Re: Dual conversion 60 Hz rejection Schumann Response Spectrum Lab Receiver.

  • dariusjack2006
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 20, 2013
      follow-up

      Documentation, manual for Lightning Radar app by Frank is no more available

      http://www.lightningradar.net/Discut/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111

      http://www.lightningradar.net/PicDocu.jpg

      On the other documents have been grouped together on my site at:
      http://www.lr37.fr/fr/doc/doc.html

      http://www.lr37.fr/erreur.php

      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "dariusjack2006" <dariusjack2006@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > The system Frank Kooiman implemented was originally started with the audio
      > > capture sub program of Wolfgang's. In fact the Ver 8622 still on Franks
      > > site is the main one I use because its simple and just works. I believe
      > > the SL functions for direction finding looks like the same thing Kooiman
      > > used for developing the direction angles. There the similarities end as
      > > his went on to take the angle information and time of a strike, to be
      > > plotted on a world map. We are in real need for someone with Wolfs
      > > abilities to write a program like Franks (He is now deceased.) that would
      > > have all the DSP receiver and GPS in the same program for triangulation
      > > with other stations the same as Franks. Doing that with the ability to use
      > > Schumann a long with other frequencies and GPS would be an amazing thing
      > > that has yet to be done. I'm sure it would become a main stay for
      > > researchers and scientist in these frequencies. A lot of things yet to be
      > > learned in these areas as your doing also yourself.
      > >
      > > I'm retired (35 years with USAF Intel.) and enjoy researching and using all
      > > this in my retirement. Let me know if I can help you get a station going.
      > >
      > > Gerry
      > >
      > > I am in the process of optimizing my own original station here for Schumann
      > > use. I have it basically working but I need to improve the S/N ratio of
      > > the system. Then if I can get a duplicate station in Europe or Aus, NZ
      > > area then we can do some real research. For such an exotic thing the tools
      > > to do this are either free or fairly low cost to implement for the serious
      > > interested persons.
      > >

      > > On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM, dariusjack2006 <dariusjack2006@>wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > 20 years ago I co-founded GNA Inc. in Austin, Texas as
      > > > world first virtual corporation.
      > > >
      > > > I live in Europe and my friends can manage lighting radar station at many
      > > > places in Europe (personally I develop now 3D audio tracking,
      > > > indoor Location Based Services, 3D TAWS based car navigation app
      > > > and 3D infrasounds detector + 3D viewer + direction finding + Doppler
      > > > processing for meteor tracking, Schumann Resonance modulation
      > > > for earthquake prediction ... ;)
      > > > as UNFCCC consultant on climate change I study a number of solutions
      > > > to track CME Impact on "weather change".
      > > >
      > > > So your Lightning Radar project is really great challenge I am interested
      > > > to be a part of.
      > > >
      > > > "
      > > > a Visual Basic program that detects the direction
      > > > to the source of the lightning strike
      > > > with an accuracy of 1 degree.
      > > > This program can be used at different sites to calculate
      > > > the location of the lightning strike
      > > > using a trangulation method.
      > > > "
      > > >
      > > > What is a relation between direction detection in Lightning radar app and
      > > > ColourDirectionFinding in Spectrum Lab ?
      > > >
      > > > Is http://www.blitzortung.org/
      > > > live webpage based interface to your Lightning Radar project ?

    • compu_friend
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 26, 2013
        Wolf,

        I took your advice on the single conversion method. I built a new preamp and things worked much better with a single conversion.

        Here is a link to my first results and experiments. Spectrum Lab is doing a great job for me.. Much appreciated!

        http://www.lrsatx.com/schumann_LR.htm

        http://www.lrsatx.com/

        Gerry

        > Hi Gerry,
        >
        > Difficult to tell if we really need dual conversion here. From a gut
        > feeling I'd day no, and instead simply let the FFT-based multi-notch
        > filter remove the 50 or 60 Hz and other unwanted signals. For example in
        > Europe, there is a huge amount of 16 2/3 Hz from the electric train
        > system, which must also be removed by an automatic notch which must be
        > as narrow as possible. Each frequency conversion (by a multiplier in the
        > time domain) may produce unwanted products, thus the less conversion
        > steps the better. Of course this depends on the frontend - it there is
        > nothing which can be aliased / mirrored it's no concern. Even the
        > upconversion by ~11 kHz could be done via the FFT-based filter, after
        > all 'unwanted' signals have been eliminated.

