192Khz playback problem

  • mux_folder2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013

      I was the one with the B26 droputs. Well, I upgraded my laptop to an HP 6930p with the T9600 processor (2.8Ghz dual core with 1066 FSB and 6MB cache). It has 192Khz built in audio so I thought I would try the softrock SDR with that. I am using 2.78 B30 SpectrumLab. During normal operation, the 192Khz seems to work pretty well. I hear an occasional audio pop but it is not a problem. When I record the I/Q signal at 192Khz and then try to play it back, The playback seems to run at a crazy jerky speed with continous waterfall and audio droputs. At 96Khz the playback is pretty good. I have uploaded my settings files in the file area in the folder TonyC/192Khz. I tried to upload a 35MB audio sample but Yahoo would have none of that. I ended up uploading it to my mediafire accout here:

      http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8h3bqv2q9c4abge

      The new laptop got around most of the issues I was having with dropouts (I still see one every once in a while), even at 192Khz with 65536 FFTs.
      I just can't play back the 192Khz recordings unless I disable the sound playback and only use the waterfall.

      Regards,

      Tony Casorso
    • Mark McCarron
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
        Tony,

        I don't think this is an issue with SpectrumLab.  On a laptop the audio is provided by a chipset and the performance is not great.  Most of the functions are emulated in software by the driver, rather than being hardware based.  Thus, under high CPU use the audio will drop out.

        My recommendation would be to use a desktop machine and invest in an ASUS Xonar Essence ST audio card.  You will then be able to use any SDR with a dynamic range up to 120dB.

        Regards,

        Mark McCarron

        To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
          Hi Mark,

          Like I said in my original post, 192Khz works fine "live". With the radio on and Spectrumlab running at 192Khz with the waterfall and the audio DSP running it only has an occasion click in the speaker. The problem is when I play back a 192Khz recorded file. Since the audio system is the same in both instances, I guess I don't see why it would be the culprit.

          Tony

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
            I also think this is an issue with buffer sizes, and the way SL did synchronize the waterfall display.
            When time permits, I will try to reproduce the problem (I already dowloaded the test file, and it also 'misbehaves' here, on a PC with a soundcard that definitely does *not* support 192 kHz sampling, neither for input nor for output). At the moment, I am too busy from office work and other stuff, so this may take some time - similar as for other topics which have recently been asked here.

            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron wrote:

            > Tony,
            >
            > I don't think this is an issue with SpectrumLab. On a laptop the audio is provided by a chipset and the performance is not great. Most of the functions are emulated in software by the driver, rather than being hardware based. Thus, under high CPU use the audio will drop out.
            >
            > My recommendation would be to use a desktop machine and invest in an ASUS Xonar Essence ST audio card. You will then be able to use any SDR with a dynamic range up to 120dB.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Mark McCarron
            >
            > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
            > From: canthony15@...
            > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:08:39 +0000
            > Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] 192Khz playback problem

            > Hi Wolf,
            >

            > I was the one with the B26 droputs. Well, I upgraded my laptop to an HP 6930p with the T9600 processor (2.8Ghz dual core with 1066 FSB and 6MB cache). It has 192Khz built in audio so I thought I would try the softrock SDR with that. I am using 2.78 B30 SpectrumLab. During normal operation, the 192Khz seems to work pretty well. I hear an occasional audio pop but it is not a problem. When I record the I/Q signal at 192Khz and then try to play it back, The playback seems to run at a crazy jerky speed with continous waterfall and audio droputs. At 96Khz the playback is pretty good. I have uploaded my settings files in the file area in the folder TonyC/192Khz. I tried to upload a 35MB audio sample but Yahoo would have none of that. I ended up uploading it to my mediafire accout here:
            >

            > http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8h3bqv2q9c4abge
            >

            > The new laptop got around most of the issues I was having with dropouts (I still see one every once in a while), even at 192Khz with 65536 FFTs.
            >
            > I just can't play back the 192Khz recordings unless I disable the sound playback and only use the waterfall.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Tony Casorso

          • Mark McCarron
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
              Tony,

              I think Wolf is on the right track.  Disk I/O is over 100 times slower than I/O from memory.  The possible reasons are:

              1.  With the added disk I/O, CPU usage increases.
              2.  The IOPS to the disk exceeds its capability.
              3.  Paging to disk.
              4.  Faulty driver (unlikely)

              The way to figure this out is to run a program already found on your machine called "perfmon".  This allows you to track things that may be causing a bottleneck on your computer.  If you add counters for "Avg. Disk Queue Length" and "Current Disk Queue Length", then try to play back your 192KHz file, we could tell if the drive is the bottle neck.

              There are other counters, things like "Pages/sec" under "Memory" is useful and tends to correlate with high disk queue lengths.

              Anyway play about with perfmon and tell us what you notice.

              Regards,

              Mark McCarron

              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
              From: canthony15@...
              Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:16:31 +0000
              Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: 192Khz playback problem

              Hi Mark,

              Like I said in my original post, 192Khz works fine "live". With the radio on and Spectrumlab running at 192Khz with the waterfall and the audio DSP running it only has an occasion click in the speaker. The problem is when I play back a 192Khz recorded file. Since the audio system is the same in both instances, I guess I don't see why it would be the culprit.

              Tony

              --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, Mark McCarron wrote:

              > Tony,
              >
              > I don't think this is an issue with SpectrumLab. On a laptop the audio is provided by a chipset and the performance is not great. Most of the functions are emulated in software by the driver, rather than being hardware based. Thus, under high CPU use the audio will drop out.
              >
              > My recommendation would be to use a desktop machine and invest in an ASUS Xonar Essence ST audio card. You will then be able to use any SDR with a dynamic range up to 120dB.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Mark McCarron
              >
              > To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
              > From: canthony15@...
              > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:08:39 +0000
              > Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] 192Khz playback problem

              > Hi Wolf,
              >

              > I was the one with the B26 droputs. Well, I upgraded my laptop to an HP 6930p with the T9600 processor (2.8Ghz dual core with 1066 FSB and 6MB cache). It has 192Khz built in audio so I thought I would try the softrock SDR with that. I am using 2.78 B30 SpectrumLab. During normal operation, the 192Khz seems to work pretty well. I hear an occasional audio pop but it is not a problem. When I record the I/Q signal at 192Khz and then try to play it back, The playback seems to run at a crazy jerky speed with continous waterfall and audio droputs. At 96Khz the playback is pretty good. I have uploaded my settings files in the file area in the folder TonyC/192Khz. I tried to upload a 35MB audio sample but Yahoo would have none of that. I ended up uploading it to my mediafire accout here:
              >

              > http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8h3bqv2q9c4abge
              >

              > The new laptop got around most of the issues I was having with dropouts (I still see one every once in a while), even at 192Khz with 65536 FFTs.
              >
              > I just can't play back the 192Khz recordings unless I disable the sound playback and only use the waterfall.
              >

              > Regards,
              >

              > Tony Casorso

            • mux_folder2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013

                I have been trying to find some settings that help this problem. I find that going back to 2.75 B09 seems to eliminate all issues with 192Khz.

                Tony