Signal Track

  • w3jdr
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
      Is there a way to put a marker on a signal and then 'track' it such that the signal stay's centered in the spectrum display even if its frequency drifts?

      Joe
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
        Not really. It would also be extremely difficult to implement a really robust 'tracker'. What would happen if the signal disappears (in QSB), and two or even more equally strong signals appear in the neighbourhoor ?
        The human eye / brain combination will easily discover the signal on a spectrogram again (by its keying, modulation sidebands, etc) but for a machine this kind of pattern recognition is very difficult or prone to errors. So I wouldn't try this myself.

        Greetings,
           Wolf .

        Am 15.11.2012 19:34, schrieb w3jdr:

        Is there a way to put a marker on a signal and then 'track' it such that the signal stay's centered in the spectrum display even if its frequency drifts?

        Joe

      • Joe Rocci
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
          Thanks for the reply Wolf.

          It's a feature that I've grown to love on my HP8568 analyzer. I don't know how they do it, but it's very useful, for instance, for looking at noise & jitter on a drifty VFO.

          Thanks
          Joe
          W3JDR