SpecLab setting question regarding timezone and counter.

  • myav6000
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
      1. I downloaded the latest version (v2.78 b16) to a laptop previously installed an older version (v2.76 b8). Would coexisting the 2 versions cause interference in any way if I only open one of them at a time?
      The periodic capture works fine in the older vesion but it fails to work in the latest version, any suggestions?

      2. The timezone(GMT+8 here) for the capture image appears right for the grid but not corrected for the tool bar on the left and the one beside the color palette indicator (on capture image, which in older version works perfectly).

      3. Is there a way to replace the current time on the grid to some designated timestamp without messing with the computer time setting, making it sort of like a stopwatch.

      Thanks in advance!

      Ken
    • myav6000
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
        It's been a fews days since I posted my questions, if anyone is kind enough to
        point the solution to my questions please shed a light, much appreciated.
        Cheers,
        Ken
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
          Hello Ken,

          Your question is not forgotten.. I just didn't have the time yet to reproduce a problem with it.
          In the recent versions, Spectrum Lab asks windows for date+time in UTC, and adds a user-defineable offset (for the *display*) to it. That offset can either be set manually (under "Options"..System Settings..Timezone..), or you can set the option 'get timezone information from system'. In the latter case, the *display* should use your local time (including daylight saving, depending on the windoze system configuration).

          But *internally*, for logged files, and everywhere except for the display, Spectrum Lab uses, and will always use, UTC.

          Are the times shown on the panel described below ok on your PC ?

          http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/settings.htm#timezone

          Greetings,
            Wolf .

          Am 26.10.2012 04:55, schrieb myav6000:

          It's been a fews days since I posted my questions, if anyone is kind enough to point the solution to my questions please she a light, much appreciated.
          Cheers,
          Ken

        • Alan
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
            Subject: [SpectrumLabUsers] SpecLab setting question regarding timezone and counter.

            > Hi Wolf,
            > Would coexisting the 2 versions cause interference in any way if I only open one of them at a time?
            > The periodic capture works fine in the older vesion but it fails to work in the latest version, any suggestions?

            Ken,
            I see Wolf missed this. I install many instances of SpecLab in different folders and they run completely independently at the same
            time.
            I think it is actually possible to run a second instance of one installation but I have never tried.

            The periodic capture works here. (Compiled Oct 25)

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Jurgen Bartels
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
              > I think it is actually possible to run a second instance of one installation
              > but I have never tried.

              Yes use this cmd-line param for instance 2
              /inst=2

              Jurgen
            • myav6000
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
                Thanks for your reply.
                I've been successfully generated the capture with correct timezone(i.e GMT+8 for me). If there is a way to alter the real time to some other designated time, for example starting from 00:00:00 like a stopwatch instead of following the real time on the PC?

                Meanhile the periodic funation for the latest version still won't work in my PC, even if I remove the older version (in which it works flawlessly).

                Thanks for your attention.

                Ken

                > Hello Ken,
                >
                > Your question is not forgotten.. I just didn't have the time yet to
                > reproduce a problem with it.
                > In the recent versions, Spectrum Lab asks windows for date+time in UTC,
                > and adds a user-defineable offset (for the *display*) to it. That offset
                > can either be set manually (under "Options"..System
                > Settings..Timezone..), or you can set the option 'get timezone
                > information from system'. In the latter case, the *display* should use
                > your local time (including daylight saving, depending on the windoze
                > system configuration).
                >
                > But *internally*, for logged files, and everywhere except for the
                > display, Spectrum Lab uses, and will always use, UTC.
                >
                > Are the times shown on the panel described below ok on your PC ?
                >
                > http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/speclab/settings.htm#timezone
                >

                > Greetings,
                > Wolf .
                >
                > Am 26.10.2012 04:55, schrieb myav6000:
                > >

                > > It's been a fews days since I posted my questions, if anyone is kind
                > > enough to point the solution to my questions please she a light, much
                > > appreciated.
                > > Cheers,
                > > Ken

              • myav6000
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
                  Thanks for your reply :)
                  In my PC the latter working specLab program appears fine except the color palette which it returns the the default instead of the custom one I favor using, that's why I asked if coexisting specLab programs cause issues.

                  Regards,
                  Ken

                  --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

> [...]
                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012

                    > In my PC the latter working specLab program appears fine except the color palette which it returns the the default instead of the
                    > custom one I favor using, that's why I asked if coexisting specLab programs cause issues.

                    Ken,

                    Is this Windows 7?
                    It is possible you have problems with the installation.
                    Read the Help files regarding the situation of the data files.
                    Better, do not allow SL to install in "Program Files" and keep everything in that Folder.
                    Eg C:\Other Programs\SpecLab

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • myav6000
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 26, 2012
                      Alan, thanks for the helping hand.
                      Yes I'm mainly running i under win7.
                      I know from help file that installing under "Program Files" can cause issues so I just put it under C:\speclab .

                      On a side note I'm trying to introduce this to others that were intrigued to use speclab, mainly for monitoring the signals in the bluray/dvd. My older version of speclab works fine but not on the latest version. After all the problems are solved I'm starting a dummy's guide (in mandarin Chinese) of speclab on monitoring signals on A/V softwares. It's great to have this site for support :)

                      Best Regards,