Results of testing Spectrum Labs V2.78 Build 31

  • nu7z73
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
      Hi Wolfe, First --

      Thank you so kindly for all of your efforts to solve this issue. It has been a real pain for some time. Interestingly I think many of us have contributed to the dropouts -- so I will explain.

      From the time I began running Spectrum Labs, I was running a 48Khz card, then on to a USB supported 96Khz card, and then on to an internal 192Khz card. When I changed over to the 192Khz card AND updated my software to 2.78 B_XX I began to have the problems of dropouts and display freezes. I am running XP so thought that it possible that when the software build was changed the problem began.

      Well, that is the short version -- and here is what happened --

      I received as an incentive "SABRENT" USB 2.0 3D sound card with a purchase I made, recently, and I was curious to see if it might support the Spectrum lab environment. Well, it has been running, now, some 30 hours without any dropouts or freezing, and without any degradation that I can see. So, for my applications with QRSS it looks like this might have solved the mystery for now. I will however return to my 96Khz card and see if it also works. IF it does then I will assume that the 192Khz card is the culprit and move.

      I'll let you know when I complete my testing.

      Again -- Thank you for your hard work and support.

      Rick W7RNB
    • mux_folder2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
        I have been running b31 with my 192 Khz built-in sound and it runs fine. Things have improved a great deal.

        Tony

        --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "nu7z73" <nu7z73@...> wrote:

        > Hi Wolfe, First --
        >
        > Thank you so kindly for all of your efforts to solve this issue. It has been a real pain for some time. Interestingly I think many of us have contributed to the dropouts -- so I will explain.
        >
        > From the time I began running Spectrum Labs, I was running a 48Khz card, then on to a USB supported 96Khz card, and then on to an internal 192Khz card. When I changed over to the 192Khz card AND updated my software to 2.78 B_XX I began to have the problems of dropouts and display freezes. I am running XP so thought that it possible that when the software build was changed the problem began.
        >
        > Well, that is the short version -- and here is what happened --
        >
        > I received as an incentive "SABRENT" USB 2.0 3D sound card with a purchase I made, recently, and I was curious to see if it might support the Spectrum lab environment. Well, it has been running, now, some 30 hours without any dropouts or freezing, and without any degradation that I can see. So, for my applications with QRSS it looks like this might have solved the mystery for now. I will however return to my 96Khz card and see if it also works. IF it does then I will assume that the 192Khz card is the culprit and move.
        >
        > I'll let you know when I complete my testing.
        >
        > Again -- Thank you for your hard work and support.
        >
        > Rick W7RNB

      • Rick Beatty
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
          Hi Tony, Thanks for the input. It may be that your card being "built in" assuming that means on the mother board could be the secret. The board that I have had my issues with is a Creative labs, PCI based card. However, by using the USB cards my issues have not returned.
          So, I am going to assume that my issue with dropouts and display freezes is probably coming from some incompatibility with the software, and not the other way around.

          And, for QRSS modes I think that 192Khz is probably way over the top in how we use Spectrum Labs. So, basically, I have moved away from the 192Khz card and use the USB 2.0 external card for my purposes.

          All the best -- Rick W7RNB

          I have been running b31 with my 192 Khz built-in sound and it runs fine. Things have improved a great deal.

          Tony

          --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "nu7z73" <nu7z73@...> wrote:

          > Hi Wolfe, First --
          >
          > Thank you so kindly for all of your efforts to solve this issue. It has been a real pain for some time. Interestingly I think many of us have contributed to the dropouts -- so I will explain.
          >
          > From the time I began running Spectrum Labs, I was running a 48Khz card, then on to a USB supported 96Khz card, and then on to an internal 192Khz card. When I changed over to the 192Khz card AND updated my software to 2.78 B_XX I began to have the problems of dropouts and display freezes. I am running XP so thought that it possible that when the software build was changed the problem began.
          >
          > Well, that is the short version -- and here is what happened --
          >
          > I received as an incentive "SABRENT" USB 2.0 3D sound card with a purchase I made, recently, and I was curious to see if it might support the Spectrum lab environment. Well, it has been running, now, some 30 hours without any dropouts or freezing, and without any degradation that I can see. So, for my applications with QRSS it looks like this might have solved the mystery for now. I will however return to my 96Khz card and see if it also works. IF it does then I will assume that the 192Khz card is the culprit and move.
          >
          > I'll let you know when I complete my testing.
          >
          > Again -- Thank you for your hard work and support.
          >
          > Rick W7RNB

        • mux_folder2001
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
            192K is great for recording the NDB band so that I don't have to stay up all night to catch DX. For live listening, there is still some value. With my Softrock, the IQ balance changes when you move the LO. So it is better to avoid the need to do so.

            I did tweak the audio chunk size down to 100ms with b31. I'm not sure that I needed to. I was getting some pops in the audio with a very narrow filter setting. They got better with the tweak. But I found that increasing the filter FFT from 64K to 128k made it go away completely. So that may have been caused by me abusing the filter settings. So far, other than the usual jerky waterfall, everything is working fine. I can even run 192k with DSP while recording to a network drive at 192K.

            Tony