Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: Running Spectrum Lab in 'debug' mode

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 26, 2012
      Greetings all,

      Well the Optiplex 990 is said to have an analog input, but being able to listen to music with it doesn't mean a lot.

      > As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound
      programs,
      > and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I
      type this.

      That only means it has an audio output device (with D/A converter inside), but doesn't mean anything about input devices (with A/D converter inside).

      As far as I understand it, Windows 7 treats every input as an own audio device (much in contrast to the trusty old Windows XP, where one soundcard = one audio device, regardless of how many 'input lines' (mic, line-in, cd-player) it had. And, those devices were always 'visible' to the software.

      If you have, you could plug some other audio *input* device (like an USB "microphone") into the laptop, and see what happens.
      As long as the windows function 'waveInGetNumDevs()' reports there are *no* (zero) wave-input-devices on your machine, we're out of luck, and I have no idea why it behaves this way. Because this is what Spectrum Lab uses internally, to find out if (and how many) such devices are available. The result returned by waveInGetNumDevs() is also what SL now reports in the debug-run-log. As long as the result is 0 (zero devices available), we're out of the game.

      Am 27.10.2012 00:14, schrieb john_s_colton:

      The only "soundcard" I have is the built-in capability of the motherboard. (This is a standard Dell computer, in case I didn't mention that before. Optiplex 990.)

      I tried disabling my antivirus program just now (Symantec Endpoint Protection), but the same error message occurred.

      As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound programs, and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I type this.

      If you're out of ideas, I guess we'll table this for now. Let me know if you think of anything else.

      Thanks for trying!

      John

> [...]
      > in a 'Sandbox', preventing access to most devices ? This is pure
      > speculation, of course. The antivirus software used here (avast) once
      > suggested to run a program which it didn't know in a sandbox. Maybe a
      > similar issue ?
      >
      > On my Windows 7 PC, Spectrum Lab runs without problems even without
      > admin privileges, and it can access all audio devices (the internal
      > onboard 'soundcard' as well as external devices plugged via USB). So I'm
      > a bit lost at this point. Hoping for suggestions from other users, with
      > more windows (7 / Vista) experience than myself.
      >

      > Am 26.10.2012 00:46, schrieb john_s_colton:
      > >

      > > Oh, OK. I installed the new version on top of the old version,
      > > overwriting files as prompted. I ran it in debug mode. Here's the most
      > > applicable section:
      > >
      > > 22:42:49.0 Initialising audio devices..
      > > 22:42:49.0 InitAudioDevices, IN: DeviceName='-1' -> DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:49.0 InitAudioDevices, OUT: DeviceName='-1' ->
      > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:49.0 Opening or re-opening audio device for input
      > > 22:42:49.0 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID('-1'): Enumerating wave-input
      > > devices. Windows reports 0 :
      > > 22:42:49.0 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID: No perfect match; best bet is
      > > device #-1 = '' .
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: Trying to open "", ID #-1, 11025 Hz, 16
      > > bit, 1 channel(s), for input.
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: waveInOpen failed. Trying again to open
      > > audio device for input, using WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: Failed to open multimedia audio device for
      > > input
      > > 22:42:49.0 Back from SoundDev->InOpen, result=2
      > > 22:42:49.0 Sound devices started
      > > 22:42:49.0 Back from InitAudioDevices .
      > > 22:42:51.3 Initialising audio devices..
      > > 22:42:51.3 InitAudioDevices, IN: DeviceName='-1' -> DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:51.3 InitAudioDevices, OUT: DeviceName='-1' ->
      > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:51.3 Opening or re-opening audio device for input
      > > 22:42:51.3 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID('-1'): Enumerating wave-input
      > > devices. Windows reports 0 :
      > > 22:42:51.3 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID: No perfect match; best bet is
      > > device #-1 = '' .
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: Trying to open "", ID #-1, 11025 Hz, 16
      > > bit, 1 channel(s), for input.
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: waveInOpen failed. Trying again to open
      > > audio device for input, using WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: Failed to open multimedia audio device for
      > > input
      > > 22:42:51.3 Back from SoundDev->InOpen, result=2
      > > 22:42:51.3 Sound devices started
      > > 22:42:51.3 Back from InitAudioDevices .
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:SpectrumLabUsers%40yahoogroups.com>, wolf_dl4yhf <dl4yhf@>
      > > wrote:

      > > > Ignore the text on the webpage. I simply didn't update that page yet,

    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 27, 2012
        > Well the Optiplex 990 is said to have an analog input, but being able to
        > listen to music with it doesn't mean a lot.
        >
        > > As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound programs,
        > > and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I type this.
        >
        > That only means it has an audio output device (with D/A converter
        > inside), but doesn't mean anything about input devices (with A/D
        > converter inside).

        Try recording with RecAllPro (30 days trial)

        Goto Options / Preferences / Driver
        what Audio-In and -Out Devices are listed?

        http://www.sagebrush.com/recpro.htm

        Jurgen
      • john_s_colton
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 27, 2012
          I've got a microphone input, but since I was interested in using this particular computer just for the function generator capability of Spectrum Lab (audio output only), I don't have any microphone currently hooked up. Are you saying that I cannot use SL as a function generator to produce audio if I don't have any audio inputs? That seems odd.

          Anyway, I will try to track down a microphone to make sure that the microphone input on this computer actually works (I've never use it yet), and assuming it does I'll see if SL functions with the microphone connected.

          John

> [...]
          > > > wrong there. Could it be some anti-virus software running Spectrum Lab
          > > > in a 'Sandbox', preventing access to most devices ? This is pure
          > > > speculation, of course. The antivirus software used here (avast) once
          > > > suggested to run a program which it didn't know in a sandbox. Maybe a
          > > > similar issue ?
          > > >
          > > > On my Windows 7 PC, Spectrum Lab runs without problems even without
          > > > admin privileges, and it can access all audio devices (the internal
          > > > onboard 'soundcard' as well as external devices plugged via USB). So
          > > I'm
          > > > a bit lost at this point. Hoping for suggestions from other users, with
          > > > more windows (7 / Vista) experience than myself.

          > > most

          > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
          > > DeviceType=Soundcard .

          > > <mailto:SpectrumLabUsers%40yahoogroups.com>

        • kd7ts
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 27, 2012
            On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:17:11 -0700, john_s_colton <john_colton@...>
            wrote:

            > I've got a microphone input, but since I was interested in using this
            > particular computer just for the function generator capability of
            > Spectrum Lab (audio output only), I don't have any microphone currently
            > hooked up. Are you saying that I cannot use SL as a function generator
            > to produce audio if I don't have any audio inputs? That seems odd.
            > Anyway, I will try to track down a microphone to make sure that the
            > microphone input on this computer actually works (I've never use it
            > yet), and assuming it does I'll see if SL functions with the microphone
            > connected.
            > John

            John, according to my research the Optiplex 990 uses a Realtek ALC269 chip
            for its audio functions. You can read a short description of it here:

            http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-datasheet.php?datasheet=ALC269

            basically it says ....

            The ALC269 is a High Definition Audio Codec that integrates a 2+2-channel
            DAC, a 4-channel ADC, and a Class-D Speaker Amplifier.

            The 2+2-channel DAC supports two independent stereo sound outputs
            simultaneously. The 4-channel ADC integrates two stereo and independent
            analog sound inputs (multiple streaming).

            The ALC269 incorporates Realtek converter technology to achieve a 98dB
            dynamic range playback quality and a 98dB dynamic range recording quality.
            It meets the current WLP3.10 (Windows Logo Program) and future WLP
            requirements.

            The ALC269 also supports stereo digital microphone channels (microphone
            array) with Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Beam Forming (BF), and Noise
            Suppression (NS) technology simultaneously, significantly improving voice
            quality for PC VoIP applications.

            As well as basic audio functions, the ALC269 has two independent S/PDIF
            outputs; one could be used to connect a PC to high-quality consumer
            electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers, the other could
            provide a dedicated digital output to a HDMI transmitter (common in high
            end PCs).

            There are three integrated power amplifiers. The first is a linear
            headphone amplifier at port C. The second headphone amplifier at port A
            removes the need for external DC blocking capacitors, eliminating pop
            noise caused by these capacitors. The third is an integrated stereo
            Class-D amplifier to directly drive a mini-speaker. The Class-D amplifier
            is designed to drive speakers with as low as 4Ω impedance. Its maximum
            output power is 2.3W per channel at 5V power supply. The advantage of an
            integrated Class-D amplifier in the ALC269 is high efficiency with low
            power consumption.

            The ALC269 integrates five hardware equalizer bands composed of one
            low-pass filter, one high-pass filter, and three band-pass filters to
            compensate for mini-speaker frequency response. All the equalizer filters
            are programmable via the BIOS, allowing the equalizer to function without
            the need to customize the audio driver.

