1027Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: Running Spectrum Lab in 'debug' mode

  • kd7ts
    Oct 27, 2012
      On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:17:11 -0700, john_s_colton <john_colton@...>
      wrote:

      > I've got a microphone input, but since I was interested in using this
      > particular computer just for the function generator capability of
      > Spectrum Lab (audio output only), I don't have any microphone currently
      > hooked up. Are you saying that I cannot use SL as a function generator
      > to produce audio if I don't have any audio inputs? That seems odd.
      > Anyway, I will try to track down a microphone to make sure that the
      > microphone input on this computer actually works (I've never use it
      > yet), and assuming it does I'll see if SL functions with the microphone
      > connected.
      > John

      John, according to my research the Optiplex 990 uses a Realtek ALC269 chip
      for its audio functions. You can read a short description of it here:

      http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-datasheet.php?datasheet=ALC269

      basically it says ....

      The ALC269 is a High Definition Audio Codec that integrates a 2+2-channel
      DAC, a 4-channel ADC, and a Class-D Speaker Amplifier.

      The 2+2-channel DAC supports two independent stereo sound outputs
      simultaneously. The 4-channel ADC integrates two stereo and independent
      analog sound inputs (multiple streaming).

      The ALC269 incorporates Realtek converter technology to achieve a 98dB
      dynamic range playback quality and a 98dB dynamic range recording quality.
      It meets the current WLP3.10 (Windows Logo Program) and future WLP
      requirements.

      The ALC269 also supports stereo digital microphone channels (microphone
      array) with Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Beam Forming (BF), and Noise
      Suppression (NS) technology simultaneously, significantly improving voice
      quality for PC VoIP applications.

      As well as basic audio functions, the ALC269 has two independent S/PDIF
      outputs; one could be used to connect a PC to high-quality consumer
      electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers, the other could
      provide a dedicated digital output to a HDMI transmitter (common in high
      end PCs).

      There are three integrated power amplifiers. The first is a linear
      headphone amplifier at port C. The second headphone amplifier at port A
      removes the need for external DC blocking capacitors, eliminating pop
      noise caused by these capacitors. The third is an integrated stereo
      Class-D amplifier to directly drive a mini-speaker. The Class-D amplifier
      is designed to drive speakers with as low as 4Ω impedance. Its maximum
      output power is 2.3W per channel at 5V power supply. The advantage of an
      integrated Class-D amplifier in the ALC269 is high efficiency with low
      power consumption.

      The ALC269 integrates five hardware equalizer bands composed of one
      low-pass filter, one high-pass filter, and three band-pass filters to
      compensate for mini-speaker frequency response. All the equalizer filters
      are programmable via the BIOS, allowing the equalizer to function without
      the need to customize the audio driver.

      The data sheet is also linked on the page.

      There are 4 models of the 990 and it appears they all have expansion slots
      that would allow adding a sound card.

      here is a link to the desk top version

      http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-990/pd
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic