Active antenna connection to soundcard input

  • eskopetaja@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hello

      I am New to this group.

      I have active antenna

      http://active-antenna.eu/

      Shouls i connect it directly to sound card input or
      using capacitor between antenna and sound card line input ?

      Best Regards
      Esko Petäjä
      OH6MQM
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
        Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Active antenna connection to soundcard input

        >I have active antenna

        http://active-antenna.eu/

        >Shouls i connect it directly to sound card input or
        using capacitor between antenna and sound card line input ?

        Esko,

        What do you expect to be using this for?
        This antenna does not seem suitable for use with a soundcard. It is specified to be useful from 20KHz but is only tested from 50KHz.
        Of course some soundcards will work up to 96KHz.
        If that is what you want then a direct connection should do no harm. The input of a soundcard is capacitively coupled and in any
        case there will be no voltage on the output of the amplifier.

        Alan G4ZFQ
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
          Hello Esko, Alan, and the group,

          Alan wrote:

          What do you expect to be using this for?
          This antenna does not seem suitable for use with a soundcard. It is specified to be useful from 20KHz but is only tested from 50KHz.
          Of course some soundcards will work up to 96KHz.
          If that is what you want then a direct connection should do no harm. The input of a soundcard is capacitively coupled and in any
          case there will be no voltage on the output of the amplifier.

          True, if you happen to be in the lucky position to have a soundcard with a true "Line" input.
          On most laptops, there is only a combined microphone / line input, and a small DC voltage is coupled to the center conductor to feed the amplifier inside an electret microphone. But even shorting such an input to ground will do no harm. Only connecting it to a higher DC voltage externally (say 12 or 24 V) may cause trouble.

          A simple active E-field proble (like the 'PA0RDT miniwhip') may work as well, depending on the environment. In my case, connecting a GPA 30 (ancient groundplane antenna for shortwave) directly to the soundcard gave better reception of worldwide VLF transmitters than an active E-field antenna at the same location.

        • eskopetaja@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
            Hello Alan

            I have just started to work with spectrumlab.
            I have this antenna for other HAM purposed and was planning to
            start with this.

            As Final purpose I have planned to monitor Solar SID monitoring VLF stations.

            May for this wire loop antenna is best. (My findings from google) ?

            Br. Esko P

          • eskopetaja@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
              Hello Wolf

              A simple active E-field proble (like the 'PA0RDT miniwhip') may work as well

              Thanks from hint. I also have that but i did not thinkt it as VLF antenna. It ís so small...

              I will try.

              Br. Esko P

              > Hello Esko, Alan, and the group,
              >
              > Alan wrote:
              >

              > > What do you expect to be using this for?
              > > This antenna does not seem suitable for use with a soundcard. It is
              > > specified to be useful from 20KHz but is only tested from 50KHz.
              > > Of course some soundcards will work up to 96KHz.
              > > If that is what you want then a direct connection should do no harm.
              > > The input of a soundcard is capacitively coupled and in any
              > > case there will be no voltage on the output of the amplifier.
              > >

              > True, if you happen to be in the lucky position to have a soundcard with
              > a true "Line" input.
              > On most laptops, there is only a combined microphone / line input, and a
              > small DC voltage is coupled to the center conductor to feed the
              > amplifier inside an electret microphone. But even shorting such an input
              > to ground will do no harm. Only connecting it to a higher DC voltage
              > externally (say 12 or 24 V) may cause trouble.
              >
              > A simple active E-field proble (like the 'PA0RDT miniwhip') may work as
              > well, depending on the environment. In my case, connecting a GPA 30
              > (ancient groundplane antenna for shortwave) directly to the soundcard
              > gave better reception of worldwide VLF transmitters than an active
              > E-field antenna at the same location.

            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
                Hi Esko,

                As I've mentioned before on the forum, my antenna is just a 2m diameter loop of
                SCART cable with all the cores wired in series - works fine just plugged directly into the mic input
                of my PC.....

                Mark
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013

                  > True, if you happen to be in the lucky position to have a soundcard with
                  > a true "Line" input.
                  > On most laptops, there is only a combined microphone / line input, and a
                  > small DC voltage is coupled to the center conductor to feed the
                  > amplifier inside an electret microphone. But even shorting such an input
                  > to ground will do no harm. Only connecting it to a higher DC voltage
                  > externally (say 12 or 24 V) may cause trouble.

                  Wolf,

                  I had not thought of that.
                  I do have a netbook and like many modern laptops it has an input that can be configured either as a mic input or stereo line input.
                  I have a few notes here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/sdronasus

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