RE: [SpectrumLabUsers] RTL-SDR

  • Mark McCarron
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16, 2013
      When spectrum lab calls the ExtIO_USRP.dll, for some reason it is tells it to create a device, rather than just opening the GUI.  I wrote a small app in C# to call the DLL and it does not create the device, it just pops open the GUI.

      Are you using _openHW() and _closeHW()???  If so, don't.

      I just load the library, make a call to _initHW(), setup the callback and that's it.  Everything else is done in the GUI.

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron

      To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
      From: dl4yhf@...
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:19:12 +0200
      Subject: Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] RTL-SDR

      Thanks Mark.

      Hmm... there is no call from the DLL host being made into the DLL which shouldn't be there.
      Wonder which of those functions (inside the DLL) is being called improperly - possibly the old annoyance with compiler-dependent calling conventions.
      What kind of device does the USRP dll create ?
      I also use an ExtIO DLL here to control a 'FiFi' SDR (DLL written by a dutchman), and it runs perfectly well and stable in SL. Thus I don't want to modify anything until I know exactly what and *why*.

      Greetings,
        Wolf .

      Am 16.04.2013 06:22, schrieb Mark McCarron:

      Wolf,

      I have been running some tests using ExtIO_USRP.  The problem appears to with your calling code, not the device or ExtIO file.  Whatever way you are calling this DLL, it is causing ExtIO_USRP.dll to attempt to create a device.  This crashes the DLL.

      Can you remove this part of the code?  It should work fine then.

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron

      To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
      From: dl4yhf@...
      Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:37:23 +0200

      Greetings all,

      I tried a cheap (and poorly performing) Noxon DAB stick with various ExtIO drivers, but none of them worked really stable (only for a few minutes and then stopped). Taking the poor dynamic range into account, I didn't put more effort and time into it. But having a stable interface with those ExtIO-DLLs running at higher sampling rates, and supporting all data types (8 and 16 bit integer + 32-bit float) is still on the to-do list.

      Am 11.04.2013 22:13, schrieb Bill:

      Mark,  I to have been wondering if SL can be used with the TV Dongles.  There are 2 other SDRs that support the dongle: SDR# and HDSDR and I believe their user groups have the info you need.  Hope this helps.  If you manage to sort it all out please share the details.

      Regards,

      Bill
      On Apr 11, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Mark McCarron wrote:

      I have managed to get ExtIO_USRP.dll to load as the input device.  After clicking 'Apply', the Device Control GUI pops up but it defaults to UHD.  The documentation states that a "device hint" must be passed to the DLL.  I have tried entering the value 'RTL' in the params but it is ignored.

      Without being able to pass the device hint, the Device Control attempts to auto-start a UHD device which results in a hang.

      Anyone know how to pass the device hint?

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron

      To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com
      From: mark.mccarron@...
      Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:19:36 +0100
      Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] RTL-SDR

      Is there currently any way of adding this device to Spectrum Lab?

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron

    • Mark McCarron
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 16, 2013
        Wolf,

        I have found some answers to this.  There are two main ExtIO DLLs for the RTLSDR.  They can be found here:

        1. http://wiki.spench.net/wiki/USRP_Interfaces
        2. https://github.com/josemariaaraujo/ExtIO_RTL

        It would appear that the libraries are loaded by initHW() and the problem occurs startHW() is called.

        I have tested both the DLLs in other apps and code, both are working fine.
        Regards,

        Mark McCarron

        To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
          Actually, the problem occurs when openHW() is called.  It causes USRP to hang and RTL to have an exception.

          So, the problem is certainly in the calling code somewhere.

          Regards,

          Mark McCarron

          To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com

          From: mark.mccarron@...
          Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:19:36 +0100

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
            Thanks Mark,

            Indeed I do call openHW() since the name sounded as if it's a mandatory call. Maybe it's not.
            I hope to find the time to investigate this myself, hopefully next week.

            To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
              That call should be fine.  I have a small test framework for calling ExtIO files and checking the output.  It loads and runs each of those DLLs fine.  So, its not the calls themselves, but something in the calling code.

              I have noticed that some ExtIOs expect to be started on a dedicated thread.

              Regards,

              Mark McCarron

              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

              From: mark.mccarron@...