Infrasounds recording with SL, Colour Direction Finder, Bat DownConverter r-t

  • dariusjack2006
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
      Hi,

      Let me first congratulate Wolfgang for great success of his excellent
      Spectrum Lab.
      Number of options is so great, left-side buttons can be right-mouse click scripted and configured, user's configurations can be scripted
      via REAME_configuration.txt, so it takes me a lot of time to test and master SL (not Second Life).

      So just few questions.

      1.
      Tested yesterday Bat Converter to work for a pre-recorded audio file.
      Tell if alike filter can be developed to work for infrasounds,
      converting the infrasound up to audio (real-time) and if Bat Converter or such Infrasound Converter can work on-line getting live input from the environment.
      http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

      2.
      Radar functionality, meteor observations, Doppler shift recording, live analysis to get speed and direction for tracking of meteors.

      Markus Vester, DF6NM mentioned a use of 2/3 microphones to test his Colour Direction Finder.
      Is available test audio file or can one be generated (binaural frequencies)to get ColourDF functionality to work in test mode ?

      My laptop comes with built-in mic (mono mode) so I plan to use 2 external mics (one connected for lef and other for right channel stereo input)
      and have a speaker moving in a space to see Direction Finder or 2D tracking to work.

      3.I would like to process waterfall output images in another application.
      Is it possible to preset size of output image file in pixels
      if yes, how ( via configurations ?)

      thanks
      Darius
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
        Hello Darius,

        I am not aware of sample recordings being made with stereo microphones. Possibly my Zoom H1 would be up to the job (its sampling rate is just large enough to catch the lowest frequencies of the local bat population, but lacks sensivity). But I am not sure about its directional pattern, I wouldn't expect much from it (at least not enough for acuoustic 'radio location' / direction finding).
        The human ear performs a much more complex 'analog signal processing' than the radio direction finding for the 'two crossed loop' configuration.

        About batch-driven image post-processing :  Never heard of it. Maybe GIMP does, but I never tried.
        For a fixed image size of the waterfall (saved by SL), you can use the 'fixed window size' option. It's described somewhere in the manual, but I'm too lazy to look it up myself at the moment.

        Am 09.04.2013 15:18, schrieb dariusjack2006:

[...]

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
              Hi Everyone,

              I have an older PC that I use for my SID work and VLF listening. The onboard audio was limited to the 48khz which really only gave me the 24khz of listening. I finally got the driver for the sound blaster card I picked up and this one gives me more listening up to 96khz and its working with some programs, but when I start up SL, I get an error about the sound format :\  please don't tell me I can't use this fine program Spectrum Lab with some sound blaster cards... I use SL all the time and would be a shame not to be able to now...
              Has anyone had any issues running SL with sound blaster cards ????

              Any help would be greatyl appreciated, like I can use it, but there is something I have too do in order to make it work with SL...

              Thank you

          Frank

        • Nathan Bonsal

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
              Ok, thanks Nathan, I did get it going on SL, don't know what happened teh first time. I did a reboot and everything was working. Appears to be receiving ok, I am picking up signals all the way up to 48khz. I think I see what you mean in the signal thou, some funny stuff showing up as well, but the main signals I see match my other PC so all appears to be ok. I am searching for the card you mentioned below thou. Is there a really big difference from the one I just installed to that one you mentioned?

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                Frank,

                The M-Audio card is good, but the best card on the market is Asus Xonar.

                https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/

                You can buy them on eBay.

                Regards,

                Mark McCarron

                To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
                From: skybug@...
                Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 18:07:48 -0400

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                  Thanks Wolf,

                  I mean your prerecorded bats voices in attached audio file, using electret microphone.

                  Can bats ultrasound voices be recorded live and downconverted to audio
                  in real time to be heard via soundcard ?

                  I need upconversion in case of infrasounds to work alike.

                  --
                  3 mics configuration
                  http://soundsorange.net/images_extra/tetrahedral_array2.jpg

                  2/3 microphones configuration was mentioned by
                  Markus Vester, DF6NM in his manual to work for Colour Direction Finder.

                  How to contact Marcus via this group or email to discuss details?

                  Please leave my topic "as-is" since I really need to know "all-in-one"

                  (amended to soundcards)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                    Hi Darius,

                    Am 10.04.2013 16:20, schrieb dariusjack2006:

                    Thanks Wolf,

                    I mean your prerecorded bats voices in attached audio file, using electret microphone.

                    Can bats ultrasound voices be recorded live and downconverted to audio
                    in real time to be heard via soundcard ?

                    Yes, that's what the 'bat converter' configuration is for (Quick settings .. Natural radio / animal voices .. Bat Converter).
                    It uses the FFT-based audio filter to shift high frequencies into the audio range (something like 40 kHz down). The opposite (move a band of frequencies up) is also possible to make infrasounds audible without time compression or expansion.

                    Of course you need a soundcard with 96 kHz or better 192 kHz sampling rate for it, as recently mentioned here.
                    Beware of some crappy cards out there which claim 96 kHz sampling rate but with internal low-pass filters cutting off anything above 20 kHz.

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013

                      > Hi Darius,
                      >
                      > Am 10.04.2013 16:20, schrieb dariusjack2006:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Wolf,
                      > >
                      > > I mean your prerecorded bats voices in attached audio file, using
                      > > electret microphone.
                      > >
                      > > Can bats ultrasound voices be recorded live and downconverted to audio
                      > > in real time to be heard via soundcard ?
                      > >
                      > Yes, that's what the 'bat converter' configuration is for (Quick
                      > settings .. Natural radio / animal voices .. Bat Converter).
                      > It uses the FFT-based audio filter to shift high frequencies into the
                      > audio range (something like 40 kHz down). The opposite (move a band of
                      > frequencies up) is also possible to make infrasounds audible without
                      > time compression or expansion.
                      >
                      > Of course you need a soundcard with 96 kHz or better 192 kHz sampling
                      > rate for it, as recently mentioned here.
                      > Beware of some crappy cards out there which claim 96 kHz sampling rate
                      > but with internal low-pass filters cutting off anything above 20 kHz.

                      Another approach would be to hetrodyne the band of interest down to
                      audio frequencies, and then use SL to analyze that.

                      Here's a bit of information on ultrasonics:

                      http://www.midnightscience.com/ultrasonics.html

                      (I've met Phil, but I have no connection with the site/company.)

                      Dave