Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] SpectrumLab shuts down after loading

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hi Paul,

      Welcome to the group.
      I suggest you run SL in "debug mode" (which is actually just a command line switch, instructing it to write a logfile) and post that file here - it's plain ASCII which can be pasted into a message.

      Details in the SL manual ("help" folder), or online here:

      http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/startins.htm#debug_option

      The messages in that logfile could shed some line on where exactly the program quits.

      Am 26.03.2013 21:54, schrieb dpnelson256:

      I guess I need a little help getting things running. I just downloaded SpectrumLab on my laptop into the default Spectrum folder in the root directory. When I try to start it using the desktop icon it seems to open normally then run through initialization and immediately shuts down. My computer is a Dell Inspiron running XP Professional. I have the Norton security suite and have added SpectrumLab to the trusted list. I haven't found any hints in the forum that seemed helpful and I feel sure I am doing (or not doing)something really dumb. Does anyone have any insight into how I can coax this computer into being more cooperative and let me run SpectrumLab so it will get through more than the initialization?

      Paul Nelson
      K4JAZ

    • dpnelson256
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
        Thanks for the suggestion. I felt sure there was a part of my security suite that was blocking the program and sure enough this morning I found "Constant Guard" which is a part of the Comcast security suite was the culprit. I had fixed Norton but not Constant Guard. I got the "allow" rule in place and things seem to be working well now. Thanks for the help.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
          Hello Paul,

          Thanks for the update. Still it would be interesting to let SL run with the "debug" option, to find out at which stage the "Constant Guard" is alarmed and aborts SL's execution. Or will it do this with any program after being launched for the first time ?

          Greetings,
             Wolf .

          Am 27.03.2013 15:06, schrieb dpnelson256:

          Thanks for the suggestion. I felt sure there was a part of my security suite that was blocking the program and sure enough this morning I found "Constant Guard" which is a part of the Comcast security suite was the culprit. I had fixed Norton but not Constant Guard. I got the "allow" rule in place and things seem to be working well now. Thanks for the help.

          Paul

        • Peter Mulhare
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013

            Hello Group,

            Of interest, I have run SpecLab for a number of years, with Norton’s Security (currently - Norton 360 2013), I have never had an issue with SpecLab, caused by any version of Norton’s Security package.  I have never “told” Norton’s 360 or earlier versions that I am running SpecLab.

            I run Win7 pro, but previously used Win XP, both have given me the same results.  I do not run other security products in parallel with Norton’s.

            Pete

            iK

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
              Wolf
              I recreated the problem and ran SL with the debug option active as you
              suggested. The file is pasted below. Beats me what this Constant Guard
              this Constant Guard thing is doing. I had specifically not activated
              any of the features since most involved managing my bank and comcast
              accounts which I am reall not interested in doing. There seems to be a
              "suspicious program block feature active anyway. SL is the only program
              it has spit up on so was not aware it was "helping" me. That sort of
              help I can do without. A any rate once told to leave SL alone
              everything works as advertised. Anyway here is the file and thanks
              again for your interest and help in getting SL working here.
              Paul
              K4JAZ

