Issue Resizing Waterfall

  • Mark McCarron
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
      Hi,

      I am running Spectrum Lab under Windows Server 2012 which is the same code-base as Windows 8.  Resizing the window results in only the few few centimeters of the waterfall resizing.  The rest of the waterfall is left in a stale condition almost as though the wrong area has been invalidated.

      Further, when changing the colors of the waterfall, it only updates the same small region.  See the following image, where I change the size and the colour.

      http://i.imgur.com/9SQKMEf.jpg

      Regards,

      Mark McCarron
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
        Hello Mark,

        When resizing the window, or changing anything which causes the waterfall being repainted, is limited to the number of FFTs which are buffered in memory.
        The buffer size can be customized, and there is an indicator (in the configuration dialog) which shows how many lines can actually be repainted. This ensures that spectrum lab cannot turn into a 'memory hog' when it runs unattended in a remote installation.

        I don't think this is related to the windows version - it's just the safe default configuration, which doesn't cause problems on PCs with limited resources.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013

          Thanks for your help.  I went to the Memory settings tab and increased it to 512.  This had no effect on the waterfall.  You can see this here:

          http://i.imgur.com/xSMairD.jpg

          Just to double check, I changed it to 1024 and retested.  There was no change.  I also cleared the buffers just in case.  This is a pic of 1024, as you can see it is no different:

          http://i.imgur.com/JMxoGZB.jpg

          Is it a bug?

          Regards,

          Mark McCarron

          To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
            Hi Mark,

            The 'Spectrum Buffer Size' is one of the settings which become effective only after restarting.

            I just checked it (with a deliberately small buffer), and everything worked as expected.
            Running Windows XP here.

            Not sure if the screenshot gets through the yahoo thing, thus:

            The spectrum buffer size is entered in MByte (here one). The resulting number of waterfall lines (which can be buffered) depends on the FFT size. Here, with a 2048-point FFT, the result was a 113-line buffer. And this is exactly the number of lines on the waterfall which can be repainted after resizing, or modifying the waterfall brightness / contrast.

            Wolf,

            To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013

              That fixed it thanks.

              Regards,

              Mark McCarron

              To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013

                I found an issue.  The method you gave works fine until the waterfall has been running for about 30mins or so.  Then we suddenly the bottom third of the lines no longer update when zooming or resizing.  Its almost like the buffer is too small again.  Is there a memory leak or does part of the buffer become inaccessible???

                Clearing the buffer does not resolve the issue.

                Any ideas?

                Regards,

                Mark McCarron

                To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com
                From: mark.mccarron@...
                Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:12:43 +0000

                Wolf,

                That fixed it thanks.

                Regards,

                Mark McCarron

                To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
                  I found the issue.  If the FFT input size is increased, then the buffer must be increased also.

                  Regards,

                  Mark McCarron

                  To: spectrumlabusers@yahoogroups.com

                  From: mark.mccarron@...
                  Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:12:43 +0000

                  Wolf,

                  That fixed it thanks.

                  Regards,

                  Mark McCarron

                  To: SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013
                    > > Further, when changing the colors of the waterfall, it only updates
                    > > the same small region. See the following image, where I change the
                    > > size and the colour.
                    > >
                    > > http://i.imgur.com/9SQKMEf.jpg

                    Wolf,
                    can you please clear the area of the waterfall window that is not painted by
                    the waterfall. Especially when dragging the freq-axis left/right the window can
                    get very irritating when there are left overs that have no more meaning.

                    It should be cleared after each user change.

                    Jurgen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013
                      Hello Jurgen,

                      I can add an option for that, but I don't want to make it mandatory to have the 'old' part of the spectrogram cleared just because the parameters or window size has been changed. It often helps to actually see the part with the *old* contrast/brightness settings still visible in the lower part of the screen, while the upper is repainted with the new settings.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013
                        Hello Wolf,

                        > I can add an option for that, but I don't want to make it mandatory to
                        > have the 'old' part of the spectrogram cleared just because the
                        > parameters or window size has been changed. It often helps to actually
                        > see the part with the *old* contrast/brightness settings still visible
                        > in the lower part of the screen, while the upper is repainted with the
                        > new settings.

                        Ok, an option would be the best solution to cover both worlds.

                        Jurgen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 12, 2013
                          Ok - uploaded as 'beta' (V2.78 b30) to the website:

                          http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab_beta.zip

                          There's a new checkmark on the first page of the 'display settings' :

                          "Clear non-buffered WF area" (space too limited for a descriptive label, as usual).

                          When checked, the part of the waterfall for which there are no FFTs available in the buffer will be cleared, i.e. filled with the background colour for the waterfall area.

                          So far, only tested with the default setting, in "scrolling" waterfall mode.

                          Hello Wolf,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
                            > There's a new checkmark on the first page of the 'display settings' :
                            >
                            > "Clear non-buffered WF area" (space too limited for a descriptive label,
                            > as usual).
                            >
                            > When checked, the part of the waterfall for which there are no FFTs
                            > available in the buffer will be cleared, i.e. filled with the background
                            > colour for the waterfall area.
                            >
                            > So far, only tested with the default setting, in "scrolling" waterfall mode.

                            Same mode here, and it works nicely.
                            Thanks !!

                            Jurgen