social gatherings, field trips, park outings or other activities?

  • angelsaroundtheworld_acc
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi Everyone...

      I have been homeschooling now for a couple years. My son, Matthew, is globally developmentally delayed and while he is 15 years old he still enjoys activities that are geared for the very young (pre-school) child. Matthew is an only child.

      I have found it incredibly difficult to find community activities to take Matthew to for fun, socializing and for modeling of other children because at his age he doesn't do the typical classes offered in the community. He struggles with walking and requires assistance, is non-verbal but loves being able to be around other kids, 'sing' songs, play at the park, etc.

      We are in the SE Portland Metro area in Milwaukie, Oregon.

      I was wondering what kind of social activities that you and your children are doing and if there are any social groups that any of you are aware of that are not so age restrictive that are geared for the younger child and are taking place now that we might be able to explore.

      Thank you very much.

      I hope everyone has a wonderful week. :)

      Sandie
    • Melenie
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
        Oh, I would love social activites as well.  I have an 8 year old that is definitely more like kindergarten in motor skills and some social skills.  Would people be willing to come to events if they were planned?

         Melenie
        www.courage4kennedy.com
        www.igotsomethingmore.blogspot.com
        www.homeschoolblogger.com/APHSmomx2
        www.onerisingstarcowboy.blogspot.com

        "If it's a problem that can be solved with money, it's not really a problem"
        -Drew Carey

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
          I would. We live in Gresham. My daughter is 10 and we are looking for social buddies to hang out and do girl sleep overs. She is functioning at about age 6 on some levels and 16 on others. She is aspergers with fetal alcohol.

          Anyone in our area that wants a new friend? We HS and do resources at East Gresham

          Debby

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
            I would definitely be interested in discussing more about planned
            social activities for our kids and finding out what other parents are doing to get their kids involved in community groups, social activities and gatherings.

            One thing I have experienced both in the school system and sometimes even in the community is that when a child doesn't necessarily fit in with 'society's standards' it is far too easy for them to become isolated and not be included and welcomed in a group activity setting with other children who are developing on a typical developmental level. I always had to fight for Matthew while he was in school to be sure he WAS mainstreamed and included in activities that would benefit him and I still believe that it is no different in community based activities and gatherings.

            Sandie *Mom to 15 year old Matthew in SE Milwaukie, Oregon*

            --- In Special_HS_OR@yahoogroups.com, Faith2grace <faith2grace04@...> wrote:

            > I would. We live in Gresham. My daughter is 10 and we are looking for social buddies to hang out and do girl sleep overs. She is functioning at about age 6 on some levels and 16 on others. She is aspergers with fetal alcohol.
            >
            > Anyone in our area that wants a new friend? We HS and do resources at East Gresham
            >
            > Debby
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Carol Blackman
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
              I agree, Sandie. Even homeschoolers can be exclusive without meaning harm.
              For years we TRIED so hard to do things with other homeschooled kids.
              Christopher attended Awana with all homeschooled kids from the time he was 6
              but the others were all were in homeschool sports together and he wasn't
              sport oriented so he never had any friends. He didn't fit into their sport
              talk. Then we did some science classes with a co-op-like group in Estacada
              and he fit better with those kids than any others previously, but still he
              didn't have "friends." Eventually we met 2 brothers who live in Aloha (an
              hour's drive away) who are about the same age, at a missions event, and now
              they play chess about once a month, go to the Missionary Fly In each summer
              together, go spelunking and hiking when we can, together. But it wasn't
              until he was about 14 he met them. By then we were used to being loners and
              not being invited to participate in "co-op" classes all the other local kids
              we knew were attending. He got invited to a local birthday party -- the
              FIRST birthday party he's ever been invited to -- at age 17! I realize his
              diet (severe restrictions - no gluten, no milk, no nuts, no eggs, etc) would
              be intimidating to other families (but I always provide his food everywhere
              he goes) and because we didn't have birthday parties for him due to having a
              very small home, he'd never been asked to join other kids for a birthday
              party before. The mom of the birthday boy is a new friend of mine and she
              really enjoyed having Christopher in the youth group when she was one of the
              leaders, so I know she was the one who had her son invite Christopher, more
              than her own son thinking of it. It was rather bitter-sweet for him to get
              invited to a birthday party after all these years. Now that he's a teen,
              the girls all like him and the boys show him respect, but I can't say I've
              ever seen any of the local homeschool boys ever start a conversation with
              him as their friends are around and it's easier to converse with them about
              sports. He now takes algebra at the local highschool and interestingly
              some guys from there talk with him. He may initiate the conversations, I
              don't know, but once in awhile a couple of the public school kids volunteer
              at the food bank also and they talk while they break down boxes. They
              aren't anyone we'd ever do any activities with as the one who talks the most
              is into very violent video games, but it's nice to see them talking with
              each other while they work.

              So even though it is really frustrating when your children are young and it
              seems the other families just are not interested in talking with you.
              Hopefully someday friends will come into your child's life and they'll be
              true friends.

              Also, I used to go to the Homeschooling Moms meetings in hopes of connecting
              with another homeschool mom and maybe our kids could do things together. It
              was very lonely inspite of there being about 8 homeschooled boys the same
              age as mine in our area. The other moms all chatted together merrily and
              I'd sit there by myself. When I did start a conversation with anyone, they
              usually found someone they knew to start talking with. After a couple years
              I gave up attending those gatherings as I always felt worse after going, as
              it seemed hopeless that I'd ever find a friend for Christopher or another
              mom who understood what it was like to teach a delayed learner. Now, in the
              last couple years, some of them have come to me for advice about children
              with problems. One has really gone out of her way to try to compliment me
              when I'm wearing something she likes, and I know it's not been easy for her
              to step away from the knot of moms to say something to me, but I have really
              appreciated her efforts. I don't feel I really need her friendship as I've
              gotten used to coming/going with no one saying more than Hi/bye, but I've
              sensed she may need mine friendship as one of her kids has some mental
              issues now. Maybe she is realizing her friends don't understand, but I am
              always willing to listen and to pray with her for her child.

              So after about 6 years of real loneliness, and about 3 years of accepting
              that we'd never have good friends in the homeschool community, we now have
              some friends! Just a couple of them is enough and we feel very blessed.

              I wish none of you ever endured the loneliness you no doubt have
              experienced, but I want to encourage you to connect with one another when
              you can and not give up 100% on the ones around you. Their insensitivity to
              your situation can be hard to endure, but as the years pass, things
              hopefully will change for you as they have for us.

              Richest Blessings,
              Carol

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
                Hi Carol...

                Thank you for your very nice response from your heart.

                I'm so happy that your son eventually was able to find a place where he thrived and fit in and glad he has some really nice friends.

                I know that we will find something for my son, Matthew, to do where he is able to be around other children and I have grown quite accustomed to the two of us playing together and finding activities for the two of us but I will always look for something that he enjoys. I also know that through prayer and guidance from God that there will be a door that opens for Matthew that will allow him to become involved in some activity where he can fit in and have fun and be around other children.

                Happy Easter to you and your family.

                Thank you again.

                Sandie *Mom to 15 year old Matthew in Portland metro area*