Velleman PCS10 Question

  • sm5le
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi all

      Does "Velleman PCS10" work with SpectrumLab ?
      It has 100S/s , does it work for Shumann frquences and lower
      1-40 Hz ?
      I finde that my EMU-0202 have drop below apr. 5Hz.

      Thanks /Sven
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi Sven,

        Am 11.03.2013 16:41, schrieb sm5le:

        Hi all

        Does "Velleman PCS10" work with SpectrumLab ?

        If it 'appears' like a soundcard to the system, yes.
        Otherwise no.. unless someone writes an interface DLL for it (preferably ExtIO-compatible).

        Alternatively you could bypass the coupling capacitors in your E-MU 0202 and make the input "DC coupled". But that may be easier said than done...

      • sm5le
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
          Tnx Wolf
          I will try to contact Velleman and ask them if PCS10 "looks like a soundcard" (I dont think it will).
          I have opened the EMU-0202 cover ones and closed it immediately :-)

          My Schumann RX (nr3) works on the bench , it has a 600 Hz ocsilator and baseband frequency modulation down do DC. This work fine with the FM demodulator in SpecLab. But as I said; the D/A (0202-output) does not go to near DC.

          Here waiting for spring so my S.R. antenna experiment can start. This summer I will test if Scumann E-fiels has any polarization at my sight.

          73 Sven

          > Hi Sven,
          >
          > Am 11.03.2013 16:41, schrieb sm5le:
          > >
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > Does "Velleman PCS10" work with SpectrumLab ?
          > >

          > If it 'appears' like a soundcard to the system, yes.
          > Otherwise no.. unless someone writes an interface DLL for it (preferably
          > ExtIO-compatible).
          >
          > Alternatively you could bypass the coupling capacitors in your E-MU 0202
          > and make the input "DC coupled". But that may be easier said than done...
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Wolf .

        • renato
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
            Hi Sven,
            the Velleman PCS10 is not recognized by Windows as a sound resource.

            It works only with its software, PCLAB2000SE:
            http://www.velleman.eu/support/downloads/?code=PCS10

            Bye, Renato

            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "sm5le" <sm5le@...> wrote:

            > Tnx Wolf
            > I will try to contact Velleman and ask them if PCS10 "looks like a soundcard" (I dont think it will).
            > I have opened the EMU-0202 cover ones and closed it immediately :-)
            >
            > My Schumann RX (nr3) works on the bench , it has a 600 Hz ocsilator and baseband frequency modulation down do DC. This work fine with the FM demodulator in SpecLab. But as I said; the D/A (0202-output) does not go to near DC.
            >
            > Here waiting for spring so my S.R. antenna experiment can start. This summer I will test if Scumann E-fiels has any polarization at my sight.
            >
            > 73 Sven
            >
            > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, wolf_dl4yhf <dl4yhf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Sven,
            > >
            > > Am 11.03.2013 16:41, schrieb sm5le:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all
            > > >
            > > > Does "Velleman PCS10" work with SpectrumLab ?
            > > >

            > > If it 'appears' like a soundcard to the system, yes.
            > > Otherwise no.. unless someone writes an interface DLL for it (preferably
            > > ExtIO-compatible).
            > >
            > > Alternatively you could bypass the coupling capacitors in your E-MU 0202
            > > and make the input "DC coupled". But that may be easier said than done...
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Wolf .

          • Graham Mcleod
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
              Hi all, hope this helps someone...
              Looking into the internals of my EMU 0204 USB product, I found that it uses AK5385 ADC's.
              On their datasheet, pin 19 is a "HPF enable" pin, which can disable the 4Hz HPF which is done digitally, internally.
              I haven't tried this, (nor even had a look inside yet), but believe the EMU is DC coupled on some inputs,
              yet does appear (on test) to have an approx. 4Hz HPF, to remove DC and VLF from overloading the ADC inputs??.
              Of course, disabling it might throw up another problem - they wouldn't have fitted it otherwise....
              I.E. "There's no reason to expect the ADC to be particularly DC-stable, as it's not designed for it".

              Wolf, you were requesting ready made equipment with more than 2 simultaneously sampling ADC's...
              This 192KHz SR, 24 bit delta-sigma ADC datasheet does state how to synchronize other ADC's to it,
              so whilst not ready-made, there is at least a Modifiers' route to doing this.

              I couldn't get the ASIO input to work with SL at 192KHz, so used the standard USB mode, which seems AOK.
              The two appear as separate entities in the Input Selector box. Graham G8PHA.

            • Graham Mcleod
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
                Oops Sorry...
                In my last post I referred to "ASIO", this should have read "ExtIO".
                Also note that the AK5385 ADC's referred to, (used in the EMU 0204)
                have their HPF (DC removal) corner frequency linked to their Sample rate,
                thus at 192KHz SR it is 4Hz, but 2Hz at 96KHz SR, and 1Hz at 48KHz SR.
                HTH. Gra.
              • sm5le
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Tnx Renato. Now I do not need to buy that one !
                  This summer I will try to measure S.R E-field "polarization" and see if I can grab some more signal. Just tilting a fishingpol or something, Do you think that a stupid idea?
                  Also I have seen that Analog Devices have a new op. amp. "ADA4528" with no 1/f noise ! I thoght that it was not possible.

