Re: 2.78 B26 scroll dropouts

  • mux_folder2001
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 7, 2013

      Well, I have tried two more sound cards, including the internal one and they all do this. I have been playing with every setting I can find and nothing seems to fix the problem. I found that increasing the "audio chunk size" by a small amount and then clicking 'apply", the problem would go away for about a minute and the start again with a dropout about every 12 seconds.

      It also seems that the problem takes a minute or two to develop after starting SpectrumLab. It is like a buffer is filling up and then the problems start.

      Tony

      --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, wolf_dl4yhf wrote:

      > Hello Tony,
      >
      > Thanks for the image. The problem may be related to the time source
      > itself, which was one of the changes between V2.75 and V2.78. The older
      > versions retrieved data from a buffer (to feed the FFTs for the
      > spectrogram) based on the number of samples, while the newer versions
      > use the precise timestamps. If there's a gap in the timestamps, there's
      > a gap in the spectrogram. This may be caused by the configurable 'time
      > source', even though someone mentioned having tested all options but
      > none of them cured it.
      > Anyway, if the soundcard's sampling rate is too far off, the timestamps
      > (when based on the sampling clock) may be off too far after the program
      > was running for some time. If the difference between the sample-based
      > time, and the PC's system time exceeds a certain value the timing resets
      > automatically (usually with an entry in the error log). I will try
      > myself by deliberately entering a 'very wrong' sampling rate in the SR
      > calibration table, and see what happens.
      >

      > Cheers,
      > Wolf .
      >
      > Am 07.02.2013 02:42, schrieb mux_folder2001:
      > >
      > > Referring to file in folder "TonyC" called dropout.jpg:
      > >
      > > I have uploaded a side by side of 2.78 and 2.75 listening to the same
      > > NDB. 2.78 shows a dropout at about the 44 Second tick mark while 2.75
      > > does not. You can also see the timestamps pushed together. The beacon
      > > is TAD which isn't displaying too well because of the contrast being
      > > set too high.
      > >
      > > Tony

    • mux_folder2001
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 10, 2013

        B27 with a chunk size of 100ms seems to work better for me than this new version.

        With the new one, if I switch on recording, the dropouts come back. Also, with recording on or off I get occasional clicking in the speaker. B27 with 100ms chunks seems to work well.