1024Re: [SpectrumLabUsers] Re: Running Spectrum Lab in 'debug' mode

    Oct 26, 2012
      Greetings all,

      Well the Optiplex 990 is said to have an analog input, but being able to listen to music with it doesn't mean a lot.

      > As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound
      programs,
      > and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I
      type this.

      That only means it has an audio output device (with D/A converter inside), but doesn't mean anything about input devices (with A/D converter inside).

      As far as I understand it, Windows 7 treats every input as an own audio device (much in contrast to the trusty old Windows XP, where one soundcard = one audio device, regardless of how many 'input lines' (mic, line-in, cd-player) it had. And, those devices were always 'visible' to the software.

      If you have, you could plug some other audio *input* device (like an USB "microphone") into the laptop, and see what happens.
      As long as the windows function 'waveInGetNumDevs()' reports there are *no* (zero) wave-input-devices on your machine, we're out of luck, and I have no idea why it behaves this way. Because this is what Spectrum Lab uses internally, to find out if (and how many) such devices are available. The result returned by waveInGetNumDevs() is also what SL now reports in the debug-run-log. As long as the result is 0 (zero devices available), we're out of the game.

      Am 27.10.2012 00:14, schrieb john_s_colton:

      The only "soundcard" I have is the built-in capability of the motherboard. (This is a standard Dell computer, in case I didn't mention that before. Optiplex 990.)

      I tried disabling my antivirus program just now (Symantec Endpoint Protection), but the same error message occurred.

      As mentioned, I haven't had any issues with any other sound programs, and am indeed listening to music with foobar2000 even as I type this.

      If you're out of ideas, I guess we'll table this for now. Let me know if you think of anything else.

      Thanks for trying!

      John

> [...]
      > in a 'Sandbox', preventing access to most devices ? This is pure
      > speculation, of course. The antivirus software used here (avast) once
      > suggested to run a program which it didn't know in a sandbox. Maybe a
      > similar issue ?
      >
      > On my Windows 7 PC, Spectrum Lab runs without problems even without
      > admin privileges, and it can access all audio devices (the internal
      > onboard 'soundcard' as well as external devices plugged via USB). So I'm
      > a bit lost at this point. Hoping for suggestions from other users, with
      > more windows (7 / Vista) experience than myself.
      >

      > Am 26.10.2012 00:46, schrieb john_s_colton:
      > >

      > > Oh, OK. I installed the new version on top of the old version,
      > > overwriting files as prompted. I ran it in debug mode. Here's the most
      > > applicable section:
      > >
      > > 22:42:49.0 Initialising audio devices..
      > > 22:42:49.0 InitAudioDevices, IN: DeviceName='-1' -> DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:49.0 InitAudioDevices, OUT: DeviceName='-1' ->
      > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:49.0 Opening or re-opening audio device for input
      > > 22:42:49.0 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID('-1'): Enumerating wave-input
      > > devices. Windows reports 0 :
      > > 22:42:49.0 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID: No perfect match; best bet is
      > > device #-1 = '' .
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: Trying to open "", ID #-1, 11025 Hz, 16
      > > bit, 1 channel(s), for input.
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: waveInOpen failed. Trying again to open
      > > audio device for input, using WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE
      > > 22:42:49.0 CSound::InOpen: Failed to open multimedia audio device for
      > > input
      > > 22:42:49.0 Back from SoundDev->InOpen, result=2
      > > 22:42:49.0 Sound devices started
      > > 22:42:49.0 Back from InitAudioDevices .
      > > 22:42:51.3 Initialising audio devices..
      > > 22:42:51.3 InitAudioDevices, IN: DeviceName='-1' -> DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:51.3 InitAudioDevices, OUT: DeviceName='-1' ->
      > > DeviceType=Soundcard .
      > > 22:42:51.3 Opening or re-opening audio device for input
      > > 22:42:51.3 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID('-1'): Enumerating wave-input
      > > devices. Windows reports 0 :
      > > 22:42:51.3 InputDeviceNameToDeviceID: No perfect match; best bet is
      > > device #-1 = '' .
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: Trying to open "", ID #-1, 11025 Hz, 16
      > > bit, 1 channel(s), for input.
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: waveInOpen failed. Trying again to open
      > > audio device for input, using WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE
      > > 22:42:51.3 CSound::InOpen: Failed to open multimedia audio device for
      > > input
      > > 22:42:51.3 Back from SoundDev->InOpen, result=2
      > > 22:42:51.3 Sound devices started
      > > 22:42:51.3 Back from InitAudioDevices .
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In SpectrumLabUsers@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:SpectrumLabUsers%40yahoogroups.com>, wolf_dl4yhf <dl4yhf@>
      > > wrote:

      > > > Ignore the text on the webpage. I simply didn't update that page yet,

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic