Suggestion for Feature - Pre-Defined Window Size(s)

  • Mart
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012

      As you know, a group of "meteor detection enthusiasts" I belong to make extensive use of SL for displaying meteor detections grabbed on 2D and on 3D screens.

      Our group leader is trying to standardise the data supplied by members of the group in order to make the data collection more "scientific".

      The considerable number of user-definable parameters built in to SL make this very possible.

      However, one feature we would like to consider is to standardise the size (in pixels) of the screen grabs we are producing, and although there appears to be window size parameters in the configuration files we have not found a reliable method of fixing/locking down this particular parameter.

      Would it be possible to offer, perhaps in a drop-down list or similar a range of pre-defined (plus "Custom" of course!) of window sizes, e.g 1024 x 768, 800 x 600, etc?

      I gather from reading elsewhere on this list that "windows" are not a trivial issue - I am referring to comments about multiple monitors, etc.

      Still, I hope you think this is worthy of consideration

      Kind regards

      Martin
    • edgar
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
        Hi Martin,
                     This is how I set the captured image size in Spectrum Lab for 2D screen captures.

        In the Periodic actions include.

        Or program a button.

        I hope this helps.

        Regards Edgar
        Moonah, Tasmania.

      • edgar
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
          Hi,
          The images may not have appeared in my reply.

          Note this is for a horizontal waterfall.

          In Periodic actions, I use.

          window.width=window.width + 1440 - water.lines:window.height=280:capture

          The waterfall size is set before capturing.

          In a button

          window.width=window.width + 1440 - water.lines:window.height=280

          The 1440 is set for the waterfall width.

          The 280 is changed for the image height is as required.

          The scale and spectrum widths are set in the Spectrum Display settings.

          Regards Edgar
          Moonah, Tasmania.
        • Mart
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
            Thanks Edgar, that's given me plenty to work with - I'll report back my results in case they may be of interest to others.

            Cheers

            Martin

            --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, edgar <edgarjtwining@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > The images may not have appeared in my reply.
            >
            > Note this is for a horizontal waterfall.
            >
            > In Periodic actions, I use.
            >
            > window.width=window.width + 1440 - water.lines:window.height=280:capture
            >
            > The waterfall size is set before capturing.
            >
            > In a button
            >
            > window.width=window.width + 1440 - water.lines:window.height=280
            >
            > The 1440 is set for the waterfall width.
            >
            > The 280 is changed for the image height is as required.
            >
            > The scale and spectrum widths are set in the Spectrum Display settings.
            >
            > Regards Edgar
            > Moonah, Tasmania.

          • Mart
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
              Thanks again Edgar,

              Adding the line

              window.width=1024:window.height=768

              before the "capture" command in Periodic Actions has achieved exactly what I was looking for.

              With the screen set up for no "Controls on left side" and "Hide menu and title ..." selected, the screen grabs sent via FTP are indeed 1024x768 pixels.

              Brilliantly simple, and many thanks once again.

              Martin