        > Am 15.04.2013 02:18, schrieb compu_friend:
        > >
        > > Hi Wolf,
        > >
        > > I am starting a new project using Spectrum Lab. The idea is to use SL
        > > as a receiver and 60 Hz rejection tool. I have this designed in the
        > > first testing of a long range lightning radar system. This uses Frank
        > > Kooiman's LR program for plotting the strikes on the map.
        > >
        > > Im using the excellent work done by Renato and yourself for the front
        > > end of this system. I have that running but need a few more turns on
        > > the antenna. What I would like to ask you to do is take a quick look
        > > at what Im doing with SL. Then see if it has any glaring hang ups
        > > before I get moving with this project with other people. It seems to
        > > be working from all I can tell but I do get some flashing error lights
        > > on the components here and there.. Lightning has a very large dynamic
        > > range to say the least!
        > >
        > > Here is a link to a page I started on the project. I have no other
        > > links to this until I vet it out.
        > >
        > > http://lrsatx.com/schumann_dual_conversion_receiver_for_LR.htm
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > > Gerry Gore, WB5TXA

      • dariusjack2006
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 27, 2013
          Gerry,

          Your web pages are made of static gif images.
          Is it possible to turn Lightning Radar app into web-based live data interface (Javascripted) since manual is missing ?

          Spectrum Lab comes with web server and image can be 1 sec interval refreshed.

          btw

          Tried to join
          LR group
          http://www.lightningradar.net/Discut/

          What is the result of [98-(5*5)]^2: *

          server responded

          "
          The value of “What is the result of [98-(5*5)]^2” is too large, a maximum value of 5329 is allowed.
          The confirmation code you entered was incorrect.
          "

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 27, 2013
            Maybe the server didn't let you in because [98-(5*5)]^2 actually *IS* 5329, not 8220 ?

            "A maximum value of 5329 is allowed" ... well, if that was a hint, it's a bit misleading.

              ;o)

            -...-

            The problem with SL's built-in web server will be as follows:
            If you run it on a typical PC 'at home' with ADSL connection, the uplink speed may be very limited. So it won't be good for one or two users at the same time. Thus periodically uploading the images as kind-of dynamic display to a website (running on a dedicated web server) really makes sense, because such a server with a true high-speed connection would be able to serve dozens or hundreds of users at the same time.

            Have a nice weekend everyone,
              Wolf .

            Am 27.04.2013 14:21, schrieb dariusjack2006:

            Gerry,

            Your web pages are made of static gif images.
            Is it possible to turn Lightning Radar app into web-based live data interface (Javascripted) since manual is missing ?

            Spectrum Lab comes with web server and image can be 1 sec interval refreshed.

            btw

            Tried to join
            LR group
            http://www.lightningradar.net/Discut/

            What is the result of [98-(5*5)]^2: *

            server responded

            "
            The value of &#8220;What is the result of [98-(5*5)]^2&#8221; is too large, a maximum value of 5329 is allowed.

          • Gerry G.
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 27, 2013
              darius,

              The LR programs have no way of doing anything but plotting lightning strikes.  That is all it was ever intended to do.  Frank created it to give people a  economical way to do this.  There are no outputs except between stations when they are connectected and that is only the strike location traffic and syncing information.  Here are a couple of links to folks doing things like this, maybe they could help you...

              Also if you join the Blitzortung.org TOA and have a station that pumps data, you can as a member have access to a ton of lightning strike data.  Every strike has time of arrival and a waveform that produced the strike.  Now this is not from a Schumann source, just the normal 10 kHz kind of strikes.

              Hope this helps,

              Gerry

            • Gerry G.
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 27, 2013
                Darius,

                On the LR forum problem , just send Daniel an email and ask him to put you into the system.  I'm sure he will do that when he knows who you are.  He is just having the same problems any forum like by own on USAtoa has.. These spamers have a program I think that can do the image thing now.. so that dont stop them, so you have to make it not worth their while with questions like Daniel has on there.  I have the same kind of thing but not so involved as his I think.  HIs mail is on the LR site.

