recommendations?

  • sabrina0004
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
      Hello,

      Can anyone recommend an O.T. or a ped. in Salem with specialization in the sensory issue area?
      Thanks,
      Sabrina
    • MomWUx2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        I know a fantastic one in Oregon City if you want someone who specializes.  Neurotheraputics is wonderful and worth the drive if you want to make it.

        Melenie

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
          Hi Melenie,

          Thank you. I'd love to have the contact info. We would drive for someone fantastic! I have not been finding anyone with sensory specialties thus far--frustrating.
          Sabrina

        • MomWUx2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
            Sabrina,

            We used them for the first time in 1996 for my nephew (whom we had custody of) who has sensory integration issues, attachment issues and ADHD.  It was wonderful!  I was so relieved then to find someone with SI as a specialty...heck, I was happy to find someone who knew what it was!  They were covered by our insurance, a bonus!  The easiest way to get contact information is via their website at:

            www.nt4kids.com

            It helped him tremendously and now he does very well (he'll be 16 in July).  Good luck!

            Melenie

            Thank you. I'd love to have the contact info. We would drive for someone fantastic! I have not been finding anyone with sensory specialties thus far--frustrating.
            Sabrina

            --- In Special_HS_OR@ yahoogroups. com, MomWUx2@... wrote:

            > I know a fantastic one in Oregon City if you want someone who specializes. ? Neurotheraputics is wonderful and worth the drive if you want to make it.
            >
            > Melenie

          • sabrina0004
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
              Melenie,

              I'm so glad to hear that your nephew is doing well and obviously learned a way to cope with some of the issues. I'm hopeful that my daughter will too. What a relief to see a website that actually lists sensory integration specialization in therapist bios. I can relate with needing someone to recognize and not think I am 'nuts' for mentioning SPD. Thanks again for your assistance. I appreciate it so much.

            • MomWUx2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
                Sabrina, good luck!  That's exactly how I felt.  I thought for sure I was crazy as every professional looked at me that way.  CJ could barely function at home and not at all at school.  He couldn't get help because he was meeting grade standard but being in a classroom made in just crazy.  It was all sensory overload.  And because I had custody of him but was unable to adopt him (per his parents request) I had to have him in public school-ack!  They gave us so many great coping skills but also the therapy he so desperately needed to be able to function in the world.  He's back with his mom and while she is not sensitive to this need, he now as the tools necessary to help himself (and my husband and I still offer him as much support as possible).  He attends public school (even works in the wood and auto shops and can handle the noise and textures on his hands) and gets fantastic grades, he plays sports, is active in extracurricular activities and has friends.  For a time we weren't sure if any of this would be possible.  There are certain things he still can't tolerate (specific textures of blankets, seams at the end of his socks, certain foods (he only ate pasta when he was little) and some tones of noise) but now he can articulate this issue, they can avoid the things that really bother him and the things he can't avoid he has coping skills for.  It did take a few years and home therapy but he is doing so well now.  I wish you all the best of luck on this endeavor.  There is hope!