            The data sheet is also linked on the page.

            There are 4 models of the 990 and it appears they all have expansion slots
            that would allow adding a sound card.

            here is a link to the desk top version

            http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-990/pd
          • john_s_colton
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 30, 2012
              OK, I tracked down a microphone that I could plug into the microphone input. And SpectrumLab works fine! (much rejoicing)

              Interestingly enough, if I unplug the microphone while, for example, playing a tone with the function generator, then it stops immediately and gives me the error message. Plug the microphone back in, and it works again.

              So, in summary--the problem was that (a) Windows reports that there are no audio input devices when an external microphone isn't physically plugged in, and (b) SpectrumLab refuses to do anything when it thinks there are no audio input devices.

              Since (a) is something we can't change, and if I recall correctly Wolf said it's a difference between WinXP and Windows7, I would recommend to Wolf that you change (b). That is, in the next revision please allow the audio output features of SpectrumLab to function even if no audio input devices are found.

              Thanks again for all the help, and I think this wraps up this thread.

              John

              --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "john_s_colton" <john_colton@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > motherboard. (This is a standard Dell computer, in case I didn't
              > > > mention that before. Optiplex 990.)
              > > >
              > > > I tried disabling my antivirus program just now (Symantec Endpoint
              > > > Protection), but the same error message occurred.
              > > >
              > > > As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound programs,
              > > > and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I type this.
              > > >
              > > > If you're out of ideas, I guess we'll table this for now. Let me know
              > > > if you think of anything else.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for trying!
              > > >
              > > > John
              > > >
              > > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
              > > > <mailto:SpectrumLabUsers%40yahoogroups.com>, wolf_dl4yhf <dl4yhf@>

              > > > I'm

              > > > most

              > > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
              > > > DeviceType=Soundcard .

              > > > <mailto:SpectrumLabUsers%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 30, 2012
                Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: Running Spectrum Lab in 'debug' mode

                > Since (a) is something we can't change, and if I recall correctly Wolf said it's a difference between WinXP and Windows7, I would
                > recommend to Wolf that you change (b). That is, in the next revision please allow the audio output features of SpectrumLab to
                > function even if no audio input devices are found.
                >
                > Thanks again for all the help, and I think this wraps up this thread.

                John,

                I was going to comment but I thought you must have tried it with plugs in!

                It's nothing to do with Windows.
                Modern mother board sockets have an extra contact that tells the soundcard driver whether there is anything plugged in. We get
                frustrating popups telling us something has been inserted.
                When there is nothing plugged in that socket is disabled and Windows does not see it.
                I can't help feeling this could really upset things if something is setup with nothing in the motherboard socket, then the computer
                restarted with something inserted.
                I only have one computer like that which I do not use regularly. I suggest fitting permanent extension leads in those sockets. Or
                hack the motherboard so it thinks something is inserted.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • john_s_colton
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 30, 2012
                  Alan,

                  Thanks for the comments. I hadn't tried it with anything plugged in, since (at the time) I only wanted Spectrum Lab to produce output rather than analyze input. I didn't realize until just a couple of days ago that the lack of an input source would prevent Spectrum Lab from functioning as a function generator.

                  John

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  >
                  > I was going to comment but I thought you must have tried it with plugs in!
                  >
                  > It's nothing to do with Windows.
                  > Modern mother board sockets have an extra contact that tells the soundcard driver whether there is anything plugged in. We get
                  > frustrating popups telling us something has been inserted.
                  > When there is nothing plugged in that socket is disabled and Windows does not see it.
                  > I can't help feeling this could really upset things if something is setup with nothing in the motherboard socket, then the computer
                  > restarted with something inserted.
                  > I only have one computer like that which I do not use regularly. I suggest fitting permanent extension leads in those sockets. Or
                  > hack the motherboard so it thinks something is inserted.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 30, 2012

                    > I didn't realize until just a couple of days ago that the lack of an input source would prevent Spectrum Lab from functioning as
                    > a function generator.

                    John,

                    Oh yes! That's why I did not say anything. I thought the same as you.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Jurgen Bartels
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 30, 2012
                      > Thanks for the comments. I hadn't tried it with anything plugged in, since (at
                      > the time) I only wanted Spectrum Lab to produce output rather than analyze

                      Usually you can set up in your soundcard properties if it should react on the
                      plugin-switch or not. Just disable that switch.

                      Jurgen