                Gerry

              • compu_friend
                Message 7 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                  Wolf,

                  On SL V2.78 b27 at random I'm getting a hang up error that stops everything dead in the water. The error says.."error # 9051 input buffers over flowed in Soundinclose". I clear the error window and it takes off again, but mean time I have lost data all the time it was on. What could I be doing to cause this error? Is this a condition caused by improper settings? What am I doing wrong?

                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                    Hi Gerry,

                    Build number 27 is quite old, and a couple of soundcard-related issues have hopefully been fixed in the recent build, which is b33.
                    Can you try this ?
                    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. An input buffer overflow is usually caused by too large CPU load. This has been reduced in the recent version, at the expense of a sometimes 'jerky' waterfall scroll.
                    But better a not-so-smooth scrolling than lost audio samples, or even a stopped processing...

                  • Gerry G.
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                      Wolf,

                      I will try to update the program but darned if I can find it!  Either I get dead links or nothing at all.  None of the beta links I found work.  Do you have a particular place you keep the latest versions?  I will put it on as soon as I can find it.. :)

                      Gerry

                    • SkywarnPB6027
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2013

                        Hey Gerry

                        Same here let me know where that link to the spectrum Lab is the 33 version

                        I occasionally have that input buffer oveflow with LR.

                        Paul
> [...]

                        > > > I am starting a new project using Spectrum Lab. The idea is to use SL
                        > > > as a receiver and 60 Hz rejection tool. I have this designed in the
                        > > > first testing of a long range lightning radar system. This uses Frank
                        > > > Kooiman's LR program for plotting the strikes on the map.
                        > > >
                        > > > Im using the excellent work done by Renato and yourself for the front
                        > > > end of this system. I have that running but need a few more turns on
                        > > > the antenna. What I would like to ask you to do is take a quick look
                        > > > at what Im doing with SL. Then see if it has any glaring hang ups
                        > > > before I get moving with this project with other people. It seems to
                        > > > be working from all I can tell but I do get some flashing error lights
                        > > > on the components here and there.. Lightning has a very large dynamic
                        > > > range to say the least!
                        > > >
                        > > > Here is a link to a page I started on the project. I have no other

                      • Peter Mulhare
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 3, 2013

                          Gerry

                          Try this link:  I know it says b26 in the information but it is b33!  I downloaded it a couple of days ago and it works fine....You can find the links to it at the bottom of the main page on Wolf’s website.  Under a paragraph called “Download Spectrum Lab....”

                          http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip

                          Pete

                          ZL2iK

> [...]

                          > > > I am starting a new project using Spectrum Lab. The idea is to use SL
                          > > > as a receiver and 60 Hz rejection tool. I have this designed in the
                          > > > first testing of a long range lightning radar system. This uses Frank
                          > > > Kooiman's LR program for plotting the strikes on the map.
                          > > >
                          > > > Im using the excellent work done by Renato and yourself for the front
                          > > > end of this system. I have that running but need a few more turns on
                          > > > the antenna. What I would like to ask you to do is take a quick look
                          > > > at what Im doing with SL. Then see if it has any glaring hang ups
                          > > > before I get moving with this project with other people. It seems to
                          > > > be working from all I can tell but I do get some flashing error lights
                          > > > on the components here and there.. Lightning has a very large dynamic
                          > > > range to say the least!
                          > > >
                          > > > Here is a link to a page I started on the project. I have no other

                        • Gerry G.
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                            Hi Peter,

                            Thanks for the info!  I have it installed and it does appear to work better than the old one which I don't really understand why but seems to grab the data better or something going on..  I think Wolf put another over drive in it.  I'm watching lightning hits over the South America area and its just lit up now.

                            http://www.lrsatx.com/picture4.png

                            I'm using this with the new Schumann driven LR and this new version is really rolling!

                            Thanks again,

                            Gerry WB5TXA

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 4, 2013
                                Hi Gerry,

                                Only for the record, since I think you already found the latest version:

                                If the link to the 'beta' doesn't work, there simply isn't a 'beta' only a stable release.
                                There is no on-line storage for old versions lacking my own website with gigabytes of storage.
                                I only keep old versions (along with their sources) on a harddisk.