              19:41:06.3 Logfile created on 2013-03-28 19:41:06 UTC
              19:41:06.3 checking instance...
              19:41:06.3 Executable: c:\Spectrum\SpecLab.exe
              19:41:06.3 Compiled : Mar 25 2013
              19:41:06.3 Data Files: c:\Spectrum
              19:41:06.3 init application...
              19:41:06.3 creating main form...
              19:41:06.3 Constructing main form
              19:41:06.3 initialising ASIO wrapper
              19:41:06.3 Creating an instance of class AsioDrivers
              19:41:06.3 Trying to retrieve ASIO driver names
              19:41:06.3 Retrieved 0 ASIO driver name(s)
              19:41:06.3 initialising SDR-14 / SDR-IQ control
              19:41:06.3 initialising PERSEUS control
              19:41:06.3 creating CSound object
              19:41:06.3 Parsing command line
              19:41:06.3 main form constructed
              19:41:06.3 Creating main form
              19:41:06.3 initialising digimodes
              19:41:07.2 initialising I/O driver
              19:41:07.2 I/O driver initialized
              19:41:07.2 init audio-processing thread
              19:41:07.2 Creating frequency markers
              19:41:07.2 Clearing input buffers
              19:41:07.2 Initialising help system
              19:41:07.2 Initialising spectrum display area
              19:41:07.2 Initialising message handlers
              19:41:07.2 Created the main form
              19:41:07.2 creating string-edit dialog
              19:41:07.3 creating watch window
              19:41:07.3 creating TD-scope window
              19:41:07.3 created TD-scope window
              19:41:07.3 created checklist dialog
              19:41:07.3 creating monitor scope
              19:41:07.3 creating monitor scope
              19:41:07.3 creating command window
              19:41:07.3 creating filter control form
              19:41:07.4 created filter control form
              19:41:07.4 creating 2nd spectrogram
              19:41:07.4 created 2nd spectrogram
              19:41:07.4 going to 'run' the application..
              19:41:07.4 init timer = 19
              19:41:07.4 init timer = 18
              19:41:07.5 init timer = 17
              19:41:07.6 init timer = 16
              19:41:07.6 init timer = 15
              19:41:07.7 init timer = 14
              19:41:07.8 init timer = 13
              19:41:07.8 init timer = 12
              19:41:07.9 init timer = 11
              19:41:07.9 init timer = 10
              19:41:08.0 init timer = 9
              19:41:08.1 init timer = 8
              19:41:08.1 init timer = 7
              19:41:08.2 init timer = 6
              19:41:08.2 Redirecting message handlers
              19:41:08.3 init timer = 5
              19:41:08.3 Creating sound thread
              19:41:08.3 Created sound thread
              19:41:08.3 Back in main..
              19:41:08.3 init timer = 4
              19:41:08.4 init timer = 3
              19:41:08.4 opening spectrum buffers
              19:41:08.4 init waterfall preview
              19:41:08.4 Buffer-Init done
              19:41:08.4 init timer = 2
              19:41:08.4 First call of 'MyWindowProc'
              19:41:08.4 Survived 1st call of 'MyWindowProc'
              19:41:08.4 Scanning for plugins..
              19:41:08.4 Plugin-scan done.
              19:41:08.5 Returning from InitBigBuffers
              19:41:08.5 init timer = 1
              19:41:08.6 init timer = 0
              19:41:08.6 Updating audio settings..
              19:41:08.7 Init upsampling buffer
              19:41:08.7 Init decimating buffer
              19:41:08.8 Initialising FFT input buffers
              19:41:08.9 Leaving critial section
              19:41:08.9 Returning from UpdateAudioSettings
              19:41:09.0 Initialising frequency calibrator
              19:41:09.0 Back from InitFrequencyCalibrator.
              19:41:09.0 Back from UpdateAudioSettings .
              19:41:10.4 Launching Sound Thread
              19:41:10.4 Clearing digimode chunks
              19:41:10.4 Clearing audio chunks
              19:41:10.4 Entering audio thread loop
              19:41:10.4 Initialising audio devices..
              19:41:10.4 InitAudioDevices, IN: DeviceName='-1' ->
              DeviceType=Soundcard .
              19:41:10.4 InitAudioDevices, OUT: DeviceName='-1' ->
              DeviceType=Soundcard .
              19:41:10.4 Opening or re-opening audio device for input
              19:41:10.4 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID('-1') enumerating 1 wave-input
              devices:
              19:41:10.4 Device #0 is 'IDT Audio', formats=0x000BFFFF, ok
              19:41:10.4 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID: No perfect match; best bet is
              device #-1 = '' .
              19:41:10.4 CSound::InOpen: Trying to open "", ID #-1, 11025 Hz, 16 bit,
              1 channel(s), for input.
              19:41:10.5 CSound::InOpen: Creating 4 input buffers for 'wave' input