                  /Sven

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "renato" <ik1qfk@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sven,
                  > the Velleman PCS10 is not recognized by Windows as a sound resource.
                  >
                  > It works only with its software, PCLAB2000SE:
                  > http://www.velleman.eu/support/downloads/?code=PCS10
                  >

                  > Bye, Renato
                  >

                  > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "sm5le" <sm5le@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Tnx Wolf
                  > > I will try to contact Velleman and ask them if PCS10 "looks like a soundcard" (I dont think it will).
                  > > I have opened the EMU-0202 cover ones and closed it immediately :-)
                  > >
                  > > My Schumann RX (nr3) works on the bench , it has a 600 Hz ocsilator and baseband frequency modulation down do DC. This work fine with the FM demodulator in SpecLab. But as I said; the D/A (0202-output) does not go to near DC.
                  > >
                  > > Here waiting for spring so my S.R. antenna experiment can start. This summer I will test if Scumann E-fiels has any polarization at my sight.
                  > >
                  > > 73 Sven
                  > >
                  > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, wolf_dl4yhf <dl4yhf@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Sven,

                  > > > If it 'appears' like a soundcard to the system, yes.
                  > > > Otherwise no.. unless someone writes an interface DLL for it (preferably
                  > > > ExtIO-compatible).
                  > > >
                  > > > Alternatively you could bypass the coupling capacitors in your E-MU 0202
                  > > > and make the input "DC coupled". But that may be easier said than done...
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > > Wolf .

                • sm5le
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Graham tnx for info. I will try different sampling rates on my EMU0202 and see if the low responce will change.
                    /Sven SM5LE

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Hi Sven,
                      to detect signal polarization you need a floating receiver, connected with two counterposed monopoles. With a single monopole referred to ground (like with a fishingpool) you detect the vertical component only, always, also if it is place orizontaly: http://www.vlf.it/romero2/dipolo.gif.

                      ADA4528 offer a constant input voltage noise density of 7 nV/vHz starting from 1 Hz: much more noisily than OP27, AD797... and family. Not a good solution for us.

                      Bye, Renato

                      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "sm5le" <sm5le@...> wrote:

                      > Tnx Renato. Now I do not need to buy that one !
                      > This summer I will try to measure S.R E-field "polarization" and see if I can grab some more signal. Just tilting a fishingpol or something, Do you think that a stupid idea?
                      > Also I have seen that Analog Devices have a new op. amp. "ADA4528" with no 1/f noise ! I thoght that it was not possible.
                      >
                      > /Sven
                      >
                      > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "renato" <ik1qfk@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi Sven,
                      > > the Velleman PCS10 is not recognized by Windows as a sound resource.
                      > >
                      > > It works only with its software, PCLAB2000SE:
                      > > http://www.velleman.eu/support/downloads/?code=PCS10
                      > >

                      > > Bye, Renato
                      > >

                      > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "sm5le" <sm5le@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Tnx Wolf
                      > > > I will try to contact Velleman and ask them if PCS10 "looks like a soundcard" (I dont think it will).
                      > > > I have opened the EMU-0202 cover ones and closed it immediately :-)
                      > > >
                      > > > My Schumann RX (nr3) works on the bench , it has a 600 Hz ocsilator and baseband frequency modulation down do DC. This work fine with the FM demodulator in SpecLab. But as I said; the D/A (0202-output) does not go to near DC.
                      > > >
                      > > > Here waiting for spring so my S.R. antenna experiment can start. This summer I will test if Scumann E-fiels has any polarization at my sight.
                      > > >
                      > > > 73 Sven

                    • sm5le
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                        OK Renato
                        I was planning to use unsymetric reciever. The reciever is floating with cordles conection.
                        Can I use the ground (on reciever) and conect it to another monopol ?
                        [a cheat symmetry]
                        /Sven

                        --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "renato" <ik1qfk@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Sven,
                        > to detect signal polarization you need a floating receiver, connected with two counterposed monopoles. With a single monopole referred to ground (like with a fishingpool) you detect the vertical component only, always, also if it is place orizontaly: http://www.vlf.it/romero2/dipolo.gif.
                        >
                        > ADA4528 offer a constant input voltage noise density of 7 nV/vHz starting from 1 Hz: much more noisily than OP27, AD797... and family. Not a good solution for us.
                        >
                        > Bye, Renato
                        >

                        > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "sm5le" <sm5le@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Tnx Renato. Now I do not need to buy that one !
                        > > This summer I will try to measure S.R E-field "polarization" and see if I can grab some more signal. Just tilting a fishingpol or something, Do you think that a stupid idea?
                        > > Also I have seen that Analog Devices have a new op. amp. "ADA4528" with no 1/f noise ! I thoght that it was not possible.
                        > >
                        > > /Sven
                        > >
                        > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "renato" <ik1qfk@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi Sven,
                        > > > the Velleman PCS10 is not recognized by Windows as a sound resource.
                        > > >
                        > > > It works only with its software, PCLAB2000SE:
                        > > > http://www.velleman.eu/support/downloads/?code=PCS10
                        > > >

                        > > > Bye, Renato

                      • renato
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                          If receiver, antenna and battery are floating on air it should work.
                          But you can quickly check it: put the all in horizontal position,
                          Schumann Resonances must disappear.

                        • sm5le
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                            OK , fine Renato.
                            But here is still lot of snow and -10 degrees.