Re: [SpectrumLab] Play URL Stream functionality broken?

  • Wolfgang Büscher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hello Lars,

      You wrote (in the older Spectrum Lab group):
      > Hi Wolf,
      >
      > As you may remember, I use SpecLab for years now to create live displays for
      > the PALAOA data stream. I use
      > File - Audio Files - Analyze and Play Stream/URL -
      > http://icecast.awi.de/PALAOA.OGG - 32kHz, 2 Chan, 16Bit - OK
      > to play and display the stream. I have copied in_vorbis.dll from Winamp V2
      > into the winamp\plugins directory and
      > activated it in options - system settings - winamp plugins. In SL Version
      > V2.74 b12 this works fine.
      >
      > However, in Version V2.76 b4 I only get an error message.

      This is most likely due to the fact that V2.76 (and later versions) have
      built-in support for Ogg/Vorbis encoded *files*, to eliminate the need
      for the winamp plugins - which didn't work with streams here, after
      ""upgrading"" to winamp V5.something . With Winamp V2, I could get it to
      play ogg files on the local disk, but not internet streams. I guess this
      is because the plugin must call some functions in the Winamp main
      program, which doesn't work when the winamp input plugin is loaded by
      Spectrum Lab (and not winamp).

      At the moment, all you can do (to analyse ogg *streams*) is play them
      with winamp, and tap the soundcard's ouput through sndvol32.exe or
      similar, and let Spectrum Lab analyse the signal. This is not very
      elegant, but it works, also with any other player.... at least with
      windows XP.

      I am still working on a 'native' support for Ogg/Vorbis *streams* in
      SpecLab, because for a certain project we need to embed a precise
      'timestamp' channel in the stream. Once this works, it will be much
      easier to play ogg/vorbis streams with SL directly. Only MP3 streams
      will never be supported by SL due to some crazy copyright / patent
      issues. Then, you will also be able to pass the stream address in the
      command line.

    • Wolfgang Büscher
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2010
        Hi Lars and group,

        you wrote:
        > thanks, input of ogg and mp3 streams via the winamp2 plugins works again!
        >
        > You can try the "inofficial" PALAOA stream without anouncements, fallback,
        > etc:
        > http://icecast.awi.de:8000/PALAOA1.OGG
        >
        > Any chance to start SL playing the stream automatically without clicking
        > the menu?

        Yes, that's possible now. I have uploaded the latest beta again (without
        changing the subversion), with only this modification:
        In older version, SpecLab only recognized *.wav files as audio files,
        when such a name was passed through the command line.
        Now, it also recognizes *.ogg and *.mp3 as valid extensions. So you can
        create a desktop shortcut, or a batchfile, or similar with a command
        line as this (which I just tested with the AWI Palaoa stream):

        .... SpecLab.exe http://icecast.awi.de:8000/PALAOA1.OGG

        (btw, some fascinating sounds from the hydrophones there at the moment)

        Hope this helps,
        Cheers,
        Wolf.