            >

                            > ( the receiver of such a line would of course need to know what
                            >
                            > T_Complex is; since it's unnecessary to pass that in the server response)
                            >

                            > How to form such two-dimensional arrays in JSON, without having to put
                            >
                            > the name of each component in each array element (which would be an
                            >
                            > awful waste of memory / network bandwidth) ?
                            >

                            > Or drop JSON (to read FFTs from SL via its HTTP server) and use a simple
                            >
                            > but flexible, self-defined format instead, which can be parsed in any
                            >
                            > programming language ?

                          • dariusjack2006
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 4 4:37 AM
                              Thanks Mike,

                              I run SL under XP Windows, no Perl installed.
                              SL exactly comes with built in http server.

                              Ok, I can install Perl for Windows.
                              http://www.perl.org/get.html

                              Windows does not have Perl installed by default.

                              "
                              Binaries

                              Download ActivePerl
                              ActiveState Perlexternal link has binary distributions of Perl for Win32 (and Perl for Win64).

                              Download Strawberry Perl
                              Strawberry Perlexternal link: A 100% Open Source Perl for Windows that is exactly the same as Perl everywhere else; this includes using modules from CPAN, without the need for binary packages. Help is available from other Windows Perl developers on the #win32 irc channel on irc.perl.org (see websiteexternal link for access through a browser).

                              Download DWIM Perl
                              DWIM Perl for Windowsexternal link: A 100% Open Source Perl for Windows, based on Strawberry Perl. It aims to include as many useful CPAN modules as possible. It even comes with Padre, the Perl IDEexternal link.
                              "
                              To have perl run server-side , http server should be configured.
                              What is a configuration file and how to configure it to read and run perl script ?

                              Could you attach your configuration tips and working web page, run on the same computer?
                              My web browser is Firefox 20.0.

                              darius

                              SL supports web audio streams in/out
                              http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/webstreams.htm

                              --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                              > No, my Perl script runs standalone and issues HTTP GET commands directly to SL (which acts as an HTTP server, again without any other software involved). No browser is involved at all. The goal was to avoid any unnecessary overhead.
                              > I don't know of a way to make Perl code to run inside a browser, if this is what you are asking.
                              >
                              > 73, Mike
                              >
                              > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Mike,
                              > >
                              > > do you mean running perl script in the browser and no need for cgi, Apache web server or Firefox perl plugin?
                              > >
                              > > I run Firefox 20.0 + WindowsXP
                              > > what is your suggested configuration
                              > >
                              > > Can you put your perl code into html page to work client side, accessing SL built-in web server?
                              > >
                              > > darius

                            • dariusjack2006
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 16 5:28 AM
                                Hi Mark,
                                Hi Wolf,

                                Is this thread closed, no chance to build on-line network of Spectrum lab based stations ?

                                darius

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 16 9:46 AM
                                  Reading FFT data via web browser is still in the pipe.
                                  But there are too many other things to do at the moment, with a higher priority.
                                  Cannot comment on Perl since I have absolutely no experience with it.